Bilateral THR Supersub’s recovery

The surgeon said pre and post op that I would be off for 12 weeks and then a phased return.
Should I request up to the 12week mark? Or ask for 4 weeks by which point I will have seen my surgeon? Or does it not matter as the GP will decide what they feel is appropriate?
I would just discuss it with your GP. He will know what your work entails. They should be able to give you the appropriate length of note and tell you if he/ she needs any confirmation from your surgeon. The length of time off work depends a lot on what kind of work you do. Someone doing a physical job or one with a lot of standing needs much longer than a purely office job. Although even that may need a good few weeks if you can't rest/ elevate for periods during the day.
 
The surgeon said pre and post op that I would be off for 12 weeks and then a phased return.
Should I request up to the 12week mark? Or ask for 4 weeks by which point I will have seen my surgeon? Or does it not matter as the GP will decide what they feel is appropriate?
I would just discuss it with your GP. He will know what your work entails. They should be able to give you the appropriate length of note and tell you if he/ she needs any confirmation from your surgeon. The length of time off work depends a lot on what kind of work you do. Someone doing a physical job or one with a lot of standing needs much longer than a purely office job. Although even that may need a good few weeks if you can't rest/ elevate for periods during the day.
Thanks @EalingGran. It seems to be a bit random with fit notes. The woman in the next bed to me got a 6 week sick line leaving hospital after her single THR. I got three week one after my bilateral THR. :shrug: Unfortunately my GP doesn’t offer appointments for fit notes, you request one online and then they contact you if they need more information or if they feel they need to see you. I do have a physical job in a children’s nursery so I think the longer period off is a reasonable request. I will probably ask for this, also noting when I am due to see the surgeon and let the GP decide or ask to see me/call me. They will have my hospital discharge letter and other info on file. Appreciate your prompt response.
 
so I think the longer period off is a reasonable request
100% agree. Went back to my desk job at 6 weeks and it was “fine” but some discomfort from sitting in a chair most of the day, had to take breaks to get up and move around A LOT for first few weeks back. Definitely ask for all the time off you can get!

3 weeks for any kind of standing up/walking around job sounds way too short. If you recover that fast you’re doing great!!
 
4 weeks since op

I’ve been hit by a wave of fatigue in the last couple of days. I don’t think I’ve landed myself in the ODIC, it’s just everything and anything seems to wear me out from getting dressed or showered to making a simple sandwich. I was able to do these with no issues previously. I’m pacing myself and resting and napping when I need to.
I’m trying to maintain as much movement as I can - exercises, bustling about the kitchen, walking in the house and short outdoors walks. If I sit too long I get sore, so trying to do a mix of movement throughout the day and trying to build or at least maintain my activity/steps.
I dearly wish I could get a more comfortable night’s sleep but that will just take time with bilateral posterior wounds :bored:
Still don’t have much focus for binge watching TV which I thought would be my go-to for passing the time. I’ve enjoyed reading and knitting instead.
I’ve been doing video calls with friends for a bit of company as the rest of the house is at work/school during the day and out most evenings. I’ve also got a couple of visitors this week which I’m looking forward to.
I’ve requested a sick note from my GP for time off work until July. I’ll find out about that later in the week or they’ll call me in the meantime.
Thanks again for everyone’s advice and support along the way
 
I'm sorry you are having so much trouble sleeping. I'm a chronic insomniac, I always feel so bad for people who normally can sleep and suddenly can't.
 
I’ve been hit by a wave of fatigue in the last couple of days. I don’t think I’ve landed myself in the ODIC, it’s just everything and anything seems to wear me out
You are not alone. Most of us deal with this during the early days of recovery.

It's because your body is working hard to repair itself from the trauma of surgery. Recovery takes all of your energy, which is why you fatigue so easily. It may seem like you are doing "nothing," but your body's energy stores are busy doing things like making and restoring lost blood, repairing soft tissue damage, and beginning the process of producing the important building blocks to insuring proper bone growth into your new prosthesis so it can be solid and not loosen.

It does improve with time.
 
@luvcats I’m sorry you suffer with chronic insomnia. It must be tough dealing with that and I hope you get some respite and rest/sleep when you can.

@benne68 While the aches and pains when walking and the zips and zaps are regular reminders of the surgery, I didn’t really consider the massive impact internally. It does make sense that healing will take a huge amount of energy. I’ll keep trying to listen to my body and rest.
 
@Supersub You might also find the articles on this page helpful.

 
@Supersub Alas fatigue and sleep problems are very very common - especially after having a BTHR which is, afterr all, 2 MAJOR surgeries done at the same time. I had what I called "nap attacks" for about 4-5 months after surgery - it does take lots of energy to heal from this. Healing is not finished when the incisions are healed - there is still a lot of internal healing to do. And the sleep problems - yup it is very difficult to get comfortable when both hips are involved. I had rented a hospital bed following my BTHR and slept with legs elevated for about 3 months after surgery. My night time routine was take pain meds before getting into bed, elevate legs , put ice packs on each hip and then relax. Usually I was able to sleep fairly well -- at least for a few hours. Or unless the 2 hefty Maine Coon cats tromped across me.

And as Benne68 said - it does improve with time!!!
 
Last edited:
I am constantly amazed at how exhausting sitting in my recliner with the occasional trip to the loo is.

I was just having a conversation with a friend who happened to have a hysterectomy with significant removal of fibroids and endometriosis on the same day as my THR. She is shocked how exhausted she is, even though nothing hurts and she only has 5 tiny little incisions. She is normally very active and athletic. So now she is bored out of her mind but too tired to do anything.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
We appreciate you sharing your journey with us and hope you have a great weekend! Take care! :)
@Supersub
 
Five weeks since the op.
I’ve noticed a real difference this week. :) I’m moving better and with much less pain. I’m gradually going further and very slightly increasing pace. I’m still resting after walks but haven’t needed so many naps this week.
Today I walked the very short distance to a local restaurant and took my dad out for lunch for his birthday. A lovely treat for both of us and a wee sign for me of life starting to get back to normal being able to do things like that.
At the weekend I walked to a shop with my daughter and pushed a trolley round to get some bits and pieces. Cost me a fortune as I was so excited to be out I ended up buying all sorts of nonsense. I needed my son to drive me home, had hoped to walk back, but going shopping is another milestone.
I finally got up the courage to look at my wounds. They are in pretty good shape, faded to a pink line, each approx 8 inches long (posterior approach). I have a small numb area in the side of my left thigh, which I’m not too worried about. There’s a stitch end that hasn’t dissolved at the bottom of my right incision. I’ll probably need to go back to the nurse to get that trimmed or removed. If I can get through to my GP surgery to get an appointment.
I’ve been signed off work until early July so I can concentrate on trying to recover and be fit, healthy and strong. Hopefully I will be ready to return at that point but if not I’ll just continue to work on my recovery until I am. I have a full-on energetic job in a nursery so I have to be able to give 100%.
Another big positive is that my Fragmin injections (anti-clotting) are almost complete. Thank goodness for that! I have not enjoyed that one bit.
I’m still not sleeping that well but with all the other positives, I’m fine with that.
I know that progress isn’t always linear and I’m sure there will be some struggles and tears to come but it has been nice to chalk up some successes this week.
Thanks again to everyone on here for the support and encouragement.
 
@Supersub What a lovely treat for you and your Dad to have lunch together and celebrate his birthday and your healing! Sounds to me like you are doing very well indeed. :loveshwr:
 
6 week update
I’m continuing to make steady progress. I’m walking/moving a bit further. I’ve been on a bus! I’ve crutched round some shops. I’ve been out for lunch again. I’ve watched my son and daughter play football (soccer). I can empty the dishwasher (not thrilled about that one :bored:)

I still get very tired at times but not yet sleeping great. I can lie on my left side for 5 seconds at a time and my right for 10 seconds. I think side sleeping is a while off yet. :)

The other health issue that was concerning me has been dealt with and all is well. Phew!

I feel like I need to strengthen muscle to allow me to bend/squat with my hip upgrade but don’t want to overdo it. I tried to use the regular toilet instead of the raised seat yesterday and I don’t think I’m ready for that yet.

I see my surgeon for follow-up next week so I will see what he suggests regarding exercise.

Have a good week everyone
 
Week 7 update
I seem to be progressing well. I saw the surgeon today and he’s pretty happy with how I’m getting on.

He’s happy with my wounds and how they have healed.

He wants me to wean myself off the crutches and slowly increase the amount I’m walking without them.

I mentioned I feel weaker on the left side and he checked my balance and said there did seem to be more wobble on the left. He’s referring me for physio but said there’s a long wait.

He suggested doing leg raises to the side (which I already do) but adding a heavier shoe for more resistance. But otherwise to continue with the exercises I was given when I left hospital and try to do more of the real-life skills I want to get stronger at - like bending to get things out of cupboards, being able to kneel etc

The surgeon said my range of movement may not improve but he’s happy that I’m pain free ( and so am I!) and he thinks it’s better that than having a better range of movement and still being in pain.

Happy to be on the right track. I had been using my crutches less at home but wasn’t sure if this was a good idea as I still limp on my left. I’m forward to my first no-crutch walk outside and I’m going to try driving soon.

Just hope I don’t end up in the ODIC!
 
Ok, so call me super cautious (because I am), cause I never ever want to fall again & break or fracture another body part, but if you are still limping give the one crutch a little longer to help you along, what's the rush? Especially outside, so many different terrains, rocks, tree roots...yikes.
JMHO.
All my best.
 
Thank you. I appreciate your concern. I will continue to use crutches on unfamiliar or uneven ground and for longer distances. My plan is to only do short walks without crutches on flat ground in dry conditions (less than 5mins).
I never even thought to ask the surgeon about using one crutch. Would I use it on the left (weaker) side or the other? :shrug: :)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom