Bilateral THR Supersub’s recovery

I had right replacement & used cane on left side. So I'd figure same so opposite side of weaker leg.
 
I use my cane on opposite side and it moves with recovering side. For outside walking I purchased two trekking poles which are fabulous. I bought the snow baskets to use last winter but did not need to use them. I will be able to use them long past recovery for hikes etc.
 
I will transition from a walker to a cane. It does feel weird because you have only half support. Trusting your new hardware takes time and practice. It gets better over time. If someone walks in my space or gets to close I don’t have the regroup instinct so I stop until they move.
 
@Supersub Just do what feels best to you. One day you will stand up to go do something and forget to take the crutches. Maybe practice just at home using just one crutch or using a cane instead of crutches or even going without any aid. I have a small kitchen and did my no aid practice there .... just 3 steps across with lots of options for grab on support if needed.
 
8 week update

I’m making progress with walking without crutches but still use them on uneven ground or one crutch when I’m walking on the flat but a slightly longer distance.
I’m making much slower progress on flexibility - such as being able to bend down to pick something off the floor or kneel down and get back up again. I can’t bend much at all. I did get to kneeling once and had to shout my husband to come and lift me back to standing. To be fair, I couldn’t bend properly to pick stuff up for two years before my op so it’s not going to be a quick fix. Hopefully I’ll get to see a physiotherapist soon to get suitable exercises and advice.
I still long for a good night’s sleep. I’m still not able to lie on either side, not even for a minute or two, and don’t manage more than an hour or so at a time sleeping on my back. I do get a decent amount of sleep, just broken up.
I’ve started driving, just short trips so far but hoping to start venturing further from home. It’ll be nice to drive to go for walks that aren’t just a variation on going round the block.
Sometimes I feel like I’m getting nowhere fast then look back at this thread and what I can do at home and how far I can walk and realise it’s pretty awesome.
 
Hi
I’m looking for some input or advice about travel insurance. I’m going round in circles thinking about it…
Looking for quotes I’ve declared osteoarthritis as a condition and the surgery I’ve had. It asks - does this condition require you to use mobility aids? with various options as answers including the two most relevant to me. Walking sticks or frame. OR None.
At the moment I use crutches or a crutch or a stick for longer distances or when on uneven terrain but I’m walking more each day without an aid.
The trip is in about 7 weeks’ time and I am hoping my walking will be greatly improved by then and hopefully crutch/stick free. However the place we are going looks a bit hilly, there’s also an beach and it will be hot so walking will involve more effort. I’m thinking it’s safer to say I need sticks even if I end up not using them much. Walking through airports can also be very draining.
I’d appreciate your input.
Thanks
 
Travel insurance is a great idea- not sure how to answer that one. I have trekking poles that I love. They are meant for hiking. I would see if the airport offers a chair service for getting from one place to another. I am not great after extended sitting down and this would help me so I didn’t feel rushed. Where are you traveling to? There are many posts with travel information.
 
Thank for your swift reply @Hippie Chick :)
It’s not so much that I need travel assistance or anything specific to the place I’m going.
It’s more about health insurance for if I need medical treatment abroad. From an insurer point of view if I say I need sticks then don’t use them, then I could be liable. Likewise if I say I don’t need them, then use them, they could say, “well you didn’t tell us you needed sticks”. :shrug:
And it’s hard to know how much improvement there will be in my walking in the meantime.
Honesty is the best policy so I think I need to say I need walking stick because I do need them now for any walk longer than about a third of a mile.
 
No problem I shared the trekking poles because they let me not worry in my uneven yard, get off the beaten path, etc. I have the snow tips for winter. I just had my second replacement done. I will use them later too. I have relatives in the UAE and that is where I saw the chairs. I am in travel envy as I have not traveled recently. I am slightly nervous about future travel and setting off the metal detectors even though I have cards explaining it. If the insurance company has a rep ask them what to put. You will have a great time.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Sounds like you have something exciting to look forward to in seven weeks.
there’s also a beach and it will be hot so walking will involve more effort.
A word of caution. Your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

Take it slow and easy, I'd hate to see you sidelined on vacay after a too strenuous day at the beach.
Have a great week, Supersub!
 
Thank you @Layla!
I don’t plan to spend much time at the beach but I think there’s a part where you have to cross some sand to get to various restaurants and bars. Hopefully there will be enough places to eat and drink elsewhere in the resort that I don’t need to go on the sand much.
Thanks to everyone on the site for the support and encouragement on my recovery journey.
Nine weeks already! I’m seeing a physio the week after next and then it will be time to prepare for a phased return to work, all going well. Time flies!
 
I have used travel insurance for pre existing medical conditions on many occasions and have never been asked if I use aids (walking stick etc) the only thing they ask is about oxygen for my breathing condition, I am in uk which may be different to the US
 
I’m also in the UK @Kentpete. This is the first time I’ve had to mention a medical condition on travel insurance. I used a comparison website to find a quote/policy with good cover and the question was part of the health screening for osteoarthritis.
I’ll likely take my crutches for the airport and foldaway walking sticks for use as and when in the resort.
 
Week 10 update
I’m making good progress. My sleep is a lot better now I can lie on both sides without discomfort. My stamina is better too.
A big milestone for me was being able to do the big weekly supermarket shop without help, pain or restriction. I was concerned it might put me in the ODIC but it was OK. I was so proud of myself :)
I can do most things about the house, I just struggle to bend down low and to get up from kneeling. This is something I’m practising - general movements I’ll need for daily life and work.
My left side is still weaker and more swollen. I’m seeing the physio on Monday about how to strengthen this. Depending how that goes it will be time to start thinking about a phased return to work. Time flies!
All the best to all my fellow BoneSmarties
 
:yes!: That is a good update!!!!

It's a conundrum sometimes, when we're still healing (which you are) and there's swelling + weakness: targeted strengthening, either too early or too much, can create ODIC setbacks. Hopefully your physio will do a full re-assessment and have some good ideas.
 
Week 11 update
I saw the physio on Monday and she was delighted with my progress. I mentioned my surgeon said I might not get any further range of movement than I currently have but she reckoned it was worth trying to improve it. She says my glutes are still very tight and wants me to work on that.
She said the exercises I had been doing were too easy and has given me new ones. When I tried them on Monday night they nearly broke me and I was sore and limpy yesterday so I’m going to scale them back and increase the time/sets as I improve. I don’t want to be so wiped out by them that I can’t go out for walks or do anything strenuous.
She is happy for me to return to work as long as it is a phased return at my pace and not at my bosses’ pace. They are happy with that and I’m going in next week for a chat then will hopefully do one day the first week, two the second week if all goes well etc.
I did an hour long drive yesterday with only mild discomfort. The drive back was much easier. Happy with that as it’s a 40 min drive to work.
I’m trying to make the most of my remaining time off with a combination of “me time” - visiting friends, relaxing, getting a hair cut, enjoying some treats - and getting the house ready for me going back to the old routine.
Thanks again for all the support and encouragement along the way

:thankyou:
 
Wow, you are doing really well for less than three months post-op from bilateral surgery, @Supersub.

Good for you for managing a phased return to work -- and also for taking some "me time" before you go back.

Keep us posted!
 
Week 12 update
I’m continuing to make progress. I visited my work today to plan my phased return and I start back tomorrow. We agreed I’ll just do one day this week. We’ll see how that goes and I will look to do 2 days next week if all goes well.
I know I’ve still a long way to go in my recovery but I’m glad to start getting back to a new normal :)
 
Back
Top Bottom