Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@SusieShoes, you've no idea how you continue to inspire! For instance, this morning I was torn between a walk or a spin on the exercycle. My immediate thought was "What would Susie do?" Well, you won! I went for a lovely walk in the woods, alone, (that's a first, I typically have Mistah with me) and just carried my cane; woot! I simply didn't kneed it, but felt it might come in handy to ward off zombies, aliens or any other miscreants I might encounter. :heehee:

Someone above, perhaps @KitKat, mentioned enjoying nature out on her back deck and just being present in the *now.* That approach worked very well for me during those first, really tough weeks. Even my worst days were improved just by sitting outdoors, and I felt it was a unique opportunity to just "slow down and observe," something we don't tend to do much in this rat-racy, modern world. For the most part, I've seen this entire strange recovery as a peculiar sabbatical from *normal* life, and I've found there are parts I actually like, lol.
 
I love that analogy, @Pheebs52. A sabbatical. A leave from our regular work in order to do other, often more personal, work. Work doesn't get much more personal than our bodies and giving them the best opportunity to do the important work of repairing themselves.

While the body is repairing itself -- something it does very efficiently when given the right conditions -- our minds crave activity. Activity for a mind can be as simple as reading a book, watching TV, or sitting out on a porch or deck to observe nature. I love sitting on my screen porch, which has a view of three other backyards and also of our street. People-watching is fun. I now wonder why the man in the red brick colonial house backs his car out of his drive every morning at 8:30 am and parks it in the driveway of the house next door to his. There's a story in that...
 
I now wonder why the man in the red brick colonial house backs his car out of his drive every morning at 8:30 am and parks it in the driveway of the house next door to his. There's a story in that...
There certainly is a story there. It could be the opening paragraph of a book. Do tell us, if you ever find out.
 
i love your stories SusieShoes ~ you make the average everyday encounters exciting and inspire us to experience for ourselves. i have a question for the swimmers amongst us: i was wondering if anyone was a little worried about slipping on the deck of a swimming pool or going down the stairs into a pool? do you ever feel the need for those snuggly fitting watershoes? i can hardly wait to hear about your aqua fit class. :swim:
 
@liam2015, when I was a swimmer (and hope to be again) I always wore water shoes or flippers. I didn't have knee pain then, but did have a bionic hip, and didn't have any trouble entering the pool. I was just as leery then as I am now about falling, and happily, I've never fell; phew! Most pool decks are a non-skid material, but the shoes do help. Water shoes are really important if you plan on doing water aerobics, because they cushion your feet a bit. I've done those classes in bare feet and they'd really ache afterwards.
 
Hooray!
I have just decided my extended time off is a sabbatical in which I am researching increased patience; the art of slowing down; and the benefits of ice.
Thank you for the terrific idea!
 
I'm waiting to read the neigbor's story too. My only question is will it be an erotic romance, a mystery or high fantasy?
 
I'm certain the brick home dude who moves his car each day to the next door driveway enters a time machine where he meets up with his lover from another century. Of course, I'm sleepy now, so perhaps that's why this sounds reasonable? Of course, that's it, all helped along by a lovely glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
 
Last edited:
A high fantasy would be a challenge, given a colonial two story on a leafy suburban street in the U.S..An urban fantasy, perhaps. Or a straight up erotic mystery romance. Rugged, newly retired hero with bionic knees spies his reclusive, and rumored to be dangerous, neighbor when she ventures outside with her walker....

My sabbatical continues apace. The task of fixing up my body took a twist, maybe literally, in that I did something to my shoulder. My trapezius muscle is in knots. I'm pretty sure I hurt it cleaning that closet, but whatever the cause, the pain is taking its sweet time going away. For the last two days I've been thankful I never used all of my last OxyContin prescription.

This injury has led to such incongruous statements as "I'm only taking short walks today because my shoulder hurts."
 
See, Susie, cleaning gets you in trouble! Closet doors are meant to stay closed--firmly! Glad you still had some meds that will help and hope your shoulder gets better soon.
 
It's some kind of universal joke on me. I'm the world's laziest housekeeper. What I am is acquisitive. When FIL moved to the nursing home, freeing up a room, I laid dibs on his closet. He kicked my winter clothes, handbags, and shoes out of it when he moved in two years ago. I wanted it back. Pure selfishness did me in.

The shoulder (really more like the back, but around the shoulder) is feeling better now that I'm slapping it around with heating packs and muscle relaxants. :arrow:
 
I hope that shoulder leaves you alone so you can get back to your walking and snoop on that neighbor. I love a good mystery! And I surely love your writings!
 
Good I

Hope your shoulder heals quickly!

I think I would be hasty to begin using an abandoned closet too!

You've got a fascinating mystery going on there. Hmmm

Wouldn't it be nice if we could deal with our stuff and our closets with no aches whatsoever??
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom