Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I love your thread! I am a fellow BTKR, with surgery on 24 Apr 17. I was so eager for inpatient rehab, but no such luck for me. Apparently I was doing so well immediately post-op that they didn't think they could justify the need to my insurance company. Though truth be told, my OS was never really on board with the idea of inpatient rehab from the beginning. His number one concern was risk of infection, followed by the uncertainty of what kind of facility I would land in. So, less than 48 hours after surgery I was in the comfort of my own bed, with my 77 year old mom waiting on me hand and foot.
I have progressed well following the BoneSmart ways, but still wonder if I would be further along had I been given the specialized care of rehab.
Regardless, I am pleased with my surgery and results and am looking forward to a pain-free life!
Keep writing and inspiring the rest of us! And happy healing!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't know that either @Celle, but it made perfect sense when you explained it.

@SusieShoes, I noticed you had lidocaine patches on the medial sides of your knees. Did your OS order them? I use them for my back and have wondered if they may help knee pain when I saw them in your picture. That medial side of my left surgical knee is where I have quite a bit of pain. Interesting!
 
Yes, @becticu, those are lidocaine patches. The nurse puts them on in the morning and they're removed in the evening.

Nurse always asks if they're helping. I always say I don't know. I've only experienced BTKR daytime pain while already wearing lidocaine. That said, my pain is well-managed, so maybe, right? :fasthorse:
 
My OS and I wanted rehab for different reasons. My OSs are the better ones.

He wanted me to "get off to a good start," and he wasn't thinking PT.

He and I and Mr. Shoes had a talk. Among the issues discussed is that we have a demented 94 year old living with us much of the time. As OS said, "I want you to focus on you."

That, and PT. :heehee: We talked about the BS mantras, much of which he agrees with and the rehab implements, but I think he wanted to expose me to a more rigorous PT approach.

Mission accomplished, Doc!

Soooo.... have I gotten off to a good start? Yes! If i'd gone straight home I would have gotten less rest. And I really did learn great things from PT and OT. Glad I did it this way so far.

Your OS is right about infection risk, @dsteff22.

Could I have gone right home and done well? I'm sure of it.
 
Day 8: Transition from Rehab to Home, Part One

I physically transfer from this facility tomorrow, but lots of the turning over of the keys is happening today. In just a couple of hours, I will be getting permission to use my walker without supervision.

The liberation!

Until then, as for the last week, I have to call a nurse or care tech away from her other work. True, supervising my self-care is also part of that work. Still, taking a nurse away from something else for the express purpose of watching me walk to the bathroom and pee, or because I fancy a few turns in the hall, is a waste of her time.

Once the supervision restraint is removed, I foresee more walks in my future.

Walking has become my main activity. My knees are always grumpy at first, but loosen up. I do gentle stretches in preparation. Heel slides. Ankle pumps.

I've noticed the more often I use my legs, the less stiff the knees become. They "like" being used. Main challenge: do not over it. Short walks, moving from recliner to couch, from desk chair.

Which is another part of the transition. I'm going to be reunited with my army of devices. I'm really looking forward to getting back my laptop.

Along with that... I get Mr. Shoes and his father. And my sweet old dog. My recovery is about to become "our" recovery.
 
Definitely. My knees like being used. After riding around on that scooter yesterday, I git up to eat lunch and they were so stiff.
 
Better stay out of trouble while roaming the hallways today, solo!! :)
 
I'm passing with flying colors! ADL. Stairs and cars. Next up? Home exercises. Though I like to think I aced the material, it possible they just want to see the last of my perky grin.
 
Yah for you! It will be good to get home but you will have to put the knee first. You have some demands at home that a lot don't. I took care of my 83 year old Momma last year for 9 months after she has a stroke. She is total care. I wouldnt trade that time for anything but it took a toil on my body. Thankfully we were able to get her back in her home where she longed to be with a caregiver. Your father-in-law may not demand a lot physically but dementia takes a terrible toil on caregivers emotionally as I know you know! The week we got my Momma moved back to Fl we got my husbands Mom from NY living with us. She had dementia and I believe the emotional toil of that was harder than the physical toil of my Momma. As caregivers we ignore ourselves sometimes, you can't do that! My thoughts and prayers are with you as you transition home!:prayer:
 
The transition to home continues. I am independent with my walker. I use the bathroom, tend to hygiene, and just changed into my bed clothes. None of it is difficult, only tiring,

And BTKR is tiring. Even the simplest activities drain the healing body. Today I fell asleep while talking to my mother. Later, I and an intrepid tech (doing wheelchair duty to my Miss Daisy) tracked down the rehab's elusive notary so I could mail my application for a temporary disability placard.


Walking is doable and rewarding. I can feel my stride reasserting itself, natural and easy. When the knees stiffen, the illusion fades. My knees are newborns. They need time to grow and get strong.

My PT of the day told me it was fine to put ice under the knee, so I did. Ice! The nirvana of knee-pain relief. That is until the cheap papery bags open and I find my butt sitting on soaked icy bedsheets. Fortunately I had spare bottoms!

In bed now, with oxy in my blood and nice warm covers, and the distraction of spammers calling to inform me there's no problem with my credit card account, I am feeling no pain. The knees are content with the work they've done today. It's stunning to have Mr. Shoes note that I am walking so much better than I was just months ago.

Because yeah... yeah, I am.

Getting sleepy. Tomorrow will be a big day.
 
Good luck in your transition home! I know you'll continue to rock it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 9: Home

After a flurry of activity, I am home. Home feels so great!

Using a cane, I had no trouble climbing the three 8"steps to my house. Next, the full flight to the upper floors. Again, no problem.

Before surgery those stairs hurt me far more, and were far more difficult for me -- lurching from step to step on my one still-functioning knee -- than what I just did. These new knees are already awesome and I haven't even finished healing into them yet.

Mr. Shoes is out filling my scripts and picking up a couple things. Me? I'm lying in bed, legs elevated on a contoured wedge and knees icing the way I wish I could have done in rehab.

Life is good!

:ice:
 
Last edited:
Glad you're home. Let the journey continue. Please be very careful. Stay on top of your meds. Sounds like you're doing great!
 
Yippee, home, sweet home! Being able to finally elevate the correct way is a much improvement over what you did the last week or so. You know the guidelines. Be sure and follow them closely and you'll do great!
 
Glad to hear your home, elevating, icing and resting. I predict a weekend full of naps! :sleep:
 
I'm definitely power-napping. I'm so tired!

And yes, I'm finally practicing the mantras the way I always hoped to do. More rest than therapy. A gentler focus on healing from within, using my body's natural rhythms and energy.

I'm fortunate I don't have many demands being made of me. My children are older and raising families. My husband and his sister are handling everything with their elderly father. My job is completely self-directed and I've given myself time off.

Though I'm heartened by my good start. I want to take it slow and steady.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom