Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Doing *too well* sounds fab to me! Still, I understand what you're saying and I also wonder about the *should* factor. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.....

Glad to hear you stuck to your guns, will be ditching PT soon and have chosen to invest in a bike; whoohoo!
 
I am glad that you ditched the foam pad! A stationary bike sounds like a good investment. I think I will be getting a lot more use out of our recumbent than I did before.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@SusieShoes,
Well, I guess we both come from plucky female ancestors that have great stories! My grandmother (yes, grandmother) on a cattleboat coming from Galicia-Austro Hungarian Empire- about 1906. They worked in the cigar factories of Allentown, PA where she met my grandfather, married and moved more west.
Idea: What about the social room for sharing some fun anonymous stories about plucky ancestors- it makes us who we are, and helps us relate to trials and tribulations - and folks to admire as we trudge our way through out own struggles today. By comparison to all of our ancestors, we have it pretty easy medically! Can the social room be used for such a thread?
 
It's a good idea to use the Social Room for a thread like that. Would you like to start it?
 
There's a book "Yoga For Arthritis" by Loren Fishman, MD. She specifies which poses knee or hip replacement people SHOULDNT do.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Celle,
No, I think it would be better is someone else gave it a go. i won't be around much from now on.
 
Week 5: Grocery Store Adventure

I'm sitting at the grocery store right now. They very thoughtfully have a bench right past check out. Mr. Shoes is finishing the shopping. I limited myself to produce, feminine products, and picking up my favorite yogurt bars. Mr. Shoes required help with chicken thighs. Boneless. Skinless. Too many choices!

I'm majorly bummed because they don't have cherries! My favorite fruit. Hope they have some next week.

Yesterday was a full day with lots of walking. My OS wants me--at this point in recovery--to walk 3000 ft. a day. Three football fields. I thought he had to be kidding. But... I did that yesterday between going out to breakfast and doing errands and taking two nice long walks up and down the block. Minimal swelling or pain, and this morning both knees were up for more. I'm sitting very comfortably in the store after my bit of shopping.

Mr. Shoes, however, says shopping with the new me "hampers" him. For one thing, I take the cart. I've since handed it back to him and now await his power-shopping self with a smile.
 
My least favorite part of grocery shopping post op was waiting in line. Standing was worse than walking, so it looks like you picked a good point to find a seat. :thumb:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on grocery shopping! Luckily my hubby did all the grocery shopping pre-surgery. He likes to meander his way though the store and I like to get in and out.

It's a good thing they had a bench so you could rest while he finished up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@SusieShoes, in fairness to Mr. Shoes, all those chicken permutations can be really confusing, lol! I am :rofsign: by him telling you he is hampered by your new shopping style; great stuff!

Your walking ability is incredibly impressive, but even more impressive is your lack of swelling and pain; kudos!
 
@KarriB Standing is worse than walking which always amazes me.

Yea!! for the grocery store trip. Bummer on the cherries! Yes, I love love love them and eat them every week while they're in season. They are $5 a pound at our stores right now but I just don't care!! And yes, a stationary bike would be a great investment. I bought a nice recumbent bike many many years ago and kept it all this time because I knew I would need it with my knees. Last summer my mother used it for months after her 2nd TKR and now I use mine daily ad see myself using it even more as I get more active.
 
@SusieShoes I had a stand up exercise bike for years, but my knees hurt too much to use it. After my TKR I was able to use the bike, but the teeny tiny seat bothered me no matter what type of seat cover I bought. So my bff surprised me with a recumbent bike for my birthday a year after my TKR. Since then I have put 2,000 miles on the bike! Just 1,000 since last November! It's in my basement family room in front of the tv. So easy to use in the dead of winter and in this terrible heat/humidity when I can't bring myself to walk. Six months after TKR I was doing 4 miles and just since Christmas I've upped it to 8 miles (8 or more is the number to burn calories) a day. It was an inexpensive bike from Walmart, but the recumbent seat/back is much better for my back also.
 
A recumbent bike sounds like the way to go. I have an upstairs office I can put it in once I move things around (I.e. Get rid of clutter). Our only TV is in the living room, but I can stream shows on my computer if desired. The main thing will be keeping the knees in good working shape, though burning calories is always a plus!
 
Susie, your PT experience sounds like mine. I'm havng a great recovery, im able to do a lot of stuff so they pushed me. I knew not to let them push my Flexion and things like that. But when they upped it to the balance board and the weight machines, I was caught off guard. And paid the price and lost my trust in my PT. Yes, I was able to do it bc I'm naturally flexible, my legs are strong (except the pesky quad) but should I have been doing them on a baby knee with still-healing tendons and ligaments and other soft tissues? No.
 
I watch out the window, or play on my iPad/phone while riding the bike. It's facing the horse barn so it depends on if someone is standing at the gate or not lol.
 
Out a window would be nice, but not possible for me unless I put the bike in the middle of my living room. :heehee:
 
Ohmy!
Am 3 weeks behind you and only one knee, and from this vantage cannot see myself walking that much ( 3,000 yards) in 3 weeks' time.
On the other hand, ( a better phrase here would be 'on the other foot') for a year now pre op I've had to limit my walks to say, 1.5 to 2 km to every other day because the osteoarthritis pain was just awful.
Perhaps, just perhaps, in 3 weeks I will be writing that I walked 3 km in one day.
Hat's off to you!
WHOOPS! Editing. Just now scrolled to see he said 3000 feet. Ok that's a bit less than 1 km.
...and for me the equivalent of goi g to our local grocery store and within and back home.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. Yes, 3000 feet. I don't think I could do 3,000 yards, at least not unless I'm prepared to be laid up on ice all the next day.

My OS is big on walking and ADLs. He encourages his patients to wear a FItbit or other way to monitor steps. All walking counts toward the total: to the bathroom, to get a snack, to get the mail. So my trip to the grocery store, and those walks up and down the block (I'm lucky to live on a relatively flat street, though the sidewalks are rough in spots, so I sometimes walk in the street when all is quiet) all add up. Yesterday I walked around my SIL's subdivision, which is hillier, and did very well. The point being that walking is my favorite exercise and it's kind of fun to realize how much more of it I am doing these days!
 
I agree Susie! Walking without arthritis feels so good! I can't wait to walk again! How are your knees doing after the hilly walk?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom