Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Love reading your thread! I was very behind so won't comment on all the things that resonated with me, but there were lots of moments. I too have always been a side sleeper, and have finally been able to do so a few times for most of the night. What a great feeling!
 
Congrats on a whole night of side sleeping! I tried again last night, and no luck. It's just not comfortable anymore, and I find that it's been long enough that I'm getting used to falling asleep on my back. I used to fall asleep on my side, and then move to my back sometime during the night. I guess it's just more efficient to start the night how I end it.
 
@IowaNana, I know what you mean about getting used to being on your back. I got quite good at it, situating my spine just so, squaring my shoulders, etc.. It's just... I have to use the darn Lounge Doctor, because legs flat is weirdly uncomfortable for said spine. Also, when on my back I snore. Poor Mr. Shoes! So side-sleeping has been the Holy Grail of my recovery!
 
Funny you mentioned kneeling.....I can on one knee, lol!:heehee: It can create...er...*interesting* romantic interludes! FWIW, I have an ottoman next to my bed, hahaha!

Congrats on the long awaited side-sleeping; wow! I know how thrilled you are! Honestly? No, I can't even imagine doing that with two bionic knees. Heck, I can't even imagine 2, bionic knees, so WTG Susie! If anyone ever deserved side-sleeping, it's you!

@IowaNana, you're next!
 
@IowaNana, we have an adjustable bed also. It was a lifesaver for early recovery, especially in combo with Lounge Doctor. My toes were way above my nose! It does really help with getting the sleep position just right.

@Pheebs52, an ottoman by the bed... my wheels be turning....
 
Congrats on the side sleeping! That was something I did without even thinking about it after about a month, so didn't even realize that is difficult for some. I hate sleeping on my back, so will change to stomach when Spence (TKR) starts getting ornery! Lol! And as an aside, my pre-surgery class had instructions for the intimate stuff, with pictures, included in the packet they gave us!:rotfl:
 
That was very thoughtful of whoever organized the pre-op classes @Firewolf! No such thing at my classes, so we just had to stoke the imagination, lol!
 
I slept all night as well and either my legs (and the knee didn't wake me up) or my arms knocked off 2 pillows! One was my leg pillow so I'm assuming it was my legs. This would only mean something to us who have had TKR's - usually if my leg even lifts the blanket, my knee tells me.
 
@jaschembra, yes! It's to do with the legs, not just the knees... though the knee bone is attached to the leg bone and all that. I move when I sleep, and that's the problem. Last night I figured it out, the reason why Lefty gets cranky.

It's the angle. The angle between the knee and the ankle while lying on my side. If the leg is completely straight, as it is when walking, or elevating, or even flat on the bed (mostly), then my left knee is quiet. It's happy. But if I lie on my side, either right or left side, and the angle of the left knee to ankle is not 180 degrees (flat) then Lefty gets cranky. Last night I discovered that if I put a pillow in position under the lower left leg to keep things 180 degrees, I have an uncomplaining knee.

Of course, I move during sleep sometimes, so this is not a perfect solution. Also, Lefty is getting better about being "out of alignment", so I think eventually this will not be an issue. Whatever the thing is that gets out of joint (pun intended) is not an issue at all with Righty. It's a soft tissue thing, because Lefty had problems with getting cranky during side sleep even before surgery. Clearly we're still working that out. :sleeep:
 
Three Months: As the Mind Fog Turns

A back and forth with @Jajakio got me thinking about how I've focused a lot on physical recovery and not much at all on how this surgery did a number on my brain. Because it did. It really did. And though I think I've gotten all my brain cells back and properly reconnected... well, let's see how that goes.

In very early recovery, physical problems rule. TKR results in terrific pain at first, which most of us are blessed to have well-controlled. But it's really bad pain, and controlling it requires really strong drugs. These drugs pretty much fog the brain, and that's what we want. A foggy brain not feeling much pain is a reasonable trade-off in weeks 0-4. At a certain point, though, the pain has gotten less enough--or we've gotten fed up enough with living in a fog--that we want our brains back. We stop the painkillers. We move on with life. The brain fog clears a bit and we think we've cleared the hurdle.

I've probably mentioned somewhere along the line that I'm a writer. As such, I can work from home and don't have to commute. This is a good thing as far as going back to work goes. Because I do work. I have contracts to fulfill. Having had surgeries before, I knew I'd need some down time, so made sure I had no outstanding contracts for several months. Boy, am I glad I did that!

In week 0, I had conversations I can't remember. I fell asleep while talking to my mother. I thoughtlessly joked with the grandkids, oldest age 5, that I let some doctors cut off my legs. They believed me. I had to show them I still had legs. But I would never have said anything like that in my right mind. I mean, come on, what was I thinking?

I wasn't thinking very well. In fact, in weeks 1-4 my memory and judgment proved porous. I told Mr. Shoes to remind me, often, if there was something he needed me to do, like make out the bills. I've paid the bills for decades. But I was Mrs. Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Dad got his breakfast but missed getting his pills. Or he got his pills and I forgot to give him breakfast. In fact, Mr. Shoes didn't get his breakfast reliably until week 5. I didn't notice little things like if a bathroom needed that next roll of toilet paper or we were out of milk. I'd stopped narcotics in week 3, so it wasn't that. Maybe it was exhaustion. The energy drain knocked me for a loop.

One day around week 5-6 Mr. Shoes asked if I'd started writing again. I love writing and have been doing it since I was 7. There've been only three times in my life when I have stopped writing for longer than a few weeks: when I was 18 and my mother (having read a book entitled I Never Promised You a Rose Garden) feared for my sanity and also told me I would never find a husband if I kept writing (that proved false); when I went through the world's messiest divorce (legendary in the state in which it occurred); and, you got it, BTKR.

In week 6, I still was not able to write more than an occasional few lines of description or dialogue. I could edit. I could and did beta read other writers' work. What I could not do was plot. I could not shape characters or deep motivations. I could not do anything subtle or complex or... well, anything I really need to do to write a novel. I could analyze, but not create.

I grumbled a lot. My knees were doing great. I reported a lot on how that was going, because it was quite interesting (to me, anyway) and maybe would prove helpful to others. But what was happening to my creative powers and occupation was more difficult to express, and I talked about it only with a few close writer friends who would understand my frustration. And Mr. Shoes, of course, so he would understand why I was spending my laptop time browsing, shopping, writing about knees, and developing strong political opinions.

So... fast forward to 11 weeks. The brain clicked back on. One day a scene burst full-blown into my head with rounded characters doing pertinent and complex things, and speaking like real people--if real people speak about wizards and quasi-godlike entities--and it was GREAT! Hallelujah! I was back, baby. And I've been back ever since.

The brain fog is real, and it goes beyond using painkillers, and the pain of early recovery, and the preoccupation with PT, and figuring out ADLs again, and getting back to driving. I could drive safely well before I was able to get my wizards to behave.

The brain is affected in subtle ways by our recovery. It can take just as much time for our mental skills to get back up to full speed--I was functional early on and remembered all breakfasts, errands, and chores at week 6, but I was not doing complex work--as it does to get our knees to the point where we feel they're doing well. It took me 11 weeks to get back to what I call normal: writing the way I know I can write, on the kinds of things people pay me to write.

If you have a job to get back to, keep that in mind. You can physically get back to the job, sure. And that can be difficult enough. But be prepared in case your mind is not all there yet. It may be catching up. So be kind to yourself, because not having your full skill set could happen. It may not happen to you. Maybe I'm an exception. But if it does happen... know that this too shall pass.
 
I think that is tremendously helpful, Susie. Mark that down as things I wish I had known before surgery. For me it was 3 things, your comments on brain fog plus 2) you are going to be enormously tired for weeks, maybe months 3) it is not just about mobility. It is going to hurt to sit for extended periods.

The husband and I have our appraisal company that we have run for 20+ years. We have always been a team. We used to have part time ofi ice help4 bookkeeper but when she left I was already hurting with my knee and just took over more of the office stuff. We have our own jobs but have always pitched in for each other. My original presurgery idea was I would pretty much run the office for the first month back. I envisioned limited mobility but being able to sit as long as I wanted. Boy, was I wrong on that. Today I sat for 2 hours and got to aching badly enough to come up and ice and elevate. I'm still not done. I'm going to nap then work on writing my final report commentary when my brain is hopefully fresher. All the hard work is done. I just need to write 3 or 4 paragraphs to sum up. Come on brain, don't fail me now.
.
 
I agree that your post was extremely helpful! There is so much more involved than just having a surgery and doing rehab for it. And it is very difficult when people don't "get it" or if you don't have anyone to support you on a daily basis. Thanks for your insights!:flwrysmile:
 
Once again, great informative post Susie. I have commented a few times that I felt I started back to work to soon physically (part-time at about the 4 week mark) but clearly it was mentally as well. I called in to a couple of meetings prior to actually going to work but do not think I was able to contribute much, mostly listening and thinking "when can I get back to my nap." Same for when I actually was at work - even for a few hours. I work at a small university and get paid for brain power, attending to lots of details, projects, writing reports, and sometimes complex decision-making. This clearly was not happening well. Fortunately, the summer is more relaxed, mostly long-term project work, prior semester clean up, fewer meetings, and "minding the store" while others are on vacay, etc. Good thing as I was not productive at all -- too focused on how the knee was feeling, tired, unable to concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes, complex spreadsheets looked like a foreign language, etc. etc. My summer ToDo list remained virtually unchanged for quite awhile. I am happy to report that for the past few weeks I have been more engaged, productive, and interested in my work. It's a good thing as the madness starts next week! The other good thing I've noticed is that now that I am more interested, engaged, and competent at work, I find it to be a welcome distraction to this never-ending recovery. It is nice to have to focus on something else for a change.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kmak81230, your job sounds really demanding, not physically maybe but definitely mentally. We think so much about the walking because it's important and something we all have in common. A lot of our jobs rely on our being able to perform mentally, so that's important also. And you're so right about the importance of getting back our mental sharpness, because it IS a wonderful distraction. Our knees can only be the center of our universe for so long before we need to get back to the real natural order. Our jobs. Our families. Our lives.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom