Guest viewing is limited

TKR Struggling after 8 weeks

able to sleep on my side again?

I’m at three weeks and I’ve slowly been able to get comfortable on my right side (the side that the replacement is on). I leave my bad leg on the bed and rest my good leg on a King size pillow which is long and holds most of my leg. It’s a little harder to sleep on my left side, but I’m noticing as time passes, it’s getting easier. I put the king pillow between my legs. I can’t do it for long, but it gives my back a rest.

I was a serious side sleeper before my surgery. Always had a terrible time on my back. I CAN’T WAIT until I can side sleep again.

Be patient. It will come.
 
For my first tkr I used pillows on the sofa for elevating but in anticipation of having a second tkr after 3 months of my first tkr ( which didn't happen) I invested in a dual control lift chair. For me, it has been wonderful. I often find myself taking a nap in the chair or if bed gets uncomfortable, I'm in the chair at night. I put a pillow under the surgery leg to get it higher -toes above nose and I have been so happy.
I'm now 12 days out and occasionally I take steps on my own without the walker. I do it as a little experiment now snd again, but I'm not yet ready to give up the walker and go to the cane.
I only has 1 TED hose on my non surgery leg in the hospital. I took it off when I got dressed to go home and never wore it again after my 2nd tkr. My first tkr was different - wore them for 6 wks. Everyone is different and each situation is different. You should chat with your physical therapy person snd OS for best direction for you.
Continued healing. Think good positive thoughts.
 
Where do you buy you ted stockings? I received t pair from hospital and they were rolling down and felt like cutting off my blood circulation. I would like to get something different
 
Took me 3 months to comfortably sleep on my side.
 
Where do you buy you ted stockings? I received t pair from hospital and they were rolling down and felt like cutting off my blood circulation. I would like to get something different
Yeah, you don't want them cutting into your leg. You might ask your PT about it. (I didn't use the TEDs after the first couple of weeks because I was up and walking around the house enough. I got the all clear at the appointment to take my staples out.)

The PT might also recommend something like "Tubigrip" for compression. That's what mine had me use--not for anti-blood clot protection but for compression on the swelling. My PT told me what size and I was able to get it at my local pharmacy that carries medical supplies.
 
Yesterday marks my 3 week post op after surgery. I started using cane and Dr. Released me to drive when not taking pain meds. My surgery knee is left which helps with driving. I went to store and used electric scooter and came home. Boy could I tell that it was a little to much. My knee swelled more so I called PT and they contributed the swelling due to using cane. When you use walker you are not using all of weight on leg like when you use a cane. I may just use walker today and rest leg.
 
Trish...I was not required TED stockings. My surgeon said only if I had excessive swelling in the operated leg would I need to wear them. I have a lounge doctor,used it a couple times at the beginning of the night but I am an active sleeper. I find it really difficult to stay in one position too long. I start out in bed but usually end up waking in the a.m. in the recliner in the living room. I ice anytime I am sitting. My pain is OK...I probably endure more than I should. 2 aspirin a day for anti-clotting, Tylenol, IBU combined with Tylenol before physical therapy, and then since I always wake up needing pain relief in the middle of the night, I will take one hydrocodone, 5/325 mgs. I am 16 days post LTKR. You will start to feel better. Don't do too much, my surgeon even told me if you do too much one day, you will definitely feel it the next! Lay low in these early days. Think positive, its a journey! You will fins a lot of support here! Be well!
 
I know you are right, I think I over did it yesterday for sure. I have been icing and elevating all day today
 
Yes your knee will let you know when you overdo. It lets you know it wants ice and elevation.
 
I went to PT today and I can hardly move my leg! I think I am doing to much but when I mention it to the therapist he doesn’t seem to think so. My flex is only 105. Is that good? Anyway I am elevating and icing now!
 
You have overdone. Stop letting PT control what is done to your knee. You control it! The therapist doesn't have to deal with the swelling and the pain. You do. If you read your articles you know that if it hurts during or within 48 hours afterwards, then your knee is not ready for it, so don't do it again for at least a few weeks. At less than 1 month a bend of 105 is outstanding! Don't let anyone tell you it isn't. PT wants you to keep coming to them so they'll get paid. With that bend, you don't need to be doing any exercises to try and increase it. It will come on it's own. Let them work on your walk and give you some easy muscle massages. Or better yet, just quite going! You don't need them!
 
I am still struggling after 4 weeks out of surgery. Everyday my knee is so stiff when I am up walking on it. It still doesn't seem like it is part of my body.

My scar looks great and the healing around it looks good. It is just the feeling of a log hanging down. I am still elevating, icing it and resting as much as possible. I want to get back to normal but that doesn't seem close yet.

I am going to PT 3 x weekly and we all know what happens there. I am thinking about stopping PT and doing home exercises myself. What are your thoughts?

How long will it be before I feel normal again?

Thankfully, I am retired and have a wonderful husband who has gone on and above taking care of me. I couldn't have done this without him. I feel for those folks who come home with no one living with them to be there for help and support!

Last night is the first night of sleeping without elevating and I was able to sleep on side somewhat. I guess I can say that is a plus!

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know where I am now and good luck to all that are going through the same!!
 
@trishb13, you are doing so well! Maybe you can look into another PT. I will tell you that the first outpatient PT place I went to was not good. I thought it was supposed to hurt so I did it. Then iced, iced the next day taking pain meds the whole time, then went back. I'm a little slow. I finally said enough is enough. I found another facility through recommendations from friends that was fantastic. They have a true understanding about knee rehab and helped me so much. Taught me how to strengthen my quads and gave lots of encouragement. Did not cause additional pain. Not everyone on Bonesmart is an advocate of PT but I am if you can find the right place. Before this surgery, I went back to my second place to get set up and look forward to returning there when I begin outpatient PT.

P.S. Sleeping on your side must have been wonderful. I'm not there yet.
 
Everyday my knee is so stiff
Your knee is stiff because it is swollen. Even if the outside swelling doesn't look too bad, the inside of your knee is still swollen and it's very little extra space in there for all that fluid! Elevate with toes above your nose as long as you can. Also, use ice all the time you're sitting or laying down. That helps to reduce inflammation which in turn will help to reduce swelling. I will leave you our recovery articles. Following them will give you a much easier and quicker recovery!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I am going to PT 3 x weekly and we all know what happens there. I am thinking about stopping PT and doing home exercises myself. What are your thoughts?

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you will have a quicker and less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!
 
Would like advice on compression stockings. Any recommendations for where and what kind to purchase?
 
I am going to PT 3 x weekly and we all know what happens there. I am thinking about stopping PT and doing home exercises myself. What are your thoughts?
I'd dance a jig and go :happydance: :yay:

How long will it be before I feel normal again?
Oh who could possibly say? It depends on so many different things
Would like advice on compression stockings
Never liked them myself. I think they are highly over-rated. TEDs Negative Research

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Last night is the first night of sleeping without elevating and I was able to sleep on side somewhat. I guess I can say that is a plus!
Definite progress!
 
I am almost 6 weeks out from knee replacement. I have been going to PT for 6 weeks, 3x weekly. Everyday I get up thinking when will my knee feel like my other knee!

I had Robotic Mako procedure and everyone says it takes a least 3-12 months to get back to normal. I am so emotional and I just feel like I should be better than what I am. I am still icing, elevating and doing just light housekeeping. Thankfully, I am retired so getting back to work is not a problem.

I try not to take narcotics but take Tylenol, 1000mg every 4-6 hours for pain. Yesterday I did get into the pool to do some water therapy and that felt pretty good. I just wished I would be getting better sooner. Everyday I have so much stiffness in my knee that it still hurts to bend it. I use my cane when I go out but around the house I can get around fine.

Please give me some advice or do I need to go back to see surgeon before my next appt. which is mid March. I have called 2 times since my surgery which was Jan. 10th and they just say to ice,elevate and understand it is a serious surgery. Not once have they suggested for me to come in to see OS. I am so discouraged!
 
Back
Top Bottom