Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Cate has a bed right along beside you. I empty food dish and napping. What more could you ask for?!
 
Glad you're home Susie! It must feel great, and you seem to be doing very well. It's heartening to read your posts and realise that soon I, too, will be in recovery mode! I have only four days to go and I'll be in surgery! Think I'll set up my recovery thread today. I'd planned to take an Ipad to hospital so I could keep in touch, but the thing has decided that now is a good time to play up! Bought a new cord for it but it still won't charge. My daughter said she'll take it and try to get it going tomorrow. All the best, and keep on taking it easy!
 
Day 10: (Part Two) Family Dinner

While the rest of the family stayed downstairs to watch TV, play games, and cook dinner on this family Saturday, I rested, elevated, and iced. A lot. I also slept a lot. And then, as planned, I went downstairs to join the family for dinner.

Their surprise at how smoothly I walk with a walker showed right away. I was walking so badly and painfully before--to paint a picture, I lurched--it must seem strange to see me walk with ease, walker notwithstanding. The question of whether my knees hurt less now than before came up. Yep, hurt less now!

Mr. Shoes was a bit generous with my portions for the meal. Part of that is simply being at an Italian table; portions are oversized. The other part is he hasn't absorbed that my appetite is still "off." I'm not very hungry. Though I will say this food was so tasty I was glad to eat plenty of it!

Everyone was happy to see me. Video of me was sent to the family member away on a business trip. It's important to check-in and make sure everyone's accounted for, you see. I hung around for one quick game of cards. It was just one, and it was quick. I'm now upstairs again on my bed, legs elevated and ice packs in place. Other than feeling just a hair overstuffed, I'm doing great. We'll see what the knees say later.

Right now, I'm quite simply tired and ready for another nap.
 
Well done! You handled the family day beautifully.
I'm glad they were all impressed with how well you are walking.
 
Okay... so I just have to know - what was served? I love your thread, and I love how you and mr. Shoes had a plan for the family dinner and socializing and it worked. May you sleep well again tonight.
 
I'll be thinking of you @Faele. I debated taking my iPad. In the end, I took only my phone. The iPad is certainly better for writing posts! Typing those first hospital posts on that tiny phone keyboard had its moments. But it got the job done, and I'm glad I kept a thread of those early days.

I found that as the day of surgery got closer, right up to driving to the hospital, I got calmer. It was getting done. Fin.
 
@jaschembra, pasta with gravy, of course! LOL. Green beans. Salmon or steak (for those who don't eat seafood). Crusty bread with butter. Cute cupcakes with celebratory sparkles and stars... those were for me. Nothing fancy, just lots of it. I skipped the ice cream course. Just too much food!
 
Day 11: Sleep, Love and Understanding

Many aspects of recovering from TKR are difficult. It's not enough that the knees are angry and demanding, the bowels also go on strike. And sleep... sleep becomes a battlefield.

Mr. Shoes and I share a bed. It's been a lovely arrangement until now, but my knees have become a third party of sorts. Making my knees happy involves sacrifices: I'm a side sleeper, but the knees want me on my back; Mr. Shoes like to sleep on the left side of the bed, but I must sleep on that side now because it's better for using the walker to get to the bathroom; elevation is good for the knees, but if I raise the foot of our bed, Mr. Shoes gets an angry, aggravated hip. Sleep is the new bane of our existence.

Little by little, we're coming up with solutions. The bed stays flat... much to the relief of Mr. Shoes hip. Instead of raising the foot of the bed, I use my contour leg elevator all night. That makes my knees happy. If I need to raise my head, I use pillows. `

Last night, we got six hours of sleep interrupted only by a bathroom break. That was me. I'm still hydrating like a water witch. In addition to the trauma of surgery itself, there's blood loss to recover from. Also drinking plenty of fluids helps the body flush out that nasty swelling that builds up in the healing knee.

My legs are noticeable less swollen today. There was stiffness upon waking up, but once I got moving around--taking my shower, getting dressed, going downstairs to get breakfast--the stiffness was mostly gone. Some mild pain upon going down the stairs. Much less pain, in fact, than prior to surgery.

Taking a restful day today. Tomorrow I see the OS and have my first appointment with PT. A new phase in recovery is beginning.
 
Sounds like a wonderful report of your new life (currently driven and managed by two new shiny knees). Soon you will take a pillow between your legs, and you will hold your knees together and roll onto your side. It's a beautiful thing! :) Have a great day.
 
Plus I've always wanted a standard poodle! But I do love my chi mix mutt buddy for now. He's delightfully low maintenance.
 
Hi, @SusieShoes! I hope you live somewhere near Denver as you are just delightful! I am going on week 6 after my second TKR (doc wouldn't do them together) and looking for some other bionic knees to hang with!
The bed adventures are the same at my house. Mr. K is walled off from my side of the bed by a stack of pillows, but I wake up every few hours flat anyway. My body likes sleeping on my side not matter what.
Keep on trucking! I've got one more week in support stockings, then we are off to Florida for a surprise trip for our one daughter for making it through middle school.:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so stressed about having to change sides of the bed after my next surgery. What? Blasphemy. I've always slept on the right side. I might as well sleep in the bathtub for as weird as that's gonna feel.
 
Thanks all. :smile2: The pillow between the legs is going to work. I tried it for about a half hour last night and it was surprisingly comfortable. I can't ice them that way, and it's not the height of elevation, but I can see switching over soon for sleep purposes, I would also love to reclaim my side of the bed. It conforms so perfectly to my body... or at least it used to.

Dogs are the best. Always happy to see you. Always happy when you say or do something with them.

@BossK, I'm a Philly girl. But Colorado is so beautiful I can't imagine you'd want to be anywhere else!
 
@Jenzoo Hahahahahaha! I felt the same way! But after two and a half weeks on the couch I didn't care!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bed side is a major issue! After my partial, I could only get in the bed on the side other than I slept on. But the funny thing is, I got so used to it over here, I never went back!
My husband couldn't care less- he could sleep standing on the roof in a snow storm!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Susie, I'm moving back to my side of the bed tonight. I agree, it conforms to my body and I miss it. I start week 5 tomorrow. What a difference another week makes! Less pain, stiffness, and improved mobility. Things are so much better now that I've made the decision to slow down and embrace a slower pace. Keeping to medication schedules and listening to my body's needs have made me much happier. I now can sit on the toilet and get up without pain or a handle. I just made and put enchiladas in the oven and went to the store to buy flowers with my 37 year old daughter this morning. It all felt wonderful!
 
I admire all you people who manage to sleep at all in the same bed as your other halves after a knee replacement! I knew I would have disturbed sleep and I was so worried that my husband, who has restless legs, would accidentally kick my new knee. So, I moved into the spare bedroom for a couple of months.

The positive side of that was that if I couldn't sleep I could watch mindless TV without disturbing my husband, and I had no worries about hurting my knee by accident.
The negative was that I missed holding his hand while I went to sleep. Normally, we fall asleep holding hands.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom