Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

This is my new normal. These are my knees. They feel completely mine, a part of my body.

They are not completely healed. They're just mostly healed. We're in a good place, Lefty and Righty and me. Everything after this point is icing on the cake. :happydance::happydance::happydance:
How wonderful! So glad for you and so glad you are not leaving BoneSmart, Your encouraging story helps so much.
 
I hope that today brings you and Mr. Shoes and family comfort in knowing that you have done the best for your fil. I think that being willing to go through the pain of making the right decision for our loved ones when they don't know it's right shows a lot of strength. Hugs and prayers for all of you.
 
sending you hugs also. although it's difficult and sometimes heartbreaking, it is up to us to advocate for our loved ones and make the best decisions for their safety and well-being. that is so wonderful there will be someone to visit your f.i.l. every day. :flwrysmile:
 
I remember the day we took my Mom to the care facility like it was yesterday and it was a very hard day for the entire family. Hugs to you and your family. He may get angry and try and escape. My Mom was a lot like @Celle 's relative - very religious and non confrontational until faced with Alzheimer's and then she also broke out actions and words that we had no idea she knew! Unfortunately it is a stage of the dementia that you may need to prepare for. Things will settle and so will he!
 
@SusieShoes - I was gone and didn't see the post about your FIL - What a difficult decision. It's obvious your family chose wisely and were luckily enough to find him a spot in your first choice of facility. Hoping that this will be a good situation for all of you. He's fortunate to have a caring family that will visit often. Hugs and more hugs - janet
 
Thank you so much to everyone for so many kind thoughts, and also the reassurance we are doing the right thing. Sometimes the right thing feels wrong, but the heart isn't always a good judge of what's best. Dementia is so very difficult a disease. Today Dad thinks he's in the "hospital" to be "fixed." It's what his brain makes of his surroundings and situation.

I've been quite active the last couple of days. Up and down stairs, going place to place, carrying clothes and boxes, and running errands. That's not something I could have done pre-BTKR. Through it all, not a single complaint from my knees. They've been pain-free and able. I didn't even ice yesterday and they don't seem to have missed it.

I'll be around more again as things settle down. Thank you again for being such good friends! :friends:
 
Four Months: Are We There Yet?

Have you ever been in a car with kids, either yours or someone else's, and the child keeps asking when the trip will be over? Recovery from total knee replacement is a lot like that.

Child: "Are we there yet?"

Adult: "No. Grandma lives in Wisconsin." (We are currently in Indiana.)

"When will we get there?"

"Depends on how often we stop." (Child has so far required five rest stops for food and bodily functions, plus we had a flat along the way.)

An hour later. Child asks, "When will we get there?"

Adult, wondering when Indiana became the size of Texas, "When we get there. Go to sleep and maybe we'll be there when you wake up." (This is a polite way of saying shut up already, I want to get there even more than you do.)

Full recovery is Grandma's house. At the end of our journey lies everything comfy and familiar, not to mention the end of our time trapped in a car with Child. We are both the Adult (our rational brain) and the Child (the part of us that wants everything now). Or maybe the Child is our knee. Which one is in charge is often debatable.

No wonder we are so impatient with recovery. Early and middle recovery are the car and we are trapped inside it with ourselves.

Things are going well. Probably 80% of the time, I forget my knees are implants. I no longer need to be impatient with them. They don't hurt. They move more and more without any stiffness. Like this morning, I got out of bed and they weren't stiff at all. My lower back was a little stiff (I did some lifting yesterday) but not my knees. They're good to go, even Lefty. I can spend the day doing anything I choose. Yesterday I sat at my desk for three hours to edit a document, cleaned out a closet, did some weeding, ran out to a few stores, took two nice walks, and prepared a meal.

No swelling. No soreness. And even when one or the other, or both, of the knees get sore, they recover quickly. A little icing, a little rest... good to go again. :ice:

Today on my morning walk, I returned to the house a different way. That view of the street brought back memories of my first expeditions outdoors. I used my walker because I needed one, and I only walked to the end of my driveway. It's a short driveway. And I was so happy a few days later when I made it to the next driveway! I saw how short those distances are... driveway to driveway... fifty feet maybe, using a walker. That's where I was in June. :wave:

It's four and a half months since I got my knees replaced. Yesterday I rejoined the Healthplex and its Olympic-sized pool. Now that I no longer have to stay home so many days of the month, I'm going to try Aquacise classes again. I'm going to work back up to swimming laps. Before arthritis ate up my knees, I used to swim for miles. :swim:

I'm happy to report my Children are asleep in the back seat, and I can see Grandma's house.
 
Great analogy!

I remember being in the backseat asking 'when will we be there'! I also remember that after a time I would be able to settle in for the ride, and amuse myself looking out the window, or playing with something, or petting the dog if he was along. I really did learn to be okay in the 'not there yet' moments or even hours.

I can see that is what I want to do with my recovery...find more ways to be okay as it is now!

You've inspired me to look for effective and creative means to do this. One thing that is working, is simply sitting out on the deck in this beautiful autumn weather and watching squirrels, and butterflies, and falling leaves. I try to forget about anything but just being there and enjoying my surroundings.

It is so nice to hear about your knee journey, and all are doing and looking forward to doing! I am happy for you and those sleeping children!!!
 
SusieShoes, such an inspirational report and comparison! I so look forward to being at the point where you are. Lately I keep being in the ODIC.
KitKat, I will try to look for more ways to settle in for the ride-I will try and venture out to the deck and enjoy the season today, thank you.
 
I can definitely see why you are a writer!
My mil lived with us for 4 years. Then she started getting up in the middle of the night a lot, and we knew we could not continue. She cried that we were kicking her out. But she settled in at the home, and even found a "boyfriend", but broke up with him when he refused to hold her hand. We were able to find a home close to my work, and I walked up to see her every day during my lunch hour. Some days she knew me and somedays she didn't. The worst part was that hubby felt he was a terrible son for putting his mom in a home. I kept telling him that he was a wonderful son, but he still struggles with those feelings, and she has been gone for over 10 years now.
 
Susie, I'm the farthest thing from an exercise freak, but I do enjoy swimming laps. It is my most favorite way to exercise and I don't need to sweat. I still don't love walking, but I do it because it's good for me and my TKR. Just as you did with walking, build up lap swimming slowly.
 
I have very much enjoyed reading through your recovery thread Susie. You have been very inspirational and I can only hope that my own journey here can be as simple as yours. So far, so good for me, and I am on Day 23. It's good to know that "grandma's house" isn't too far away.
 
You are about 2 months ahead of me, Susieshoes. Ive been following along after you these several weeks, and you've always been an encouragement. I think you present the good and the bad realistically and you are enough of a writer to bring all of us along on your journey. Thanks. I keep thinking Susie got through this part, I will too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom