Hip Infection* Sudden pain 2 1/2 years after hip revision

Went to bed last night and got horrible shaking chills. This is what happened when my infection started getting bad (fevers daily etc). I had my flu shot but my fever shot up super fast to 101.8 (very high for me) and everything hurts. Praying it’s the flu vs another infection! Rough night here. Bleh
 
@ Jaycey and @ Izabel no not fun. Flu is going around even w the flu shot. Know at least 10 people who got it anyway . Lol sad when flu is the “good” option! My boyfriend also was freaking due to the chills factor but given the fever spiked so suddenly I’m praying was that. I don’t generally run fevers unless raging infection or the flu. No pain Other than whole body aches, no discharge redness or swelling by incision so .

Was so exhausted I couldn’t even drive to urgent care to get tested. From what I remember n(back in the dark ages) of having the flu this sure feels like it! Still feverish and achy as all get out. Bleh!

Hope you’re doing well Izabel!! I keep praying for you to be past all of this!

Thanks for the concern. Only you guys get how something like this can freak you out
 
So sorry! I hope it's the flu as opposed to an infection. If it is the flu, with any luck it passes quickly.
Please stay in touch so we know how you're doing. :console2:
Wishing you comfort and a good night's sleep.
@Whoknew
 
Oh my stars...:fingersx::fingersx:
 
Just checking to see how you are doing today? Hope you got some rest last night.
 
Thank you, I am slowly getting there. Just take care of yourself and get checked out if need be, xx
 
Well so far temp is normal . Managed 6 hrs sleep yay. Even my step daughter questioned. Was it my hip or the flu ‍♀️ As when I’d gotten the chills w the infection it was while visiting her. Doing a lot of
 
Great news!
I hope you're able to get more rest over the weekend and are feeling tip-top by Monday.
Hugs :console2:
@Whoknew
 
@Whoknew Ooh i do hope you are feeling better from the hopefully fluey bug, its such a worry when we have had infection in the past, keeping all crossed, big hugsxxx
 
Still a bit achy and tired but fever is gone. Those of you who have had repeating infections, what were your first signs something was going on? I’m still honestly terrified it could happen again! Leg is aching but it’s raining like mad and that often happens when we have bad weather. Uggg. Hate the uncertainty. I’m afraid it would be the death knell for my relationship which doesn’t help matters!

I’d been planning reconstructive surgery on my opposite ankle for the fall and dammit started smoking again after 7 month quit. The stress of all of this plus finding out my long term boyfriend had cheated on me during it got me started again. Have to quit for two months minimum before surgeon will touch my ankle. Just very down today over it all.

To add to it my daughter who has already had half her thyroid removed has a cyst and another nodule on her remaining half. When she asked the dr “ could it be cancerous” the response was “ well we have to monitor it”. Not acceptable! We are trying to get second opinion down in NYC at one of the top hospitals. Gotta love it...not!
 
It sounds like a good sign to me. I'll bet (clodaghacov) and (Izabel) will weigh in on your questions.
I understand your fears and am assuming once you've been through it, it's easy to let your mind go to
"the bad place". It seems you are a strong woman and if an infection did resurface, you'd get through it as you have before.

I've read the following online -
" Some patients report increased pain and stiffness, or can feel changes in weather after hip surgery. For the first couple years, the bone adapts and grows around the metal prosthesis, and this bone activity probably leads to sensitivity to weather and pressure changes" MU Health Care

If suffering another setback in your health jeopardizes your relationship with your unfaithful partner, he's not worth it. If you can't count on someone to be faithful in your relationship and in sickness and health, he's undeserving of your love. You can do better. Consider speaking with your doctor about smoking cessation so you're able to move forward with your surgery and consequently your life.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. We want to protect our children from everything and worrying about them is a huge stressor. Hopefully nothing serious materializes. A second opinion sounds wise. You definitely have some anxiety producing situations going on. You will be in my prayers for comfort, peace of mind and healing.

I hope you can enjoy the day!
@Whoknew
 
@Layla ty. Agree that if my partner can’t be there for me yes true not worth it. The three (actually 6 omg) major health issues that have come up in our 8 years together would have broken most couples up after one or two. And he has been there for me through all of them, the last one resulting in a minor psychiatric breakdown on his part as a result. It’s not been easy on either of us.

We got into it today and finally it came out of me (hysterically crying I might add) that I was terrified at the thought of another infection and scared for my daughter, having just had my best friend lose hers to cancer at 38.

Lots (too much) going on in my head today, not much of it great. His suggestion was to document any fevers, increased pain etc so there’s a chart. It would have helped greatly if I’d done more of that the last time although I did w the fevers for the ID dr. Problem w the infection I had was that nothing would culture.. I was that oh so rare percentage when that happens. Only when I finally had the mri was it suggestive of infection in there, every other test ran by three hospitals (including at our big top teaching/trauma hospital up at Albany med) and the ID dr were negative. Even the pus they took out of me didn’t culture!

Weather is better a bit but still a bit more sore than usual in the leg, more near the incision area but no groin pain. A little swollen but that’s been the case as still healing from two major surgeries. I see the OS in a couple of weeks and will mention my concerns and will call him if anything gets worse or fever comes back.

Going to dig in my garden as it’s calming. Hope you have a good weekend! Susan
 
@ Izabel and @clodaghcov yes please do let me know what signs you had of infection coming back! I’m really scared here! The chills were what scared me so badly as it’s literally been the only time in 20+ years that I’ve had them other than when I had the infection ramping up. Scary stuff!
 
Given the health issues you've suffered, it's not surprising it put stress on your relationship. The anxiety, fear, fatigue (mental and physical) involved in an illness, or in being a caregiver long term, or multiple times, can wear the best of us down.

I undestand why you're fearful, but it sounds like you're feeling better already, so let's hope that continues.
Considering the sad news that your bestie recently lost a young daughter to cancer is most likely ramping up your anxiety level in relation to your daughters thyroid cyst/nodule. Now is when you need to be strong and try really hard to believe these situations don't have to be worst case scenario.

I do hope you made it out to your garden today as planned. With any luck you were able to breathe in lots of fresh air under blue skies and sunshine. Hopefully you're feeling more relaxed this evening.
You will remain in my prayers.
A happy Sunday to you!
@Whoknew
 
Oh dear Susan. I just don't know what to say to comfort you. You have so many issues to deal with and even though you are a very strong person sometimes it can break us down and get through our shields. But, we still have to keep our strength up ... and you have support here to help hold you up. Always remember that.

I have only had the flu twice in my life and never had a cold so I can't really comment on chills ... and I moved to a temperate climate country to avoid the cold damp weather. However, I did get the chills from time to time when I was on the antibiotics.

Come visit often if you need a virtual hug or shoulder to cry on. Sending my love. xx


[Bonesmart.org] Sudden pain 2 1/2 years after hip revision
 
@Whoknew I do hope you are feeling better, i know that worry so well!, in fact only a couple of weeks ago my hip ached so much and i ask to have a firther blood test, of course it was perfect and probably just being so busy after the holiday! All these hip problems put an enormous strain on everybody in the family and i think you have to try and let them heal themselves the last thing you need are any major adjustments at this time, hard i knowxx When i had my first infection, i was so well, working but knew i had to have another new hip, when they did the aspiration, i thought i was going to die, obviously an infection was there but somehow not affected me until then, that was the start of problems!! The second time was 7 years later after a perfect time, i just hurt, my hip ached, i tried physio, massage, but never once thought infection, but just got more ill and after they did bloods i was admitted with sepsis! I guess we will always worry but hopefully it will diminish, you have done so well, enjoy life, smile and laugh alot-- i hope to catch you up eventually. Hugsxxx
 
Where was the ache? In the groin area or by incision area? By the time they figured mine out I literally was dying and sooooo don’t want to be there again!!! My partner and the kids were all terrified. Not looking to make any major changes but damn was this a wake up call re priorities.

We’re on a two year “ semi-retirement plan” which means finishing and selling our house and fixing our apartment buildings so they can get top dollar (painting 4 HUGE Victorians/antebellum houses plus two big ones from the 1920’s) not to mention the daily business of running 46 apartments or if not sell yet, run mostly online w local helpers.

It’s a ton to do and last thing I want is to get sick again! As it is if I can quit smoking again it will be three months laid up again recovering from ankle reconstructive surgery. Enough!! Lol
 
Been a bit since I've been on here since we've been going gangbusters with the business. Saw my OS yesterday...bloodwork shows no sign of infection...YAY! The fever/chills must have been some weird bug. Told him that we were getting ready to go pick up a boat in Key West and sail it home to upstate NY (yep, we pulled the trigger and found our live aboard home for when we sell the house) and his comment was that the sailing will aggravate it due to the rocking motion (one of the reasons we bought a catamaran vs. regular monohull sailboat...they sail flatter) as will weather. LOL...like we all don't realize that we've got a built in barometer already?! Asked if was normal to have some pain still and he told me I would always have some degree of pain due to the double surgeries, large amount of scar tissue, etc. but it's something that Tylenol handles well thankfully.
Haven't been able to get to the gym in the past few due to the craziness but was up to pressing 85 lbs, a touch less adductor and abductor machine. Again, YAY! Now to get back on a horse when I get home and I'll be one happy woman. Enjoying working in my garden and doing a ton of jewelry on Etsy (first sale already...woot woot, rude jewelry my specialty lol).
Glad to read so many here are doing so much better! You all have helped me so much through this miserable infection...sometimes was the only thing that gave me hope and solice. Thanks to you all!! Susan
PS...anyone who prays, please pray for a smooth safe passage on the boat! Will be my first time doing an outside (ie ocean) transport and I'm a bit anxious about it.
 
Back
Top Bottom