Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Four Months: Jogging From Zombies

I've always considered jogging a life skill. Yes, running is better for fleeing for one's life, but I figure if I can at least jog I stand a fair chance of escaping a wide array of dangerous events. Take a zombie apocalypse, for example: I need only outrun the zombies and perhaps a few of my slowest neighbors. This seems doable. So of course yesterday I felt it necessary to see if my new knees could jog.

They could, and did. :running:

Mr. Shoes proclaimed me insane. That's how he said it. "Are you crazy? You could have fallen!" :bignono:

Falling was a real risk at week 8, when I was still using a cane on my daily walks. But I haven't used a cane in weeks. It's currently gathering dust in a corner of the living room. Thanks to daily walks and more frequent trips up and down the stairs, now that doing so no longer hurts for the first time in years, my legs have gotten strong and reliable. So yes... I did that. I jogged.

Now, to be clear, I only jogged for about fifty feet. One driveway to the next driveway in our compact suburb. And let me admit up front that jogging felt... strange. Part of that is probably because I haven't jogged in so long my brain no longer recognizes the movement. It was going "What the :censored: are you doing?" But there was no pain at all. Not a twinge. Just the knees going, "Well, THIS is new!" They were neither happy nor unhappy about it, just confused. I stopped jogging mostly because it felt weird. Also, I'm not exactly light of foot, being still (despite my continued weight loss) clinically obese. My mechanical knees don't need the added pounding.

But I did jog. I'm happy about that. It's good to know that if I have to rush to make a flight, I can call upon my new knees to do so. I am not planning to become a jogger, or run half marathons, but I still like knowing my knees can move if called upon. Mr. Shoes doesn't understand how truly functional my knees are. He thinks they're delicate. If I fall, though, it won't be because my knees have failed me. More that I fail them by being careless, or reckless. Maybe that was what he was saying. :umm:

Sometimes we have to find out where things stand. Where we are in our recovery. I found out that my new knees can jog. And this morning Lefty and Righty are feeling just fine. We enjoyed a nice long walk and are elevating and icing as we always do. Onward. :thumb:
 
Last edited:
Wow! I am so impressed. I am most impressed that you tried. I find that the fear I have about my knees tends to stop me from trying new things that I haven't done in many, many years. Getting past that is a major accomplishment. Congratulations!
 
Jogging!!! That is remarkable. Like you, I am at the place where my knee doesn't hurt so am curious about trying different things and have been doing so. I have not yet considered jogging and like you, will not be doing any sorts of running events, except if necessary, but it is one of those mental hurdle things that probably ought to be overcome. Well done Lefty and Righty!!
 
It is a bit of a mental hurdle thing, @kmak81230. I was just walking along and it was a nice morning, and I thought, "I wonder if I can jog." It's not like I just broke out jogging, or encountered a zombie horde and fled for my life. I had to think about it for a few steps. Like figure out how to do it. At which point the old brain kicked in with a "I think I remember how to do that. Let's try... maybe something like this?"

I'm sure it looked strange, if there were any witnesses. But it resembled running. :scaredycat:
 
Susie, I don't think I'd ever have to nerve to try jogging! I've said before and I'll say it again, "You are amazing!"!
 
Paid a visit to my PCP today, just for a regular visit because, you know, she is the one who renews my prescriptions and tries her best to keep me healthy. She was so happy! I've lost weight, 12 pounds, since June. That's 30 pounds since surgery. My blood pressure is so good she's taking me off my blood pressure med (a diuretic). My blood sugars are lower (thank you, knees, because all my walking is what gave me the weight loss that did it), so she took me off my diabetes med. Just diet and exercise should be enough. I did get chided for not getting my mammogram. I promised to be good and schedule that. (Makes note to self.)

It's been a busy day for the knees. Walked 1.5 miles this morning. Drove to the hospital where PCP works and walked through it to her office (the parking structure is closer, but I like to park for free in a more distant lot - and so does everyone else, so it's kind of a game to get a spot). Walked back, then drove to the bank. Then to the pharmacy. Then dropped off a couple packages (returns) for shipping. And now home again and relaxing, really so very happy with my new knees.
 
You have improved your health exponentially this year Susie. You should be very proud of yourself. Now, schedule that mammogram.
 
OMG, @SusieShoes, you slay! And you never fail to inspire, lol. Jogging away from zombies, real or imagined, is definitely a skill set we all should have. I thought I spied some zombies in a parking lot just the other day. I didn't think to try jogging, but I definitely picked up my walking pace, lol.

As someone else stated here, sometimes just knowing we CAN do something is important, even if we'll never use it. I remember the surgeon who did my hip saying he didn't want me to jog or engage in an other high-impact activities on a regular basis. However, he also said, "Of course, you can run if your house is on fire!" I think he'd agree that zombies qualify as an equal threat.:heehee:
 
Congrats !!!!!! You are such an example for the rest of us......although I'll never jog ever the rest of my life. Walking is a challenge at times for me. You Rock !!!!:wow::yahoo::walking:
 
P.S.: I just adore Mr. Shoes for feeling that your new knees are delicate. Mistah is his twin.:heehee: This afternoon, he told me he thought it would be a good idea to avoid my bike for a few days.....too late, hahahaha!
 
Yay! That's wonderful news, Susie! You'll feel so good being off those meds! Again, walking seems to be the magic recipe.
 
<---Slapping head*

P.P.S. Good grief, how did I forget to congratulate you on all your amazing medical victories including the weight loss! WTG, GF! You really ARE on a roll!:yes!:
 
:froggies:This phrog is jumping with joy for you, Susie! Hooray!! Weight loss, no pain in the knees - and generally much better health.?! I am a long way from jogging, but you are an inspiration!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom