TKR Struggling after 8 weeks

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you Josephine, I am really having a hard time resting at night.
 
Hi Trish, I found at home once discharged that elevation at night is important. I was able to sleep with two medium pillows (one on top of the other) to get the elevation. This went on for about 3-4 weeks. During the day I was up and about more but still doing my exercises twice a day as well as walking. Some times I succumbed to a "Nanna Nap" in the afternoons but still used the pillows.
Even at 12 weeks I still sometimes sleep with a pillow between my knees as I've had pain in the knee whilst lying on my side. Standing & walking is fine.
Last week I found out I've got ITB Syndrome on my leg (that has the new knee) and my good hip resulting in the side of my knee being sore. As a side note I've only found out about ITB and had put the pain from it down to my whole knee being sore. As I was bone on bone I had to lock my knee to walk and this has made the ITB tendon (that runs down the outside of you leg) work harder and I may have scar tissue on the side of my knee that won't be able to be fixed!!
Should have had my knee done 10 years ago!
 
Trish, yes, I elevated at night, but it took me a few nights to get the right combo of pillows. Also, the covers were rubbing on the incision and even though it was still bandaged, I ended up making TWO piles -- one for my knee and the other to hold the sheets off my knee. It looked weird, but worked great.
 
i still elevate my legs on a foam wedge (the lounge doctor) in bed for part of the night at 9 months post op. it feels cozy, then after awhile i turn on my side. :flwrysmile:
 
Though I no longer elevate at night, I did so for more than four months. I used a foam wedge. I pretty much elevated my legs all the time for those four months!
 
@trishb13 it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course - like I just did! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
I am 13 days out of surgery of TKR. Just went for my 2 week post op and OS said he wished I would stop using walker. I was thinking it is to soon. What are your thoughts and how long to use use a walking aid?
 
trishb13,
This is the third time I have merged your recovery threads. Please keep all your questions and concerns in your own thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
You will need to use an assistive device as long as you have a limp. If you find walking with out a walker is difficult or you have a limp you will want to continue using the FWW. You can try using a cane to see it that eliminates your limp.
If you walk with a limp, you are developing bad walking habits that may be hard to correct.
 
I don’t understand about recovering threads? Do I keep posting under a reply?
 
Yes, you just post where it says write your reply, like you just did to respond to me.
This is your recovery thread, you will see your posts are highlighted in grey indicating it is your thread.
 
Just went for my post op appt. today and OS said things look quite well! X-rays look good also! He would like to see me not using walker and do heel slides to increase range of motion. These Dr. Amaze me because they don’t feel how much it hurts! I am only going to do what I can and not over do it! Have you had your OS seem to act like this surgery is easy?
 
You are right to only do what you feel comfortable doing. In post #33 I commented about using a walker until you are ready, and have no limp. Your PT is a better source to advise you.
 
Trish, that is not an answer to my questions. You need to answer them in a list, please. Like this

1.

2.

3.

etc.
 
Does anyone that had a TKR used a power lift recliner? I am thinking about renting one for a month. I have a recliner but it is low to the ground and it really hurts when I try to stand up. I think it is low and I don’t have enough height for it to push up with my arms in standing position
I had to stack pillows to be higher in my seats as i had bad pain getting up also. I also got an elevated toilet seat. THAT was the best $40 I ever spent.
 
I was wondering how long will it be before I will be able to sleep on my side again?
 
It varies. Some find that putting a pillow between their knees helps them get back to their side sleeping. I did this, too. I didn't try it until about 4 weeks because I iced and elevated all night to keep my swelling down.
 
Back
Top Bottom