Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Just to be able to take that first step and not feel the awful arthritis pain makes it all worthwhile! The surgery itself isn't bad. It takes only an hour or so. Then, with the right meds, the first month or so flies by in a blur. You'll be fine and really glad to have it done!
 
Congratulations on being released, SusieShoes. You're such an inspiration! Reading your journey thru BTKR helps ease my anxiety
 
@Pheebs52, I got the email and I have the credit card. I am counting the days!

@jboles, I think we all try to talk ourselves out of this surgery. It's a major undertaking and, well, there's nothing natural about volunteering to have our bodies cut open. Just the prospect is unsettling. It's the result, though... that's why we do it. I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I wanted to walk again, really walk, not hobble across a room. So I did it. And am I ever glad! I am nowhere close to fully healed yet. Doing well, yes, but still a long way to go. Yet I am 100% happy I had the surgery. I am walking soooo much better! I'm enjoying life more. Well worth those first weeks of pain and massive inconvenience.
 
@Chattalyn, I'm so happy you find my rambling posts helpful. Supporting each other is what this forum is all about, and I found so much inspiration here I'm glad to be able to give something back. :happydance:
 
Right girls, the French band I organised are just warming up, Susie you're in the front as you're bilateral, all the other girls form a line behind Susie, Pheebs tighten yer corset, yer exposing a bit too much décolletage!!! Sistersinhim pull up yer fishnets they're sliding down, ok after three start kicking those legs and waving your petticoats 123 CAN CAN Sacre bleu :yay::yay::yay: Happy 4th July
 
Our scars are our badges of courage! They show that we are tough ladies!
 
Week 8: In Charge of My Own Recovery

Now that my OS has released me to my own devices, I have done the following:

* dismissed my PT, with thanks
* resumed driving
* celebrated with a chocolate bar

I have devised the following plan for this new stage of my recovery:

* extend my walking gradually until I can again walk my neighborhood the way I used to BA (Before Arthritis)
* continue to elevate and ice after any lengthy exercise, including shopping trips, errands, and grocery store
* continue to work on ascending and descending stairs (carefully) foot over foot until doing so feels natural again
* set up the recumbent bike (when it arrives) in my office and ride it twice a day starting with five minutes and gradually building up to longer times
* resume my life of reading, writing, and leisurely activities
* at all times, listen to my knees

Yes, I am a slug. I'm low energy, which is typical of introverts. Put me in a high energy situation and I do my best, but all I really want is to find a corner to curl up in and recuperate. I spend my days inside my own head, creating stories, or reading stories, or watching them on TV. Maybe, if inspired, I will garden, or cook, or do some other solitary activity. Clean a closet if it really, really needs it. I appreciate order. But the house can have a few dust bunnies in residence. I dust shelves when I realize I can write my name on them. Exercise? Nothing that makes me sweat. Walking is my thing.

Which is to say, I am a natural for the BoneSmart way of TKR recovery.

I had a talk with my OS about this, the BS philosophy, which dovetails with mine. He said he knew I'd do well with bilateral replacements. He asked what I did, and I told him: Minimal PT (I totally controlled my therapist) only because OS ordered it, and... hardly any exercise at home except a few heel slides, stuff around the house, and daily walking. I like the walking. I did the three football fields OS asked for, but only when my knees weren't sore and it wasn't raining. He laughed and said, "That's perfect." To which I asked, "Then why did you order the PT?" His answer: "Because some people won't do anything, not even get out of bed, unless I order it."

Well, that makes sense. How can one recover if one doesn't get out of bed? Movement is what makes a knee. A knee that doesn't move isn't very useful. I had one of those. Lefty was, at the end, a terrible knee.

Today I walked completely around my block. About a mile. It's a long, winding kind of block. And it was wonderful! I got to see what the new neighbors who live behind me did with the front of the house. Nothing. But at least I've satisfied my curiosity. And when I got home, I pulled my little car out of the garage where it has lived for the past two months, and drove her around the neighborhood. The streets are really quiet at 7 in the morning. She ran perfectly and we worked out any flat spots on her tires. Getting in and out was not a problem, even though she's a 1999 Toyota and very low to the ground.

The morning car test was in prep for going out on errands today. YES! Today was the FIRST day since surgery I have ventured out alone (not counting walks on my block within sight of the house). I drove to the bank, where I talked a bit with one of the managers there, who I've known for years, about knee replacements. She couldn't believe I was doing so well. She's thinking of having the operation also. Bilateral? How was it? I told her I was happy I'd done it that way. So a nice talk. I gave her my OS's card. And then I drove to the Mail Stop store and mailed some gifts to the grandkids, because that's what grandma's do. And then to the pharmacy. And home. All these places are within a mile of my house. I live in a dense, utterly convenient suburb. I could walk to all of them... but not on my new knees.

By the way, Lefty is almost pain free now. Bending causes... a slight twinge. Sometimes, not all the time. I would say Lefty is where Righty was about a month ago. I've seen a lot of improvement this past week.

So it was a great morning. Laid back. Casual. Just enough human contact for me to feel like a member of the community. And now I'm back home and... you got it, elevating and icing. I do a lot of that. And will keep on doing it. I'm still recovering... just in a new phase.
 
I love reading your up dates, Susie! Keep listening to your knees and body!
 
Wow Susie your report is inspirational. What a relief to be doing activities that are normal again. There were days I wondered if I would ever feel that way again. I don't walk as much as you, but I am riding my bike a good distance now. I have a big basket on the rear of my bike and my granddaughter's Maltese dog rides in it while we bike together. :puppysmooze: I'm sitting in my recliner preparing to shower and then off to another day of work. Checking in with my Bonesmarties is the first thing I do when drinking my coffee. Have a good day!:goodpost: Susie. Thanks for the update.
 
If anyone is afraid of having a knee replacement or a bilateral, all they have to do is read your thread SusieShoes! You've had one of the best recoveries I have ever read! You go, girl! You and your OS did everything just right!
 
Aaah, Susie, that's what I call a perfectly *normal* morning! I'm so pleased for you and Mr. Shoes! My neighborhood is very much like yours in density and within a 1/2mile to a mile of everyhting, but I won't be walking to any of those places yet. Hopefully, that will become a reality in the fall, but until then, wheels, baby!:happydance: I'm delighted to hear it was no trouble at all for you to get in and out of the low-slung Toyota! Now tell me, did you blast some music for your maiden voyage? I did, lol. :dancy:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom