Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Hmmm, "Have toilet seat, will travel,"? I'm choking on my coffee. :dancy:@jaschembra , your mother is a real whipper-snapper! What a great story, lol. Congratulations on the hands-free use of your toilet!

Susieshoes, when will you get your hemoglobin results? I'm crossing all digits for a good outcome!
 
I'm praying the results are much improved for your blood count!
 
Yes, let us know what your results are!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Week 4 Knee-versary!

Today is 4 weeks since I remodeled my knees. I guess the thing to do is look back and see if things have gotten better. Um... heck yeah!

Four weeks ago today, I could barely stand and hobble to a bedside commode. Three weeks ago today just standing and moving by walker to the bathroom was painful and slow. Two weeks ago, getting to the bathroom was better, but sitting still brought on pain because of bending. One week ago, things were much better. And today, getting up is easy, the discomfort minor (though still present), sitting not a problem, and I can walk much longer distances.

Four weeks ago today, I was taking painkillers every four hours on the dot. 10mg oxy like clockwork. It helped. At two weeks I was weaning off the oxy. Today I am not taking pain meds at all except the occasional Tylenol.

Four weeks ago, the prospect of standing unassisted was terrifying, painful and seemed impossible. Today I stand and walk without assistive devices (the latter only for short distances in the kitchen and bathroom).

Four weeks ago I was wondering what the heck I'd done to myself and questioning my decision (where my knees really so bad I signed on for THIS?). Today I'm convinced I did the right thing, see some light at the end of this long recovery tunnel, and struggling more with the fact it's just taking so darn long and why can't I move things forward faster.

Which is where I am right now, one month in and wishing it were three months. I would love to just skip over the next few weeks and all the incremental progress that awaits me, and just get to the part where I can take long leisurely walks around the neighborhood. The morning and evening walk by cane down to the stop sign at the end of my block, then back, then feeling tired and like walking any further would just aggravate my protesting knees is getting old.

That said, I am making baby steps forward. Today I brought in the recycling bins from the street. It took two trips (two bins), but it felt good to be able to do this myself. The other evening, I made dinner for the first time since coming home from the hospital. Mr. Shoes was ever so happy with his liver and onions and, yesterday, a pot of chili. Easy meals, but a return to a sliver of normalcy. Getting out the cast iron pot for the chili was a challenge but, surprisingly, less difficult than I feared. I can bend down to a lower shelf quite well, and the weight of the pot presented no problem at all. Onions still make me cry, though, and groping about the kitchen for a paper towel is probably not the wisest thing for someone with two new knees to do. Still, paper towel found and dinner accomplished.

For the first day since surgery, Lefty, my problem knee, is not HURTING. That one spot that has hurt every day, and worse with PT, is quiet today. I'm almost afraid to mention it, lest I jinx myself. It's not GONE, but it is quiet. When I walk, it is a shadow of a pain. My knees feel tight and stiff, but they do not hurt, and it's really quite wonderful. I even did a couple of gentle heel slides to see what would happen. Twinge, but still quiet. I'm thinking the gentler PT session on Monday, followed by yesterday just resting and icing and doing a few gentle stretches, is easing Lefty toward healing. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping today is not a fluke.

I haven't heard back yet from my doctor about my hemoglobin level. If I don't hear soon, I'll call her.

All in all, I'm doing well. I'm nowhere close to returning to my occupation as an author. I can't sit at my desk for hours, fueled only by coffee and inspiration. I tried to write a scene yesterday and... nada. The characters just sat there and refused to think, talk, or do anything. I did, however, somewhat manage to revise an existing scene. That was hopeful. Baby steps.
 
SusieShoes, what a remarkable recovery journey you've had to date! You are literally the poster child for Bi-Lateral knees and an inspirational, rock-star to all of us who had one knee done. I'm so happy for you I feel a few tears coming on and that doesn't happen often.

I fully understand the struggle between your abilities at present and your desire for much, much more. I went through that with my hip and it's not fun, but you can't do anything to hurry total healing. That energy drain will be with you for a long time, however, you may very well be one of the exceptional people who feel just about 100% at 6 months versus a year. I know, I know, that's 5 months from now, but now is your time to just kick back and enjoy what you've already accomplished. You've really come a long way baby and FAST! I think you'll find your niche with the next phase of recovery, just as well as you've done with this phase. It certainly has it's own challenges, but patience really can be cultivated.

Sitting at a desk for hours on end would be dreadful right now. That said, why not sit in your recliner and either dictate story ideas or type them on your tablet? Even if your thoughts are somewhat disjointed right now, you may come up with some pearls for future use. :SUNsmile:

Mister Shoes must've been thrilled with your cooking, hahaha! Wait....uh-oh....does this mean you'll be cooking every night now? Or, maybe you are one of those people like my Mistah that really enjoys cooking? If so, than it's ok.

Keep up the good work and the slow progress and keep posting here no matter how good you feel. We all need your sunshine!:yes!:
 
@Pheebs52, I'm actually frightfully lazy and dislike the hard work of recovery. Lugging ice packs to my recliner, lugging them back, having to eat proper meals instead of live on coffee and yogurt, taking several shorter walks (because I must) instead of the one long quiet morning stroll I would prefer... I would much rather be on the other side. I guess that's where patience comes in. On the plus side, I am catching up on the TV shows of my childhood, like Perry Mason and The Rifleman.

I am an enthusiastic cook. On the weeks we have FIL, meals consist of fish and mush. He eats nothing else. But the weeks he's with SIL... I like to treat Mr. Shoes to something tasty and healthy. We're both watching our weight. This week I've cooked twice, so... he's cooking tonight. :snork: Or taking me out for Indian or Thai. One plus of our neighborhood is it has a host of great little restaurants.
 
SusieShoes, I just had to laugh about the ice-pack lugging; can't help it! Of course, those ARE big ice-packs! I vote for Thai food tonight, in fact, perhaps that's what we will do.:SUNsmile:

Your insight on where patience comes in is spot-on. Naturally, we all have different aspects of this lengthy healing process that bug us, but on some level, we do get to choose what we find most annoying. I think what I'm saying (remember I'm fuzzy on 10mg of Oxy) is that we can focus on the less annoying aspects instead, and on our little victories as well, and it certainly seems to me you have. Of course, only you know where your head hangs-out, we just see the brilliant, sunny picture presented here. You could try a little re-framing by telling yourself something like, "Eh, who needs a long walk when I can take 3 short ones instead." You get the drift, I'm sure. It works for weight-loss as well and I say this as one who lost and kept off 50 pounds on WW'ers. Ok, so I gained 8 back over 10 years, but who's counting? Not me right now!

Oh, and being able to sit in a restaurant right now? That's a huge victory! :wowspring:
 
@SusieShoes - your progress continues to be inspiring! I can so relate to your questions about did you make the right decision. I have thought that as well. I have asked if I did the right thing by having both done, should I have waited on the left, should I have waited for both. And then I go out for my short little walks and I don't have the pain I did before surgery. Even going up and down stairs is easier than before.

It will be great when we are a few months out and can do so much more than we can today. As much as I am impatient with this recovery, I do know that we will appreciate the results because of the journey.

And CONGRATS on your left knee not hurting! I hope that continues!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@IowaNana, yes, those little things, those tiny triumphs, are life-changing. Like going up and down the stairs. Yes, it hurts so much less now. Stiffness, now, not pain. Still slow, still not "normal" but so much easier than it was before. I look forward to what the next month brings!
 
@Pheebs52, those ice packs are heavy too! Maybe I can use them to help gain extension somehow. Warning: they take up lots of freezer space!
 
I use my ice pack to help with extension and yes, they are a bit heavy. I do not suggest you use them yet as your baby knees (as much as the want to show you how grown up they can be) are still way too young. :)
 
Glad I have an extra freezer, looks like I'll need it, lol!
 
I'm cringeing at the thought of any kind of weighted extension; aaccck!
 
Yep... remember, I'm just past 5 months. I set my timer for 15 min. and just make that, when I start feeling uncomfortable. Bending after, is slow and steady as our knees don't like to bend when straight for so long lol
 
Thanks for the warning. I wasn't really about to load up my knee, but the thought crossed my mind! I just started doing the ottoman extension exercise a few times a day. No weight. Just letting gravity help a bit for now. My extension is pretty good. Righty is at 0 but Lefty has shortened hamstrings from a year of neglect. Nothing a program of gentle stretching can't fix, but it took time to shorten the hammies, and it will take time to stretch them back into shape.
 
TNothing a program of gentle stretching can't fix, but it took time to shorten the hammies, and it will take time to stretch them back into shape.
Exactly so.
 
That darn Lefty, lol! She's just a slowpoke but she'll catch up!
 
Week 4: Iron Woman

Good news on the hemoglobin front: my number jumped from 7.2 leaving rehab to 11.2 as of Monday. My doctor says just keep eating lots of liver and spinach (I will cut out the Cheerios, not because I don't like them but because as a diabetic I would rather eat yogurt for breakfast). Doctor is rather amazed at my body's ability to produce red blood cells. Given my level of tiredness, I'd say that's ALL my body's been doing!

And Lefty, my problem child, is holding up well today also. Took a couple of walks up and down the block and both knees loosened up nicely. Lefty still has more stiffness, but the pain on the inside of the knee is mostly gone. The main thing holding me back from longer walks are my lower back tiring out before my knees, and a lingering, general lack of stamina. It may take a while to build that stamina back up.

Tomorrow PT is going to start me on the stationary bike. My mom, who had both her knees replaced a decade ago, swears riding her stationary bike is what got her excellent results. Seriously, the old gal can sit on her feet. I may never get her flexion, but I am hoping a bike might help with stamina. If I can do the bike, I will likely buy one for at home. Something basic, not fancy.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom