@Stiff knee NC My experience with adhesions involved my knee/leg stiffening to the point where there was a definite hard stop, at which point the knee would NEVER bend further. No pushing by a PT, nor decrease in exercise could improve my flexion. Sitting all day didn't cause ANY improvement or change, so there was a definite "stuck" point. All the rest in the world didn't help my range of motion, and the knee literally felt STUCK.
The same PT tried to convince me I had adhesions a few weeks earlier, but at that time, he could force it further (now I know he shouldn't have!!), and biking DID help my range. When I had TRUE adhesions though, biking was impossible, and forcing the knee became impossible, and resting the knee accomplished nothing---in provement at ALL. The biggest thing to note was there was no pain either. I was told that's a sign---if you're swollen/inflamed, you'll have pain and discomfort. If scar tissue is just in the way, with no swelling/inflammation to worry about, it would make sense there might be no pain.
Also keep in mind I ended up getting to the point of adhesions because of some very bad advice by that PT as time went on, plus I got super sick and was in bed for almost 3 wks with no biking, no weight-bearing AT ALL. I caught the flu from my son and ended up with "borderline" pneumonia. I was basically bed-ridden with fever for 10 days with the next 2 wks almost as bad. The knee was already hot/swollen/inflamed from overly aggressive PT before that, so it was a very very bad combination of things.
Personally, at 4-5 months post-op from TKR, if you gain
anything at all from resting, icing, elevating, pr riding your bike for 5 minutes, you probably do NOT have adhesions. I also find it hard to believe you could have ~115-120 flexion with adhesions too. That just doesn't go together.
I definitely feel your frustration and get it. I'm used to being super active and busy. At almost 7 months post-op, I still can end up with a very stiff knee from doing too much one day.... and each day still differs from the one before. Luckily, I can see steady, but SLOOOOWWWWWW improvement though, and there's never been a hard stop like before either...so I know it's a matter of time and patience.
Lastly, you mentioned the straightening device your surgeon has you using. I've used one for straightening and bending back in 2016. Both hurt my knee A LOT. I could easily see that keeping your soft tissues aggravated enough to hurt constantly. Daily pulling/force on your soft tissues
is guaranteed to keep the knee in some state of unhappiness, even if it is helping your range of motion. I was supposed to sleep in my extension brace and could only tolerate it an hour each evening. It was B.R.U.T.A.L.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you want some more clarification. I don't mind at all.