Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Great news Susie, just watch you dont overdo it, you can still overdo without realising it for a while yet. Must've been the can can yesterday that loosened up your joints:ok:
 
The implants are mostly the same. It's the skill of the surgeon that's most important.
 
Way to go Susie!!! I actually got a little teary reading your post - so uplifting - and as others have said you are a model for all the bilats on here (and even us singles). Your positive attitude, sprinkled with doses of humor when we most need it, as well as your honesty about the challenges, have been really helpful. I wanna be like you when I grow up - here's to you :cheers:.
 
Susie, I'm really curious just what made your surgeon consider you a good candidate for bilateral TKR? Obviously, it's too late for me, and that's ok, but I am always intrigued by this sort of thing. I imagine that good health in general plays a huge part and a positive, can-do attitude must also go a long way. In all honesty, it was completely beyond my imagination until we met here. Now, it seems like a very reasonable choice.
 
@sistersinhim, I give tons of credit to my OS. I knew soon after talking to him the first visit he was the one for me. I sought him out because of references and his superior record (low infections, low DVT, high satisfaction from patients), but it was his warmth and genuine listening to my concerns that sealed the deal. He said he would order PT and hoped I would give it a try, but to call him if it was a problem. It never was, at least not on my end. My OS performed the surgery, and I pretty much followed the BS way of recovery.
 
@Pheebs52, that was an interesting conversation. I'm a writer, and a medical writer also (long story), so I could tell at our initial conversation that he was evaluating me--just as I was evaluating him. On Monday, he said he could tell I would do well with BTKR. And I pounced on that and asked, "How could you tell?" Because, like you, I'm inherently curious about such things.

He said it was because I was tough. Now, if you met me, you would not think that. I'm 60s, overweight (okay, officially obese), avoid exercise, and have a pretty soft life. I work from home. I'm a snowflake. A writer. My health is only good: I have diabetes, high blood pressure, and gastric reflux. I am, however, strong (very active youth and middle age, so heavy bones and lingering good muscle tone), curious (I told him I'd researched him, TKR, and recovery options), determined (he asked why I wasn't using a cane or in a wheelchair already with the degree of bone on bone in both knees), and was willing to work through pain (ditto). I'd remained active even with horrible knees. So he figured I was tough enough and determined enough to tough out a BTKR recovery.

He did say it's not for everyone. I didn't ask how he determined who he would dissuade from BTKR.

I went to him hoping for a BTKR. That entered into it also. I was mentally "there."
 
So many of us wish we had done the bi, myself including. I wasn't a candidate, though.
 
Susie, I am so very happy for you. No more pt, running errands like a "normal" person, in and out of the car with no problem. You continue to be an inspiration. I know that when I want to whine after my next surgery, I will think of you and hopefully be able to pull up my big girl panties and move past the problems of recovery. Thanks again for your wonderful posts.
 
@SusieShoes so happy for you! You are such an inspiration! Thank you for taking us on your journey and mostly for just letting it be- your journey! You have raised my confidence while at the same time encouraging me that things will happen when they are ready to happen if we just listen to what these new knees are telling us! Glad you had such a great day!:cheers:
 
Thanks for satisfying my medical curiosity Susie.:SUNsmile: *Tough* comes in many different colors and flavors. Clearly, he was correct in evaluating you as the right sort of tough; ivory on the outside and diamond on the inside. You really rocked this recovery Susie and have given so much hope and positivity (hmm, is that a word? Looks odd) to the rest of us, laggards and all. :wink:
 
I so wish my OS would have done a BTKR but he just wouldn't! No reason given other than he simply doesn't do BTKR. my It would have ramped up my recovery time, that's for sure. You are a trooper!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I inquired about a BTKR and was told by 3 different OS that I am not a candidate due to the degree of knock knees that I have in both legs. My legs are 21 degrees off they say. They said with the amount of ligament and tendon work if they did both it would put too much stress on the tendons. So I guess I'll be a one at the time person.
 
@jboles, that sounds like a good reason not to get a bilateral. My left knee is lagging because of shortened tendons due to years of being bent. My right knee had not gotten that bad. Two severely bowed legs might present a mechanical problem better handled by not going the BTKR route. Ultimately we have to trust the experts when it comes to this kind of thing!
 
Along with the patient's overall well being, I've read from Jo that bilaterals are hard on the surgeons. It's a long, difficult surgery, so there's a lot they need to take into consideration.
 
My bilateral surgery took approx. one hour.

My OS recommended it because both knees were so bad that I didn't have a "good one" and I was somewhat impatient (shocker!) during my appointment and he thought I would do better with a single recovery. Since my insurance only covered nursing homes (and not orthopedic rehab) he made me agree to go home ( and have family help) when I was discharged from the hospital in order for him to do the BTKR.
 
I love reading your recovery thread. I always have a smile at the end. You positivity and determination to do it your way made your journey easier. We are all so happy for you! :happydance:
 
@Want2hike, and mine took only on hour and a half. I'd told Mr. Shoes to expect 3 or more hours, so he was alarmed when Dr. showed up so soon. Thought he would hear bad news. But no, the surgery was finished and I was in recovery. There was a whole team of people in the OR, so I suspect the OS delegates parts of the surgery to others. Mine assured me he and only he would do my implants, but how am I to know, right? That's the downside of being out like a light.

And how much support a patient has certainly enters into the decision. I had excellent support from family, he made certain I went to rehab (because of my elderly FIL living with us and needing care), and my living situation made it so I wouldn't have to use stairs at first should that prove difficult. Even so, lots of people have BTKR who live alone, in isolated areas, have stairs to deal with, and other difficulties.

Your impatience, and my "BTKR is what I would prefer," certainly tilted the decision, I think.
 
@Kare2dare, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm a firm believer that our bodies are wise and we should listen to them. Not obsess over every niggle and twinge, but listen to what they are saying. That's one reason the BS way of recovery appealed to me before surgery. A healing knee is going to communicate what is working for it, and what isn't. Mine have been doing that since before surgery. Even then, ice helped poor arthritis-mangled Lefty (my OS told me there was significant soft tissue damage due to bone spurs and arthritis when he went in, and that is what's causing Lefty to lag now). Pain is a cry for help.

So listening to your knee(s) may seem like it's slowing down the rush to heal, but it really isn't. It's pacing it properly. Our tissues heal at their own rate, no faster. Healing can be slowed down, though, by pushing an injured joint too much. I think the best things we can do to speed healing are to relax, eat healthy foods, drink plenty of water, and elevate and ice. And more rest. Trust the knee to do what it needs, and wants, to do.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom