Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I think pointing at the mess and poufing it gone would be really the best--a la "Bewitched." It's the sorting and decision-making that drives me crazy.

I too am wondering how your shoulder's doing, @SusieShoes.
 
Last edited:
My shoulder is better, though not yet 100%. I've had to baby it all week and that was certainly annoying. Feel like I've been babying body parts all year!

Plus side: I have reclaimed the closet! In the process I've donated two bins of clothing. Thanks to all my walking I out shrunk a lot of my wardrobe. :egypdance: I'm so happy about that I could burst into song. Except nobody wants that, so I won't. :heehee:

As for the knees... 100% pain free, limber, sturdy and happy. :loveshwr:
 
Five Months: Recovery, Stage Three

Recovery from TKR takes about a year. My OS told me this, and that's what we say here on BoneSmart, so I reckon that's the way this will play out. And yet, here at the five months mark, I feel... recovered.

Remember how Lefty was the bane of my recovery? Cranky, temperamental, pokey Lefty. I worried my left knee might never achieve the kind of recovery Righty had aced early on. Maybe my left knee -- the one I'd let get so badly wrecked by arthritis that even standing up five hours after surgery wasn't as painful -- would never quite be right. I came to a kind of peace with that. It was still better than before. Lots better.

But now at five months Lefty has settled into the same place as Righty. The very same place. Just as pain-free, just as ready, willing, and able. My OS told me Lefty would catch up. What he did not tell me was how astonishing it would feel to have two completely pain-free knees.

* Pain-free on getting out of bed.
* Pain-free on two mile daily walks
* Pain-free at the grocery store, hours of shopping, going to a concert, strolling through Longwood Gardens
* Pain-free while riding a bike

I did not expect this. It's been too many years for me to clearly remember having even one good knee. Having two just blows me away.

I've rejoined the health plex I belonged to years ago. This week I resume Aquacise classes. I'm going to continue being deliberate about exercise: If it hurts, I won't do it. If it makes my knees sore and swollen, I'll scale back to what doesn't make them sore.

I have several more months of recovery to go. I've consolidated my healing and am as functional as I've been in years. Patience, grasshopper. I will be swimming laps soon enough. Next month... visits to the grandchildren.
 
I feel tremendously grateful to my OS. He gave me back my life. And to Mr. Shoes, who supports me more than I could ever ask for. And to this Forum and the friends I've made here, for helping me through the toughest times. As I said yesterday at Family Saturday, "Let the good times begin." :happydance:
 
that is wonderful ~ there is hope for all of us, even us slow-benders.
 
Five Months: The Dentist

I visited the dentist today. It was good for my ego. For one thing, he exclaimed that I looked like a rock star. It was the jeans, jacket, and booties ensemble, I reckon. Or it could be just that I've had so much dental work we're on a first name basis. For the record, I followed my OS's orders and took four gigantic amoxicillin pills an hour before getting my teeth cleaned.

You know you're far down the knee replacement rabbit hole when your dentist asks you for an opinion. Dentists are on their feet a LOT, you see, and his knees are, well, starting to bother him. We discussed knee preservation strategies (sneakers, NSAIDs, ice... he hadn't tried ice yet). I handed over the names of my knee doctor, and also my surgeon (not the same guy) in case he was that far along, and answered the question of which he was most concerned:

"How was the pain [of TKR surgery]? I heard it's painful. I don't do well with pain."

Dentists.
 
I got my carpal/ulnar tunnel-surgery information from my dental hygienist and dentist. They'd both had those issues, too. I imagine that they will eventually start having knee problems. Both women are in their early 40s. Maybe I can be of assistance to them one day!
 
Tremendous report at five months! You are rocking recovery Susie!
 
I was on vacation for a while and have been out of the loop. My question is , "How has your FIL doing at his memory care unit?" I'm hoping he has gotten serenely into his, and your, new normal.
 
You were a rock star at the beginning and are still a rock star! People can see how good it can be!
 
@Arttie, you're so kind to ask. Things actually have gone far better than we feared. Somehow, once in the home, Dad became more animated and talkative. He's even walking better. We're not sure what caused this. I wonder now if he was depressed. Now he has more people around. He's happy enough, though his short-term memory is completely gone. He does word search puzzles and flirts with his speech therapist. It's really so much better for him and I think he's adjusting well. :)

I must admit I like having my freedom back!
 
Sounds like it was a good decision for all involved. Your FIL has more people around and you and Mr Shoes have a little more freedom, a win-win. You continue to be an inspiration to us all.
 
Thanks. I'm glad that your FIL is doing well there. It is good for his family to see a positive change. It validates the family's decision. :SUNsmile: I know that my mother, quite a loner in her 70s and 80s, was happily involved with the activities provided in her memory care unit.

I can relate to the freedom. After mother was well cared for, we were able to do my 2 week bucket trip on the Aranui from Papeete to the Marquesas.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom