Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Yes, we all will get to that place we need and want to be. Just call me an optimist wearing rose-colored glasses, because I really believe this. I know my recovery has been faster and easier than many. Who knows why? But I think it could be that I have from the very first -- from before surgery and into even the earliest days after -- followed the BoneSmart mantras for gentle, non-aggressive healing. I think except for two hours a week of non-aggressive PT and time spent writing posts on here, I slept through my first month! :rotfl:
 
I have a question, how is the situation with your FIL? Were you all able to find a memory care living arrangement for him? It was helpful to our family when we found an excellent living facility for our mothers.
 
I have a question, how is the situation with your FIL? Were you all able to find a memory care living arrangement for him? It was helpful to our family when we found an excellent living facility for our mothers.

You're so sweet to ask, @Arttie. Yes, on Friday we got word that the facility at the top of our list has a bed for Dad. He's being moved in tomorrow. We're not sure how much he really understands about this change in his situation, because he said nothing at all when we told him he was being moved to a new place for his well-being. We are making the room as cozy for him as we can with his own things. We're hoping he will adjust well and be happy there. It's not far from any of us and he will have at least one member of the family visiting each day.
 
I hope the move goes well for your FIL, Susie.

When I had to put my mother in a nursing home, she thought it was just for a holiday. She settled in well and she loved being there, but she never did realise how time was passing, and that she was going to be there permanently. I visited her there at least once a week and she was always glad to see me, even though she sometimes didn't know who I was.
 
So happy that your FIL is moving into a care facility. He will be happy once he settles there and you will be happy once he is settled. Great update on lefty and righty. I am behind in the no pain department at 4 months but I am getting there!
 
Thanks again for the great report Susie - so very happy for you and your new knees! I hope all goes well with the move-in for your FIL tomorrow.
 
Having a very rough day and nothing to do with knees. The knees are great. Moving my FIL into a nursing facility is tough. The bed became available over the weekend, and we told him, but his dementia is so pronounced he didn't understand or remember any of that conversation. He thinks he's being abandoned. But he has to be in a skilled care facility now that he has forgotten how to walk and eat. So this is a very sad and emotional day. :cry:
 
Hi, Susie,
Reading your most recent update brought a bit of suspicious moisture to my eyes on your behalf. So thrilling to know that someone who's become "dear" has turned a corner and is thriving.

We've also been through what you are experiencing with your FIL. My MIL was very upset and felt abandoned. But she , like many children first being left at daycare, mostly adjusted to the new place and even enjoyed it. That's not to say that the anger didn't come back from time to time. It was helpful to us to know that the staff was caring, and that they would help her regain her equilibrium each time we left. I wish that for you and your family.
 
I feel for your family, Susie. It must have been very traumatic for them all. But, this has been a long time coming and they (and you) have done all you can for your FIL. The time has come - and you all realised that - when you have to hand over his care to the professionals.

Your FIL gets angry and that, unfortunately, is often part and parcel of progressing dementia. My sweet, very religious cousin suffered like that. She would rant and rage, throw things at people, and swear at God, using words the family had no idea she even knew.
 
Sending warm thoughts and ((hugs)) to you, Mr Shoes and family on this tough day. Hopefully your FIL's transition will become smoother with each passing day.
 
Sending you a (((hug))). I know this must have been a very difficult day for all involved. I hope each day gets better.
 
Yes, Susie, you've all done everything you can. Now his care his beyond your capabilities. He's blessed that he's so close and someone will be there everyday. It doesn't make it any easier though.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom