Guest viewing is limited

TKR Struggling after 8 weeks

Hi @trishb13 I’m another January surgery buddy. I understand exactly what you mean when you say that your husband says that you need to exercise to get better. I’ve heard that so many times. I do exercises at home, maybe not what PT , or my husband, would like for me to do, but I am moving. I had my left knee done 6 months before my right one, so I know time makes all the difference in the world. Just take it easy, do a few easy exercises, ice and elevate when you can. Try not to worry. Oh, I have trouble with the app too. I just use the internet on my phone and login to Bonesmart that way.
 
My husband says you need to continue all of this exercise so it will get better.
Has your husband had a TKR? We have, and we know that over exercising is worse for the knee than under exercising. I suggest you stop all the exercises and just do your daily activities. Give it a month and then you will see a big improvement. What you are doing now isn't working, why not try it this different way. If it doesn't work, then go back to the pool and the exercises. A change is definitely work a try! We have been where you are and know what works!
 
Hi @trishb13 I’m close to where you are. I will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Surgery was Jan 16. I quit PT weeks ago and just do ADL and very gentle heel slides and maybe quad sets in bed in the morning or recliner if I remember. I still have a lot of stiffness and swelling. I notice it is worse if I over do shopping or walking. I still walk stiffly and with a limp. Mostly walk without aid but use a cane when I’m out and about.

My point in saying all this is that this is really a waiting game. Waiting for our knee(s) to heal, being patient, and avoiding comparing our recovery with other people’s recovery. Believe me. It takes all the will power I can muster to do all of that.

When people look at us and make comments like the gentleman at the gym, it worries us and we wonder if something is wrong. Self talk like, “ should I be walking better, doing more, have less pain,” go through our minds. We have to remind ourselves, like so many others who have come before us say—recovery is not a sprint, it is a marathon. And our race is at the very beginning of what could be a year long journey. I remind myself of that every day; sometimes every minute of every day.

Hang in there. We will get to the point when our knees will no longer be the focus of our attention.
 
I would scale way back on the exercise. All I was doing at 8 weeks was maybe a short walk each day (10-15 minutes depending on how I was feeling), a few heel slides and/or about 5 minutes on the exercise bike to loosen up and maybe a couple of gentle stretches (I get tight muscles).
I didn't go to the gym for at least 12 weeks--and then for very brief visits no more than twice a week. I found the treadmill is tougher on your new knee than just walking. Being back at work was enough of a workout. :)
 
A treadmill still scares me as the “floor” is always moving. I have not used one in recovery, or in years, actually.

It also makes me wonder if it’s in the same category as a CPM machine. With the CPM machine our leg is just along for the ride, we’re not using our own muscle to move. With a treadmill, we’re just keeping up with the moving surface. I have always thought regular walking where we propel ourselves forward has more benefit.
 
I just got home from PT this morning. I finally asked him when am I going to be released? After all, it has been 8 weeks of PT and I am so done with it. He said I should come back one time a week for the next 2 weeks. I am scheduled to see OS the day after last PT appt. He said my range today was around 120 which to me was very painful to get to. I have read here on Bonesmart of how PT doesn't help with healing and I believe it!
 
Was that 120 flexion on your own power, or with the therapist pushing on your leg to bend the knee (or you pulling on a strap)? You said it was painful to get to, so I’m suspecting the latter.

However you got to it, though it’s better and more meaningful if neither you nor the therapist forced the bend in any way, you have quite good flexion for two months out. So... I’d say you don’t need PT anymore, and certainly not for ROM. You definitely have no need for PT if it involves forcing your knee in any way. You’re right! That kind of PT doesn’t help with healing.

PT is a business, so it is to their benefit if you schedule more appointments. The main question: is it to YOUR benefit? :)
 
I just got home from PT this morning. I finally asked him when am I going to be released? After all, it has been 8 weeks of PT and I am so done with it.
If you feel you're done with PT, just stop going. It's your knee and you are the one who has the right to say what will happen to it.
Of course, your therapist wants you to keep going - it's income for them - but you are the one who has the say-so. It's your decision to make, not theirs.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
 
PT should never hurt you. If it does, then you're setting your recovery back. No pain=more healing!
 
[QUOTE="Jockette, post: 1136118, member: With a treadmill, we’re just keeping up with the moving surface. I have always thought regular walking where we propel ourselves forward has more benefit.[/QUOTE]

Not really @Jockette. The only way to remain on the treadmill is if you do walk thus propelling yourself forward otherwise you would fall off the back as the floor is continuously moving towards the back so you must step forward to remain on the treadmill. If you stand still on there you will get carried towards the back and then fall off the back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom