Hip Infection* Sudden pain 2 1/2 years after hip revision

@Fractured oh I soooo feel for you!! It’s hard to imagine going through that multiple times!! I know my spacer hurt like heck. Bleh. Do they know why you kept getting infected? I will pray you get relief soon!!

Am actually at an urgent care place now w a sinus infection and am terrified the infection will go to my hip! Getting antibiotics for it...do our tummies EVER get back to normal?

@Layla ty I’m hoping this year will be better!! Have to laugh so I don’t cry. Do you know is it normal for my incision to still be sore/stiff after just over 3 months? I know I strained it but gee. Didn’t think I’d still need Tylenol. Sigh
 
@Mojo333 thanks. Was reading the healing info and it said could take time plus I have to keep reminding myself I didn’t have the normal replacement but a revision which was a more extensive surgery ( lol as my OS keeps telling me...he’s happy w my progress and said it will be a good year before I’m fully healed). I think I just live scared about another infection. Almost didn’t survive the last one and really don’t want to go there again.
 
I am sure I would certainly be hypersensitive about every ache and pain!
My thread shows I had every "Is this normal?" question you can conceive of..:heehee: Really!
Time is the greatest healer...truly.

You have lots of folks cheering you on!:friends:
 
Hi @Whoknew
Sorry you're dealing with a sinus infection. I hope it clears quickly.
I think the probiotics you're taking in addition to the antibiotics you're on should help your intestinal tract.
Please research it yourself but I've heard it's best to take the pro-biotic far removed from the antibiotic, like hours later.

My incision area was also sensitive for months, tiny numb areas also. Not anything I feel you should worry about at this stage of recovery.

I'm sure experiencing an infection is frightening. My heart goes out to those who deal with this set-back. I imagine you would have some anxiety about it returning. All you can do is try to live your best life in the present and deal with adversity as it comes without letting it take up space in your head in the interim.

Hugs and prayers this year is a good one for you!
@Whoknew
 
So glad I’m not the only “nervous Nellie” out there . The whole experience affected my relationship, friendships (lost a friend as she’d thought I was just being “lazy” when in actuality I was terribly ill and told my boyfriend/partner to leave me) and oddly enough activated my pre-cognitive abilities wayyyy more than I liked! (Runs in my family). I just am trying to take it one day at a time. I know I’m a survivor but wow I’m so tired of the daily fight some days lol. Humor helps me. Been reading lots of positive affirmations on Pinterest and that helps. Back into my crafts and actually managed to get a bunch of stuff finally listed and active again on my Etsy page...yay me lmao!!
 
Sorry you lost someone who you considered a friend, but her attitude about your recovery certainly was unhelpful and certainly not very Friend-ly.
Good for you for getting back to your talents and keeping a positive attitude!
Chance is going to come...and attitude is everything.
:egypdance:
 
Last edited:
You'll most likely find a lot of Nervous Nellie's here since pre-op and Recovery can stir up anxiety. Many feel they're facing uncertainty and it makes them anxious. Others are finding it a struggle to accept their new normal, or get back to what they were used to before the deterioration of their hip(s).

I'm sorry a friendship ended through your journey. I'm sure you each felt your needs weren't being met by the other and were disappointed by the relationship. Maybe at some point the bond can be restored.

You've been through a lot and you are a survivor. So keep on fighting the good fight and if humor helps, use it. You know the old saying....Laughter is the best medicine. Congrats on getting back into your crafts and your Etsy page up and running again.

I hope you have a great day!
@Whoknew
 
@Whoknew You mentioning PTSD caught my eye. Although our stories are very different I can relate on that topic. At one point the lawyer had me see a psychologist and she said I had "an adjustment disorder".

It will be 5 years in March since all this started and in April I get my hip fixed up properly. To say things like this are life changing is such an understatement in my opinion and it's important to acknowledge that. Know that you are not alone in this journey. I try to keep the thought that things can only get better and if they don't, I guess I am better than many.

I do hope your sinus infection clears up quickly with no complications. Being nervous of another infection affecting your hip when you had a such a close call must be very nerve wracking!
:flwrysmile:
 
@Whoknew and @Carriemay60 - I have edited Carrimay's post, above, but the complete post has been copied to Carriemay60's own recovery thread, here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hip-collapse.52335/page-5

Carriemay's post was interesting, but it contained so many details that it might possibly have taken Whoknew's recovery thread off the topic of her recovery.

Do go to Carriemay's own recovery thread, to read her whole story. Thank you.
 
well I wish I could say the week was better but....ends up losing the "friendship" was a good thing as she'd had a fling with my ex while I was ill. Gee...heck of a friend. To say my partner's and my relationship is going through a rough spot is an understatement right now! Nothing like adding to the fun, huh?

Yes, I do worry about getting another infection. I guess any of us who went through that particular hell definitely does, and even regular "hippies" do so I know I'm not alone. I will admit the thought does terrify me!

@Carriemay60, I'm going to read your post in full to be better able to respond. I do definitely get the PTSD stuff all too well though. Had it prior to this and this has just exacerbated it, it seems. Bleh.

Ah well, at least the Etsy stuff is getting better. Had a couple of people inquiring about orders, and a batch of favoriting of items which was a nice boost and much needed right now. And on we continue, huh?
 
I'm so sorry people you thought you could count on & trust are letting you down right now. You sound like a very strong woman and eventually will come out stronger. Don't forget you are #1!!! :)
 
Fortunately (or not) I’ve been through a lot of bad stuff in my life which has just managed to make me stronger (ok and a bit damaged as well lol). We just need to keep plugging in I guess. Beats the alternative!!
 
Interesting about the pre-cognitive stuff. I found this enhanced when was on certain medication! Runs in my family too :-)

Hope your very understandable anxiety decreases and you start to get back to some form of normality. You are very brave!
 
Happy Saturday!
Saw your post elsewhere and made me wonder how you're doing?
I hope things are going well for you since you last posted.
I'm getting ready for another snow storm in my neck of the woods this weekend. I'm Over It!!
Hope you're feeling well and have something fun planned for the weekend. :SUNsmile:
Hugs to you :friends:
@Whoknew
 
I know Layla..so ready for Spring here! Doing ok. Going to the gym and able to do 50-70 lbs w the leg weight machines at this point so happy about that. Waiting for weather to warm and legs a bit stronger to try getting back on a horse again. Still needing Tylenol but the nurse from my insurance company said it’s to be expected still. Wish I could say was a good weekend but an old dear friend of mine died and my best friend’s daughter has only a day or two left per her oncologist so it’s not been the happiest . Just plugging through as what other choice do we have huh? Hope your snow melts quickly! I’m looking forward to hearing peepers!!! I did see my first snowdrops blooming and the crocuses are starting to pop so I’m hopeful
 
Aww, such sad news regarding the loss of your friend, and the condition of your best friends daughter. I'm sorry for your loss and heavy heart. :console2:

On a lighter note, I'm happy to read you're getting some satisfaction from the gym. The snow here is melting FAST. With longer sunnier days and the sun higher in the sky, I think it will be gone within the week. :happydance:
You're lucky to see the sight of flowers popping up, or blooming. I won't see that for a time but I'm being very patient because I know it's just around the corner.

I hope you continue to see steady progress and I wish you a lovely week!
@Whoknew
 
Just stopping by to say Hi :hi: and wish you a good weekend.
I noticed you sharing advice and spreading cheer around here this morning.
Thanks for your support of others on the forum. You're appreciated. :flwrysmile:
@Whoknew
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom