Bilateral THR Supersub’s recovery

Excellent progress :yes!:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Supersub!
Good to read you’re doing well and able to do a phased return to work. I hope today goes smoothly for you and your transition back to work is seamless. Best of luck! Please stay in touch and let us know how it’s going for you.
@Supersub
 
Thank you @Layla for the good wishes. I can’t believe it’s three months.
My return to work is going smoothly. My first full day last week was tiring and I was a bit sore but I fully expected it and it was manageable. I worked another full day on Monday which went well and return again tomorrow for another full day. I’ll step up to three days next week.
I still need to master the art of sitting down on the floor and getting back up again which is a large part of my job in a children’s nursery. I can do it but it’s not pretty :heehee:
Every week I find new things I can do, like painting my toenails, jogging upstairs to get something I’ve forgotten or skipping (just from foot to foot not with jump ropes).
I’m reaping the benefits of my surgery and recovery now and just hope the progress continues.
Thanks for all the support and best wishes to my fellow hippies.
 
To even be trying to master up / down from the floor at this point….as a BILATERAL is amazing. There was nothing that required me to get down on the floor early on so I just figured those days were over until I felt challenged to sit criss cross applesauce by another hippy and did it, although I was much further along than you and only had one hip replaced.

I understand the getting up part, lol. Each time I did I envisioned that garden ornament of the woman bent over :heehee: Nothing graceful about it! You’re doing great, keep it up, even better days coming! @Supersub

1721221097208.jpeg
 
Gosh....I don't know if I'll ever get up and down from the floor again. It seems so daunting! Good for you!
 
Almost 4 months update

I’ve been away on holiday. I bought foldable walking sticks for long walks through airports and on unfamiliar ground and was delighted I didn’t need them.
Lots of new achievements unlocked - walking on sand, walking up and down steep hills and steps, swimming, dancing, lifting heavy suitcases, walking further than I had before (in very hot conditions).
The only issue I had was tossing and turning at night as the bed wasn’t very comfortable.
I still have some swelling on my left side. I’ve got a bit lax about doing my physio exercises but was active in lots of other ways.
I’m back at the physio tomorrow - hope I won’t get into trouble for only doing my exercises a couple of days when I was away. I return full time to work on Tuesday.

What a journey it has been to get to this point. Thanks for everyone’s great advice and support along the way. I do appreciate how fortunate I’ve been in my recovery and wish everyone well.


:thankyou:
 
Last edited:
:yes!:
So many lovely milestones on holiday!!!!
 
@Supersub ….. my friend ….. there are NO worries about skipping formal exercises for a while. As you said yourself, you were “walking on sand, walking up and down steep hills and steps, swimming, dancing, lifting heavy suitcases, walking further than I had before (in very hot conditions).” That IS exercise! And just the right kind, too. It’s activities of daily living that you enjoy and that’s the whole point of joint replacement. Congratulations on accomplishing all this so early in your recovery. You’re doing great!
 
Wow, @Supersub, you are doing so well. Glad you were able to enjoy your holiday with your new hips!
:flwrysmile:
 
Where has the time gone…
I’m now 6 months post op and my overwhelming feeling is one of gratitude. I’ve got my life back :yahoo:
I’ve been dancing :) :-) (:I can move and lift stuff. I can walk longer distances. I’ve been given the OK by my physio to do whatever sports or activities I want - though she advised against bungee jumping. I saw a second physio who happened to be treating my daughter and he checked me out and said the surgeon had done a great job. I kinda knew that anyway from everyday use of the new hips.

I did have an issue with extreme fatigue a few weeks after my full time return to work but I think that was due to a covid infection. I’m fully recovered now. I also still have tight glutes but I’m working on that.

Wishing everyone well in their recoveries and thanks again for the support
 
@Supersub I think that bit about no bungee jumping is standard advice ... particularly for bilaterals! My surgeon said the same thing to me when he discharged me from his active practice :heehee:
 
I’m now 8 months post op and I’m so grateful for the transformation in my life.
I’m looking forward to continuing to improve my fitness and stamina and my new challenge is learning shuffle dancing. I can’t wait.
I want to thank everyone for their support on here which helped immensely in difficult times.
I wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and send all my best wishes for a happy healthy 2025.
Your kindness and sage advice kept me going
 
And your recovery story is also appreciated & helpful to all that check in looking for answers to their concerns & questions as we all travel the "bumpy" recovery road.
Happy Holidays to you & family. :wreath:
 
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: @Supersub It is wonderful to hear you are doing well with your new hips! Thanks for stopping by here.
 
Happy birthday to me and more importantly happy 1st birthday to my new hips!
What a great job they have done! I’m so grateful for the range of movement and to be pretty much pain free.
I’ve been dancing, skipping, helping with football (soccer) training and have recently taken up running with the help of the uk health service’s couch to 5k app. I can move furniture, work in the garden, take rubbish to the tip - mundane things I am still incredibly pleased I can do.
I have a follow-up X-ray next week which I hope will show all is well and they will be as happy with my progress as I am.
I’m not on here very often these days but once again thanks for all the support, advice and encouragement along the way. I couldn’t have done it without you. :yahoo:
 
Back
Top Bottom