TKR Suz's Recovery Journey

Thank you, @Suz , for that detailed description of your recovery therapy on your terms. That will be so helpful for other people.
It is so useful to know, from your experience, that there is no need to rush or do lots of exercise to get ROM.

The ROM is always there, but it needs the right conditions, so that it can reveal itself. Time, gentle treatment, and a reduction in swelling will allow it to appear.

Like all the surgeons in his group, my surgeon does not allow any PT at all in the first month after surgery, apart from being shown how to get into and out of bed, walk with walker, crutches or sticks, and negotiate stairs safely. After that first month, he recommends one PT session every two weeks. That's all. His patients all do well and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the last 3 years.
i did no formal PT at all after my last TKR and it has recovered well, with excellent ROM and good strength and reliability.
 
I know you like Snoopy, he has the right idea

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
HAHA!! I love that Clara! I'll have to add it to my 'feel better file'! Very fitting for us around here!
 
Suz, that diary is terrific! If you're agreeable, I am going to use that for other members who fear having to lay down rules with the PT. Perfect!
 
Thank You @Josephine! Whatever I can do to help I'm happy to. I would have been the very one being tortured by uninformed therapist' had it not been for the information and unending support from bonesmart!
 
I just read through your thread Suz. All I can is WOW! What a journey in learning and healing. I appreciate you being here for us who are still in the learning phase. Thank you!
 
Oh dear.. I've been having so much fun in everyone else's threads I forgot to update mine yesterday after my 8wks visit to have my OS re-measure my flexion. Had it not increased much we were to further discuss his recommendation for an MUA.

(For those new to my thread I was told 2wks ago at 50*s flexion I needed an MUA. I just wasn't quite ready for another surgery so I suggested I work on it for another 2wks).

Continue on..

My new flexion was beaming on his goniometer at 92*s! He was quite impressed with the 40*s increase in only 2wks! I was so overwhelmed in joy when he didn't even bring up the MUA I hugged him on my way out!

I've got some smart needed rehab ahead of me to get my flexion back up there where I can climb up on a hobby horse with my nieces in the future- haha! But not having to go back in for additional treatment this soon after my TKR has me psyched and ready for that smart rehab!

Thanks Again for the unending support and priceless friendships I've found here at BoneSmart!! Keep resting those knees and worries folks- life does carry on after a Total Knee Replacement!

...don't worry, you aren't rid of me yet. HAHA!! = )

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I never want to be rid of you! Your threads and responses are so uplifting for all of us!
 
Wonderful news @Suz about your increase in flexion. So glad you won't have to go through a MUA like me! Keep up the good work! Couldn't be happier for you! :yes!:
 
That's terrific Suz, two weeks and 2X increase. Must be that country air, the place looks great.
 
So glad you won't have to go through a MUA like me! Keep up the good work! Couldn't be happier for you! :yes!:

Thank You Julie! Prior to all of our TKR's we were living debilitating days. We pressed on to get our replacements for better quality of life. Nothing most of us really wanted to do- but, we pressed on anyway. The same with those who need more flexion. They press on by way of an MUA to better their lives. Just as you have! And soon your story here will help many others gain the courage they need to better their lives!

Gotta run, I need to see if you've given us an update on how your day has been!! = )
 
Great report! I'm very happy that you are doing so well. It is amazing isn't it that the less is more seems to work?
 
Wonderful report. Rest comfortably!
 
Congrats on your progress Suz! your ROM is really coming along so well.
I also canceled my MUA the day before I suppose to have it....so glad I did!! My ROM is now 113 and still improving. THANKS to Bonesmart for encouraging me to rethink the MUA!.
 
Isn't it amazing what our bodies can do in just a few days! I'm so glad you waited.
 
:yes!::cheers: Awesome news Suz! Slow and steady and you'll be on that hobby horse soon enough.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom