Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Sounds like you're doing really well!! And now you can have your eyes set on Friday and going home. Yep - meds - during my early weeks my sister and I would gather the tray with all the meds. We would place them into a mini fishing tackle box with times on papers taped to each compar. We would set our phone alarms (I remember at one point having like 8 alarms set) but we would be good to go for 24 hours! I loved the legs pumpers too but getting them on/off to pee in the middle of the night was a hassle as Karri mentioned. Of course, I am jealous as you now have 2 new knees and I only have 1 and I need the 2nd one. :bawl:
 
You are so right on both accounts. With you going home with your FIL there, you'd probably end up doing way too much! You are going to need to be waited on, not the opposite!
 
Congrats on going home! You are doing amazing! There is nothing better than your own home for recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds as if you're doing well! Staying till Friday may be better in the long run then, if you're coming home to just hubby and dog. Was there some symptom of a blood clot that caused them to do the rest?
 
@KarriB, if this is't standard operating procedure (they also take daily ultrasounds of my bladder in case I should need catheterization) I would say it's because my nurse last night discovered I had come from the surgical hospital with OS orders to wear sequential pressure compression stockings. And they never did it.

I first wore those stockings last night, 60 hours later. Oops.

But that might not be it, either. Rehab is a strange environment.

I never had any symptoms of a blood clot.
 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm surprised to be doing this well. Just goes to show you never can know in advance what your experience will be.

As for going home on Friday, I'm fine with that. More restful for me! :sleeep:
 
You have done so well, Susie!
Best wishes for you return home on Friday.
 
Daily ultrasounds of your bladder? If you're urinating why would they need to do that? They are very cautious. Three more days and you're home.
 
@jaschembra, I'm really happy I had both done. My OS gave off such positive vibes about BTKR and he said the recovery time is the same, with bilateral just more intense. So I signed on. And it IS nice to have my whole "knee " thing over with.:smile2:
 
@KarriB, it's beyond ridiculous. The constant blood sugar measurement -- they finally stopped those today when mine never got higher than 138 post-meals -- bladder ultrasounds, and "rule" about how keeping knees straight at all times prevents adhesions and MUA.

I don't keep my knees straight at all times. But I go along with the other tests because, quite frankly, it's not like I have anything else to pass the time.:bored:
 
if this is't standard operating procedure (they also take daily ultrasounds of my bladder in case I should need catheterization) I would say it's because my nurse last night discovered I had come from the surgical hospital with OS orders to wear sequential pressure compression stockings. And they never did it.

I first wore those stockings last night, 60 hours later. Oops.
It sounds like they are covering their backs. Over-cautious for sure, and your insurance company will be charged for all those procedures.
 
Susie, I'm so glad that you are doing so well! Thank you for your inspiring and positive posts! It's made me feel even more excited about my recovery and what I can look forward to after my surgery.
 
Day 6: Poseys and Potshots for the Therapists

Overall, I have done quite well! For the numbers-oriented, my most recent flexion is 94/94 and my extension in both legs is 2. I walk well with a walker and, much of the time, have little pain.

Compare that to my gnarly pre-surgical left knee. Only 88 flexion anyway -- and 10 extension. And it hurt no matter what. I knew from the moment I tested my new knees in the recovery room that I had upgraded. :cheers:

It's hard to describe that feeling. Happy and humbled, I guess.

There have been, and still will be, bumps in the road. Some issues are specific to me -- like getting my blood sugar measured every couple hours because of the diabetes for which I am borderline at worst -- but I can share BTKR triumphs and woes.

1. I love my new knees and have become protective of them. I talk to them sometimes. Don't judge me. These are amazing knees.:yes:

2. Not all PTs are created equal. The woman I had on Saturday and Sunday was awesome. Gentle. Caring about my goals (which are modest) and supportive of my wanting them. She gets a +5.

Which brings me to Monday and Therapist #2. This gal had her own agenda foremost in mind from the get-go. She wants to see 0 extension or better. And she told me I NEED to get to 100 flexion.

I was, at that point, four days past being flayed open in OR.

I'm really happy with my progress so far. So are the nurses and doctors on my medical team. I'm doing great. So what's all this NEEDINESS about ROM?

It's bogus. It's her ego vs. mine. So where I'm wanting to walk and do a few stretches, she's hauling out her straps and wedges and rolls. And I tried them. I really did -- up to the point of pain. And then I stopped.

3. Occupational therapy for the win.
I learned a lot from this woman, including a way of walking up stairs with a cane that hurt significantly less than the standard method. Here it is: lead with the "good" leg, but keep the cane on the step where the good leg started and push up from there. It hurt less, maybe because I'm BTKR.

4. I am mentally prepared to push back if today's therapist proposes forcing my knee in any way.

5. Going to therapy is where I make other people feel bad. Because I'm doing well, they see my progress and feel bad about theirs. That's so wrong! I shared therapy Saturday with a lovely BTKR lady who broke out in tears. "I want what she has!" She was speaking of flexion. She'd had her surgery the day before mine, but her quads were unresponsive and she was so swollen she could barely bend her knee at all. Even though we got along really well, the therapist hasn't put us together again.

I truly think I could do the PT side of my recovery at home, off the grid, by using instructions and videos. The most useful part of rehab has been the OT and the nursing staff making sure of my safety every time I leave the bed.

Friday, when I leave rehab for home, cannot come soon enough.

Today I'm looking forward to walking. More glorious walking. Oh. And my swelling went down a bit overnight! My legs are still swollen and look like a bison did a victory dance up and down them, but every step forward gets me closer to the goal. :dancy::wowspring:
 
Last edited:
Just be careful not to join the ODIC when you get home and suddenly have all that freedom to do whatever you want without those pesky nurses.

I'm so amazed at your recovery. I was like that lady with the dead quad. I feel her pain amd frustration. E-stim really helped get it moving finally, but it was at 3w.
 
Hold your own with the crazy PT. Are you getting any naps in?
 
@Jennszoo, I follow your recovery thread and actually had nightmares about being in your situation. Reading about you lit a fire under my butt to build up my quads ahead of surgery.

One of the first things I did post-op, when I had a little time to myself, was to see if my quads worked. They did, but not very well. And then one did but the other didn't. I never had more than a temporary issue, though.

And this BTKR survivor in rehab with me... she was trying so hard, doing her utter best, and she wanted proof of her progress. I wanted to say, "Don't compare!" But she was already doing it. I've felt so sad ever since. I really thought I was going to be the no quads girl.
 
@KarriB, naps? I don't got time to nap.

Seriously, though, I make time to nap! I never imagined this level of exhaustion.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom