Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@Pheebs52, marching over cones isn't as awesome as it sounds. They're short cones. And soft. Mostly it's a balance exercise.

PT leaves me sore, which is why I am tempted to drop it. Yes, it challenges me and yes, I learn new tricks, but in other ways it may be holding me back. The main reason to do it is my OS ordered it and he's done such a great job so far, and his patients all do so well, I want to do this his way as much as I can. I refuse about 30% of what the PT wants me to do as it is. Today I refused leg presses (again) and weights on my ankles. No, and no.

I'm happy with my progress so far. What I want now is less stiffness and less pain in Lefty. That's coming along bit by bit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My PT had miniature hurdles to step over. You're right it was a balance thing more than anything, but I also was in the habit of shuffling instead of bending/lifting my knee. So it was good practice.

Keep on denying the weights. You really don't need them with that ROM.
 
Ah, I was picturing orange traffic cones! Good to know that isn't in my future; hah!

As @KarriB just said, with your ROM, you could easily stop PT now. You'd just have to contend with your OS, although I can't see why he'd have any issues at all given how well you are doing? I do understand you wanting to maintain a good relationship with him because I feel the same way about mine.
 
What a great report! You are a rock star! Or is that a Knee star?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are doing amazing and you have a fantastic attitude as well! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PT pushed me a little too much yesterday for ROM. Hence I am taking a week off. :) I can't wait to dance, hike, and possible ski again in the future too!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 5: Forward Motion

The first stage of recovery from a total knee replacement is getting past the initial swelling and pain. That first couple of weeks was rough, a battle royal between the body's trauma and the mind's negotiations. The body does whatever it needs to for it to heal, and the mind struggles to find some sense of equilibrium, ways to hold onto bits of itself or find a way through the mess the body is in, hoping to reach some elusive, mystical "other side" where the decision to have subjected itself to this procedure makes sense.

Fortunately, I excel at this. I can find the silver lining to any situation. Perhaps you've noticed this, and how my journey documents my tendency to embrace every sign of hope. And there have been many. My body has done a pretty stellar job of recovering from the grand assault of surgery. My progress toward "normal" has been remarkably linear.

So today, my five week knee-versary, here's where things stand:

My right knee feels 90% like a normal, natural knee. Full extension from the start. There's some tightness along the incision that reminds me it is not. It's a bit stiff in the morning or after prolonged sitting or exercise but loosens up with a few steps of walking. It gives me no problems and is a strong, ready member of the team.

My left knee is at about 50%. Tightness along the incision is no worse than on the right. Lefty has soft tissue post-surgical pain on the medial side. This pain occurs whenever Lefty bends. This means walking, or sitting, or when I change positions at night. Extension is at 1, so almost there.

Flexion is the same for both knees at 120.

My left knee pain has been IMPROVING a little each week. Some days Lefty hints at becoming pain-free. Tylenol does a good job of keeping the pain manageable.

I walk without a cane in the house. My gait is good according to PT. For the first time in years I have a "stride." I use a cane for walking outside or on errands.

I elevate and ice several times a day still. On days when I cannot ice, I notice the difference. The icing keeps my knees calm.

I prepare and cook simple meals, visit neighbors for coffee and snacks, take care of the dog, tidy and clean in small doses throughout the day, and wash dishes. I'm not yet up to big projects, gardening (aside from deadheading flowers), or long trips to the grocery store. I am hoping to try a grocery run this coming weekend. Mr. Shoes refuses to buy fresh produce because he's not sure how to pick an onion or a bag of cherries. I'm out of onions and love cherries.

The first stage of recovery is behind me. I consider this to be stage two: consolidation. My early little successes are pulling together into these new, functional, and increasingly able knees. I'm starting to do things automatically as if these knees are the original ones. Like yesterday when I was going down the stairs, and I just went foot over foot down a step. I froze. I was out of sequence! What should I do with my cane? It was a minor lapse, and I laughed at myself, and then I went foot over foot down the next step too, because that was the bottom. But it's like, "Well, I can do that!" And Lefty didn't complain at all. Lefty was like, "I got this!"

And that's what's going on. I'm forgetting my knees "can't" do things. You see, my old, original knees couldn't do things, but my brain never forgot how to do them. And these new knees can actually do these things! They can go up and down stairs. I just have to relearn the balance involved. And as this stage of my recovery moves forward, I just know I'm going to be doing more and more. That's what I'm looking forward to!
 
You are truly an inspiration SusieShoes! Thanks for sharing your recovery with your gift of writing and story telling. I have also experienced a good recovery. Patience with the slow process has been my weakness. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about.
I use the shopping cart at the store as a walker of sorts. It's nice to know I can grab onto it for support. One of my granddaughters usually comes with me to haul the groceries into the car and house. But, I have shopped alone too.
I can't say I'm looking forward to work next Monday, but I think it will work out well. I have a private office and can regulate my hours and time. So, I will schedule in regular icing and elevation. My first week back with be 5 hours a day instead of 10. I'm blessed.
 
SusieShoes, you just elicited the biggest smile from![emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am outside, icing on my deck with the phone and don't phone-type very well, lol. More later when indoors!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AlaskaGrandy, hooray on the good recovery and getting back to work. If nothing else it will take your mind off the knees and maybe help reward that patience.

I think when our recoveries are coming along well, it's easy to focus on what we're not getting: not getting where we want to be as fast as we want to be there. Things are good, right? So why aren't they better? I stop often to remind myself I'm really in a very fine bubble.
 
@Pheebs52, and I'm icing out on my screen porch, enjoying the summer warmth and trying to stretch my hammies on an ottoman. I am resisting gorging on a half-gallon of ice cream.
 
[QUOTE="SusieShoes, post: 1028275, The one useful thing I still get from PT is being challenged on what I can do... and finding out I can. Like steps. Or today, when I got up out of a chair using NO HANDS. My legs are mighty! My knees command my mass! .[/QUOTE]
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@SusieShoes, uh-oh on the 1/2 gallon of ice cream! *Warning: Danger!* Ice cream is my nemesis and Ijust cannot have it in the house, lol. If I really, really feel the need , I must venture out to the local ice-cream shop and settle for frozen yogurt. Needless to say, I haven't done that yet, but I feel the day is just around the corner....as is the shop!
 
Did Lefty have more damage than Righty and therefore needed more work? I'm so curious as to why she's lagging a bit and that's the only explanation that makes sense to me. Naturally, your recovery must make sense to me; hah! Perhaps that's because mine just seems to be rather senseless.
 
I allow myself 1 of McDonalds' plain ice cream sundae. It's in a cup, so I don't have to eat a cone! @SusieShoes, you show people how good this surgery can turn out! What a huge inspiration to all of us!
 
@Pheebs52, yes, Lefty was way worse off than her sister going into surgery. Lefty needed more work to make right, also. The left knee had bone spurs that were shredding ligaments (now gone) and tendons and... stuff. The OS said he "cleaned things up." So to be fair to poor Lefty, she started out with more healing ahead of her than Righty, who was not as far gone. I malign Lefty only out of impatience, but I cut her lots of slack also. I'm the one who put off surgery for that extra year. That year, and Lefty's current struggle, is on me.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom