Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

@SusieShoes the most violently ill I have ever been in my life was from iron pills! long story but one my friends will never let me forget, involved scrambling out of a pedicure chair at a very pricey spa and not quite making it to the ladies in time! :eeeuw:
 
Note to self: never take iron pills. Ever. Eat more spinach.
 
@keefsmom, you're my fellow traveler on the iron pills road. I couldn't eat for almost two weeks. Plus side: weight loss. Down side: I didn't want to get out of my recliner and developed what might be a permanent aversion to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. You take the Iron Pill Tales Prize, though, with your spa visit. It does sound like a scene out of Bridesmaids!
 
Are these prescription iron pills you're talking about or OTC? I have taken OTC without problems except for dark BMs, which scared me! tmi!!
 
@sistersinhim, these were OTC iron pills. I had trouble with iron pills 40 years ago with pregnancies (refused to take them after the first kid and all three boys turned out fine), so knew they might be an issue. The rehab doctor made a big deal out of my anemia, though, and put the fear of God in me if I didn't take them. After a week at home, I visited my regular doctor, and she said just stop them and see what happened if I ate iron-rich foods. Wellah! Within three days I started having an appetite again. And the anemia is MUCH improved.

Most people handle iron pills just fine. I'm not one of them. Just want to point out in my journey that it's not always the narcotics that are messing with the gut. Sometimes it's these extra pills they have us take.
 
Wow, you're the first I've heard that had that reaction with OTC iron pills. I'm glad you figured it out that it was those that were causing you the problem.
 
The iron pills made a mess of my stomach. Once I went odd them (OTC) I felt much better.
 
More Week 4: Oh Heck, Where's My Cane?

I actually said a different word than heck. Somewhere between my recliner and the bathroom, with the kitchen in between, I left my cane behind and just started wandering around without it. I've been walking lots without it anyway. Still, I kind of look for it. Lo and behold, It was at my recliner, waiting for me. In the meantime I fetched breakfast and a heating pad (I'm conducting a small experiment with Lefty) and toddled back to my nest.

A good weekend overall. I can now sit for longer periods at the table, a couple of hours, making me useful again for board games and not just card games. I'm the wizard, and breach mage, so they kind of need me. I'm also able to cook a full, simple meal again, which takes some pressure off Mr. Shoes, who also--in addition to caring for me in my recovery--cares for his elderly father. If I have a double whammy with bilateral knee replacements, he has the caregiver double whammy. Not fun.

So at the tail end of week 4, here's what's new: I am walking most of the time without the cane inside the house. Outside, I still use the cane, but I find myself carrying it more and more, and relying on it less. It's a safety thing for uneven pavements, or should I tire. In the house, though, I'm on my own two legs. I find this liberating and satisfying. Also new... heat. Whatever muscle or thing is plaguing Lefty responds really well to a little gentle heat. It relaxes, or something. It hurts less. Lefty moves more freely. Both my knees almost feel the same. I still ice after prolonged sitting, exercise, PT, and walks. Also new... my appetite. I had a milkshake this weekend, snacks, full meals. I have decided it's time to return to my diabetes-control diet, with an added protein drink daily. That diet kept both my blood sugars and weight under control. I want to keep my weight down and maybe lose more, which will be possible as I ramp up my walking.

I am right now walking further and much more often than I have done in two years. Before surgery I could barely reach the end of my block (my house is in the middle of the block) and walking back was torture. Now I do that walk three times a day. Sometimes I walk to one end of the block, come back, then walk to the other. And back. And it doesn't hurt much at all. A little tight. A bit stiff. But none of that horrid old arthritic pain.

Mr. Shoes asked me the other night if, if things got no better than they are right now, would I call the surgery a success. I dithered. I said if it was just the knees, yes. But I'm not sleeping great yet, and I can't sleep all night on my side yet, meaning I wake up too often. And Lefty still hurts, but... overall, I do call my surgery a success. It's just not quite at the point where I'm tossing confetti and proclaiming miracles. But it's definitely an improvement over the old knees... and things are getting better day by day.
 
What a wonderful post and positive report @SusieShoes! For me, the best part is where you state you are now walking more than you'd done in two years. That's what we all want and you're doing it at just 4-5 weeks! I understand what you are saying about lack of sleep, side sleeping and that slowpoke, Lefty. Yet, I'm going to throw some confetti your way....watch out!:roseshwr:
 
Dancing in confetti!

I got back from PT earlier. At this point, I admit, I'm mostly going through the visits just to get them over with. The slides and stretches I can do at home. The incremental improvement in Lefty's extension (currently 1) would come whether or not the PT pushes the knee. I do the ottoman thing a few times a day. My flexion today was 120. Any further improvement there will also come with time, not extra exercises. I'm marching over cones. The one useful thing I still get from PT is being challenged on what I can do... and finding out I can. Like steps. Or today, when I got up out of a chair using NO HANDS. My legs are mighty! My knees command my mass! Finding out what I can do is still a good thing.

Home again and in my happy place: comfy in my recliner and icing. Mr. Shoes (who works from home on my PT days) and his sister have FIL off to a VA visit, so I'm just chilling and doing some reading.
 
That's a brilliant report for only a month after surgery! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

From now on, just let normal activity be your PT - as you say, everything will continue to improve with time.
And watch that you don't try to do too much. It's still very early days.
 
Wow, you are doing awesome for a month out from both knees! Congratulations!
 
Just kidding....sort of, lol. You are a bilateral rockstar! Enjoy the chair, the ice and the book, along with the quite house. :yahoo:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom