Guest viewing is limited

THR Struggling with Recovery - THR

Before you stopped the therapy, did you discuss this problem with your therapist. And, if so….what did they say or do?

It’s possible that you have piriformis problems. If that’s the case, a good therapist can help you work on that.

Here’s an article from our BoneSmart LIbrary that will explain. See if this sounds like what you’re experiencing.

Piriformis Syndrome - A Pain in the Butt!
No, I didn't discuss with my therapist. I told my doctor, and they said it is normal that my glutes would be sore for several weeks. Although I get glute pain and soreness on and off, the worst pain is from the area around the hip.
 
If it is piriformis syndrome, it’s not “normal” and it likely won’t resolve on its own. Did you read the article I linked for you? If this sounds like what you’re experiencing, I suggest you go back to your therapist and describe what you’re going through and ask about options to help you. If you don’t feel your current therapist is taking this seriously, then seek out someone who will. The longer the pain goes on, the more difficult it will be to resolve. The article I linked for you have some stretches you can try as well as other suggestions you can do right away, but I do think a good therapist can be of help as well.
 
@Jamie I read the article and I don't think my symptoms fit the description. I'm not having intense pain in my buttock that affects all movements. Both my glutes burn and get sore from time to time but it doesn't affect my movement. I'm not having sciatic pain.

1. a sharp intense pain in the middle of the buttock that affects almost all movements including getting out of bed, rising from a chair, any bending or stretching
2. radiating pain down the sciatic pathways, commonly called sciatica, which travels down the outer side of the leg, often as far as the ankle and foot. This can sometimes be misleading and lead to suspicions of spinal issues.
 
Okay. That’s good. Piriformis pain doesn’t have to go beyond the gluteus muscles, though. But it doesn’t sound like your pain is as intense as it might be with piriformis problems.

I think your best bet is to continue what you’re doing with resting and using either ice or heat. Be sure you are getting up and moving around the house for 5-10 minutes every hour or two to keep your joint mobile. Take something on a schedule for a few days (not just once or twice) when you feel the pain. Extra Strength Tylenol is fine taken in 1000mg dosages. Just be sure not to take more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period.

You are early in the recovery process and you may have just overdone things a bit. If this is the case, then things should improve. If they don’t after a few weeks or should the pain become more intense, check with your surgeon again.
 
I made an appointment with my Orthopedic surgeon for next Tuesday. My pain keeps getting worse, even though I am resting. It is really sore when I put any weight on it. I've been a little more strict with the Tylenol, making sure I take it every 6 hours, even at night, but that hasn't helped. I still need 1 or 2 Oxy in the AM to make it through.
 
I think this is a wise move. The pain should not be getting worse. I hope you have a good discussion about this with your surgeon and he offers some options for you for improvement. Let us know how the meeting goes!
 
Thanks Jamie. If the x-ray looks ok, how to do they check for things like tendinitis or piriformis issues? It seems like I might have Piriformis Syndrome, Bursitis or Gluteal Tendinopathy. Besides, very strong pain around the hip area (my main problem) I have had a little bit of random foot & toe pain recently, moderate glute pain & burning on and off, and a lot of muscle spasms, especially in my glutes. My guess is Bursitis because the worst pain is around my hip area.
 
Last edited:
You could start with your surgeon or physical therapist. These days many therapists are trained to diagnose problems such as these, so that’s your best bet. Surgeons usually focus mainly on the surgery and any problems with the implant, so you want to rule that out first. When you get into soft tissue problems, you’ll find surgeons are not able to do much for you. You could also see someone at a pain management clinic. Your surgeon or GP should be able to put in an order for a therapist (if the old order has lapsed) or pain clinic. Especially if rest and icing are not helping to resolve the pain or if it’s increasing, that’s a sign that you need to have assistance to get things back on track.
 
In addition to @Jamie s suggestions above, once the implant is deemed ok the types of pros to evaluate soft tissue issues include sports medicine physicians and physiatrists (physical medicine physicians).
 
In addition to @Jamie s suggestions above, once the implant is deemed ok the types of pros to evaluate soft tissue issues include sports medicine physicians and physiatrists (physical medicine physicians).
I've also read that Acupuncture can help with soft tissue issues such as Bursitis.
 
That's true. It is an option for you.
 
Hi Jamie,

We'll see what the doctor says but I think you might be right - seems like I might have Piriformis Syndrome which is causing this awful hip pain in the mornings. I'm not sore on my hip pointer(trochanter), so I don't think it is Bursitis or Gluteal Tendinopathy. My glute is really tight and sore on my surgical side. I also get glute spasms on and off.

Regards,

Jeff
 
Yep sounds like piriformis to me.
 
Hi All,

I saw the Orthopedic Surgeon this morning. He said my X-Ray looks great. He also tested me for Bursitis, Gluteal Tendinopathy, Piriformis Syndrome, and said I don't have that. He said the pain is coming because my muscles are so very tight/inflamed from the previous surgery (failed ORIF). He said to get back to the PT, stretching, massage, etc. Also, he recommended that I do the recumbent bike at the PT facility and get loose enough so I can do my recumbent bike at home without it causing pain. He says that is a great way to increase range of motion.

He also prescribed Meloxicam to help with the pain and inflammation.

-Jeff
 
Great update, @jefro. I'm sure you are relieved to get that diagnosis.

Remember that you are still early days in this recovery. I will take time to relieve muscle tightness, but you now have a plan and a prescription!
 
Yes, I am glad I have a plan. I was getting really stressed out recently from not knowing what was wrong and it was making my pain levels and sleep worse.

I did my prescribed stretching and got a light medical massage today. The massage really helped to start loosening up my tight quads and hip flexor.

Regards,

Jeff
 
Hi Jeff,
Yes, it's reassuring to check with the boss :wink: rule things out and receive a diagnosis and plan of action.
I hope your stress has eased and your sleep improves. Thankfully the massage brought you some relief. May it only get better for you.
@Jeffb123
 
Hi Jeff,
Yes, it's reassuring to check with the boss :wink: rule things out and receive a diagnosis and plan of action.
I hope your stress has eased and your sleep improves. Thankfully the massage brought you some relief. May it only get better for you.
@Jeffb123
Thanks Layla. I'm hoping to move forward again, one day at a time.
 
You’ll get there. Your surgeon sounds wonderful. Sometimes it’s tough to find doctors who really understand the soft tissues problems that can impact recovery significantly.
 
Just catching up. Yay for you and for your surgeon! I'm hoping things start to steadily improve now.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom