Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

My extension is pretty good. Righty is at 0 but Lefty has shortened hamstrings from a year of neglect. Nothing a program of gentle stretching can't fix, but it took time to shorten the hammies, and it will take time to stretch them back into shape.
Very sensible! Yes, it does take time and gentle treatment to lengthen those shortened tissues again. That's why extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion.
 
If you have room in your home, I recommend a recumbent bike. It's much better on my back and probably will be on yours. I have mine set up in the den in from the the TV. It's easier that way!
 
@Celle, I can see that. Those big tendons are tough customers. I'm coaxing mine along. They're not so bad, and I walk fine, but PT and OS both want that optimal extension. I'll get there when I get there.
 
That's right! Since ROM can continue to increase for a year at least, you have plenty of time.
 
Great news on the blood work, SusieShoes! You must be very relieved to not need that special treatment; phew! I am not anemic, but....I sure am missing energy. I sometimes visualize it as molten lava pouring out of my core, especially this time of day. If only we could find an energy bank and plug-in, eh?

Any type of cardio exercise will ultimately build your stamina and energy. If done on a regular basis, it normally takes about 3 weeks to a month to feel this result. But, under these conditions, who knows? However, long-term, it will work! Your Mom doing heel squats gives us all something to aspire to, lol!
 
Any type of cardio exercise will ultimately build your stamina and energy. If done on a regular basis, it normally takes about 3 weeks to a month to feel this result. But, under these conditions, who knows? However, long-term, it will work! Your Mom doing heel squats gives us all something to aspire to, lol!
It's still too early for trying to rebuild stamina. remember that the energy drain is still in full effect, particularly so after a bilateral. Ultimately, though, the cardio exercise will be of benefit.

Although it sounds wonderful to be able to do full squats, doing them too often can sometimes contribute to wearing out the plastic spacer prematurely.
 
Great news on your blood work! It's amazing how much being anemic can affect you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Celle, good point on the bi-lateral energy drain for Susie; double whammy! I am not looking to increase my stamina at this point in time because I know it won't happen yet. That's ok, time is on my side and I'm fine with resting and doing the bare minimum until this beat-up, vintage body is ready. That said, I do think being able to enjoy an exercise such as cycling can give a psychological boost which is always a plus. The loosening effect is also something to look forward to.
 
@Celle and @Pheebs52, fear not. I'm not the least bit tempted to pursue a training program. Just in search of some easy at home exercise that might provide gentle benefits. I'm looking down the long road here. And squats? No way. I don't think Mom ever did squats. She swears her only exercise was walking and her bike. How she sits on her feet on her sofa is a cosmic mystery. She's 80 years old and shouldn't be able to do things like that. LOL God bless her.
 
Susie, I bought a recumbent bike from Amazon after riding the one at PT. I was so excited about being able to ride after decades of not riding that it quickly became my favourite exercise. I ride 15 - 18 minutes most days. It really feels good. I am still at the lowest resistance (a 1 as my bike doesn't have a 0) so there is not too much strain on my knees. I hope you like it.
 
I also got a recumbent bike after my TKR. I had a tall exercise bike, but it killed my backside. Walmart had an inexpensive recumbent bike that was given to me as a birthday present. I got it about a year after my TKR and I've ridden 1,988 miles. 988 miles just since November 2016. At first I started out with 10-15 minutes, but now I do at least 8 miles in 45 minutes. Because of my left knee I'm still at 0 resistance, so I cycle fast to get a good cardio workout. One of these days I'll get to 10 miles regularly. The bike sits in a corner of my family room so I can watch TV while cycling.

@SusieShoes I thought I could build my stamina by using an arm pedaler. Massive fail, I was more tired than ever. I will say this, 7 months after my TKR I took my first graders on their field trip. I went up/down bus steps 6-7 times, three different locations. Usually I come home and lay on the sofa, but that night I rode my bike 4 miles. I remember this because it came up on my FB memories. A few days after that I began swimming laps again, but that took the wind out of my sails too. It took 3 weeks to build up to my usual 15-20 laps.
 
Ah, I misunderstood you @SusieShoes, on both counts. I thought your Mom was doing squats and I got the impression you were hoping to increase stamina through something like cycling. My bad! Still, your Mom sits on her heels? Egads!
 
@SusieShoes I'mglad your blood count is rising. Being anemic really is a energy drain. Causes brain fog too. My whole family has problems with anemia so I'm a little concerned. Stocking up on protein drinks.
 
It's clear there are some yoga poses that will forever be out.:(


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BossK i can't imagine doing yoga again... but can't wait to get back to pilates!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jboles, those protein drinks are a great source of iron. I found the reluctance to give blood transfusions surprising. I was told it was due to blood being such a limited, and costly, resource. Even self-donation is considered costly, so not encouraged (because I totally would have done that). So unless you have a post-op hemoglobin below 7 (normal is 12 to 15), no transfusion. Mine was 7.2. So no blood for me. But what that meant was my body had to work overtime to make new blood. The twice daily iron pills became a problem when they wrecked my stomach. Most people don't react so badly to iron pills.

You should definitely tell your OS if you have concerns about post-op anemia. He or she might handle it very differently. You know your body best of anyone!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom