Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

It's good to hear that you're home and everything is going well.
Your job now is to look after your knee and yourself.
 
Best wishes. I'm starting week 5 on Monday. This site has been a wealth of information and support. I ordered the most wonderful Cold therapy support from Polar Ice. It is made of soft fleece material and encapsulates the entire knee. They are SO comfortable and effective!!!
 
@SusieShoes, I'm happy you are doing well. I always get caught up on your thread to see how you are. Your positive spirit is encouraging! You are so brave doing them together. That had been my original intent but now they will be 10 weeks apart. My next one coming up soon!

@Summer2017 could you give the specifics on what machine and attachments you ordered? I rented one for the first 5 weeks which was crazy instead of buying. I'm using cold packs now but have my second surgery soon. Thanks and I hope I didn't sideline Susie's thread!
 
The pinprick of dementia popping Susie's bubble (and a glimpse inside my world... caring for an elder with dementia requires a sense of humor):

After I come downstairs for dinner using a cane, 94 year old FIL eyes me up. "What did you do? Get a new leg?"

Me, flashing him two fingers. "Two!"

"No! Two?" Shakes head. "Two pieces of :censored:!”

I think he was expecting better. :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
@SusieShoes I am so impressed and encouraged by your recovery. I had hoped to have both done at same time but my OS says no. I hope your recovery continues to be as good as it's been.
 
And the discussion of icing... I'm going old school and sending Mr. Shoes to fetch gel packs from the freezer. It was a clutter situation decision. We have a small bedroom, paraphernalia on every surface, and a largish poodle. I would need two machines. Seeing as I had been using giant gel packs (each is 2' x 2') on my pre-op knee to good results--I.e. we already have them--we decided to try that first.

I would love to be able to experiment with and report on one of these units.
 
Last edited:
The pinprick of dementia popping Susie's bubble (and a glimpse inside my world... caring for an elder with dementia requires a sense of humor):
I know where you're coming from, Susie. You have to laugh or you'd cry. My mother developed dementia and we would have to tell her things time and time again.
My sis-in-law had a successful operation to remove bowel cancer. Day after day, Mum would ask "Why hasn't Pat come to see me?" We'd tell her why and Mum would get upset all over again. She wouldn't be put off with anything but the truth, though.
I'm going old school and sending Mr. Shoes to fetch gel packs from the freezer. It was a clutter situation decision. We have a small bedroom, paraphernalia on every surface, and a largish poodle. I would need two machines. Seeing as I had been using giant gel packs (each is 2 x 2) on my pre-op knee to good results--I.e. we already have them--we decided to try that first.
I guess I must be "old school" too. I've used gel packs for all three of my knee replacements.
I liked them and they are still in the freezer. My granddaughters go to them for all their bumps and bruises.
 
GameReady has a "Y" hose that can service 2 pads :smile2: but it is rather expensive:umm:

DUAL CONNECTOR HOSE

DETAILS

  • Use one control unit to run any two wraps – treat two patients or two injuries at once.
  • Delivers simultaneous air and fluid flow to both wraps.
  • Features one-button, quick-connect convenience for ease-of-use.
  • 5-foot total length, 4 feet from “Y” split to wrap.
 
@SusieShoes, another great day for you and a very informative post! I hope you are home, comfortably tucked into bed now, safe in The Land of Nod!
 
Day 10: Family Saturday

Spent a wonderfully restful night, awakening once for pain control meds and a bladder break (right back to sleep after) and the second time because my legs wanted to move. My squirming woke up Mr. Shoes, who like me is an early riser anyway, so we just began our day. I iced the first part of the night, and just elevated for the rest. My contoured wedge in combo with our bed that raises and lowers at head and feet is very comfy! Currently elevating and icing again, and looking forward to my first shower at home.

My knees are stiff this morning, but not much pain. I've done some mild stretches and taken a few turns with my walker around the upstairs. My house is small, so this doesn't constitute much walking, but it felt good doing it. I look forward to tomorrow when I can move Operation Recovery downstairs to my recliner and where the walking paths are longer. More ADL to be done on the ground floor: letting the dog out, making a snack, longer walk to the toilet.

Now begins the process of integrating Operation Recovery with the facts of life. Facts of My Life:

1. Mr. Shoes is my soulmate and might be a saint.
2. His 94 year old father with dementia lives with us and complicates things a great deal.
3. We have a Big Italian Family, which means weekends must be spent with each other. No exceptions.

There are other facts, but those are the most pertinent.

That's why we're having company this weekend. Notice I did say "we." Mr. Shoes is hosting. I am ensconced in my Bedroom of Recovery. I will be elevating, icing, resting, and taking my meds while I browse the internet between naps. I will come down sometime around dinner to show everyone I am alive and well, show off my new knees ("Look at her! She can walk across the room!") and partake of good food. After which I will head back upstairs to ice, elevate and go back to sleep. I'm doing no work at all, and the minimum of socializing. NOT having the family was NOT an option. But me needing to separate from activities for a while--no cooking, no playing games, no hour-long talks about how to resolve the latest family crisis--was happily accepted`.

My first post in the pre-op area was about how to deal with this close, sometimes bossy, sometimes selfish (but always loyal and loving) family. I wasn't sure I could stand up for myself. With encouragement, I learned how. I also learned that other people mostly want to help. They were happy for me to show them what I needed, so they could best figure out how to help me while also addressing their own needs.

My first New Knees Family Saturday should be very peaceful.
 
I found early on that a little bit of visiting went a long way. I loved seeing and talking to everyone, for about 15-20 minutes, then I was done. Noise and chaos (which as a 1st grade teacher I was accustomed to) made be edgy in the first month or so. Heading back upstairs is a good plan.
 
I find your posts Susie to be humorous and uplifting; thanks:loll:I start my 5th week on Monday and have been pleased with my recovery so far, with exception of a few days or hours of feeling depressed. This was due to trying to manipulate pain medication in hopes of speeding up my recovery. That was a poor choice! I've worked out my faulting thinking with the help of this forum. Bone Smart's approach to recovery has helped me relax and gave me permission to slow down and take this time for me.
I accept and understand that pain and long days are a necessary part of surgery. Planning ahead prior to surgery by setting up and getting everything in place has made this transition so much easier and almost eliminated anxiety. I now allow myself to stay on top of pain, which has helped me stay positive and much more content.
 
Aw, thanks, @AlaskaGrandy. I'm glad you find my posts worth reading. Threads by earlier recovering BSers helped me tremendously in working through my many questions. Like you say, we go into TKR knowing it's complicated and the recovery will be long and painful. But there are so many other things that go along with that, that we control, and we can make easier on ourselves. I truly believe the best thing we can give ourselves is a positive, less stressful head space for as long as our knees need to recover.
 
Welcome home! Sounds like the next phase of healing is off to a good start!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You have made out a very smart and logical plan for yourself this weekend with your visiting relatives. Now, just be sure to stick to it and not let anyone come up to your bedroom with you!
 
So far, so good, @sistersinhim. No one up here with me but an empty plate from lunch and my old poodle Cate. She's 13 and prefers peace and tranquility just like her mom.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SusieShoes' New Knees
    IMG_0721.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 230
It sounds as if you've made a very sensible plan for your family Saturday, Susie.
If any of your wonderful family comes upstairs to visit while you're resting, perhaps you could pretend to fall asleep?
I genuinely did fall asleep more than once when I had a visitor. They quietly went away and left me in peace.
 
Thanks, @Celle, that's good advice! Though I think I wouldn't have to pretend. Like you, I would just nod off. I'm napping lots today!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom