Guest viewing is limited

TKR Struggling after 8 weeks

I am also 6 weeks post bilateral tkr. You are doing great! It takes a really long time and I find that one day I’m doing pretty good and moving fairly ok but the next day feels like I lost a whole week of progress. I get pt once a week and then have to do the exercises at home. Pt staff says this is so normal and not to get upset over it - everyone heals differently and certainly not on the same time-line. Do you think you might have given up your cane too soon? Giving up support devices is one of the first and biggest mistakes that can be done after tkr. The icing is so important -even at 6 weeks my pt person said every 2 hours as possible really helps. I hope you start feeling better. Do you sleep alright? I hope so.
 
Thank you Ronfole for getting back to me. I am so depressed today and yes I feel just like you said. Some days are good then I get up and feel like what the heck is going on! I guess I am so inpatient. I have been posting in BoneSmart and there are so many stories for sure. I don’t have anything to compare it to because I have had only one knee done. I just guess I am impatient and want to get back to my old self
 
Hi Trish. I am almost where you are, LTKR on Jan. 15. To me it sounds like you are doing great! I do PT 2x a week, I was doing it three times. Now that I have dropped down to twice, I have found my knee feels better. My phys therapy clinic also offers massage and I have gotten a massage on my left leg the last week. I feel it has helped so much! My quads were so very sore after surgery and after exercise they get a little angry. It is so worth the expense. At 6 weeks you are still early healing. This is my second knee to be done, my right one was four years ago. It just takes time. That's the best wisdom I can give you...don't try and rush things. I promise you will get there. Just relax and know that, you will get there!
 
@trishb13 you will notice that I have merged your three threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

Please don't start new threads each time you post. Thank you


I also noticed that you did not complete your registration form when you registered so can you please provide me with your country and state?
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I live in NC Josephine. I did answer questions a while back. The app on my phone doesn’t allow you to reply or maybe I am missing something. Every time I have tried to communicate I have been told that I am not using website correctly. It is difficult for me to post so I am going to leave the site. I am reaching out for advice not to be critized about the way I am posting
 
@trishb13 You are doing great! I still ice and elevate at 4 months especially at night before bedtime. The stiffness will lessen over time. Hang in there!
 
@trishb13, glad you are here. I had my surgery 6 days after yours. Right now we are in the push me, pull me kind of place. That is, we're good one or two days, then worn out the next. Our emotions can go all over the place and for me, that's a pain. I started taking almost daily pictures of my incision and look back on them often. If I can't tell how far I've come, the pictures show me. It's not too late for you to start that.

I had my RTKR last January and went through the same things we are now. It's just what it is. But within a few months, my knee was amazing. I could do things I hadn't been able to in years! It still ached some but so what? I was definitely better. You are going to get there too. Try not to get too discouraged right now. Spring and daylight savings time will be here soon and that will help a lot.

Keep us posted on how things are going. What you are experiencing is completely normal. Just keep taking the Tylenol, elevate your knee and use those ice packs. All three will help you so much.
 
@trishb13, I found it hard at first to keep up with my thread, so I bookmarked it so I could find it. I suggest you try that. Having just one thread keeps all your responses from others in one place and is easier for others to find you.
 
Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year - it's a major surgery that causes a lot of trauma and you can't just bounce back from it quickly. I'm afraid this recovery takes a lot of patience.

At only 6 weeks post-op, you are still in very early recovery. Your knee is still upset and inflamed, and making it do PT 3 times a week is probably too much for it. It needs to heal first, before you stress it with exercise.

In spite of what you have probably been told, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Also, there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

There's no need to go back to your surgeon - the advice you were given is correct. Treat your knee to lots of rest, ice and elevation, and let it heal. Stop doing so much PT, and accept that this is never going to be a quick recovery.

Did you read the articles I left for you in Post #3 and sistersinhim left for you in Post #55? There's lots of information there that you need to take on board. I think that by keeping on starting new threads, you have missed a lot of the wise advice you were given. That's why we like you to keep all your recovery in one thread, so you don't miss anything.



.
 
Celle, I did read the posts that you are referring to for sure.
 
Many people find the phone app more difficult than the web site. If you can use the web site, you might find you like it better.

Early healing is the most frustrating, first because of the pain and swelling, and then because once you start feeling better... your knee isn’t really ready to do the things you want it to do. It still needs to rest a lot right when you’re getting eager to move on and get back to your normal routines. If you can slow down and continue to rest, ice, and elevate for long periods, and to hold back on doing more strenuous exercise for a few more weeks, you will see that your knee will respond by becoming less swollen and more able.
 
I always come to Bonesmart using the internet via my phone and do fine. I’ve never used an app.
 
Trishb,
You are still very early in this year long+ recovery. At 6 weeks you still have at least another 6 weeks before you will start to feel better, and be able to do more with out your knee complaining.
Trying to rush this recovery will only set you back, prolonging your recovery.
Commiserate with your fellow surgery buddies, they will help you through the rough days, and celebrate your victories as they occur.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
Hi @trishb13 how are you doing today? I was reading your previous posts and saw that you had flexion of 105 degrees at 4 weeks post-op; that is excellent.

Just for comparison (although I know we shouldn't compare), at 6 weeks when I started PT for the first time, my flexion was only 76 degrees. It seemed to take forever to get to 90 degrees, then 100 degrees. It took me 7 months and one week to finally rotate the pedals on my city bike and now, at 10 months post op, I can ride it effortlessly with no pain.

The stiffness in my case lasted for several months, especially if sitting too long with my leg down or driving and in and out of the car. I'm now 10 months post op and the stiffness has mostly subsided, along with the pain.

Did you ever rent that recliner you mentioned? I hope it helps to make you more comfortable. I just want you to know and believe things will improve as the weeks go by. If you need pain relief, do as you were doing with the Tylenol and if you feel more confident using a cane or walker, then go right ahead. You can always practise going without devices when you're in a safe place, i.e., in your home. Same with practising going up and down steps.

I don't know anything about wearing "sleeves" for any length of time. I wore one once on a pack walk with my dog and 9 other big dogs in case one of them slammed me. On the car ride home, I practically ripped it off of my leg, it felt so confining and uncomfortable. You can always try one out and see if it helps you as it does others.

In the meantime, continue to rest, ice and elevate and try not to overdo it, especially at PT. You can control what you let them do or what they make you do. Hope things are getting better for you...hang in there...it won't be much longer before you'll feel happy you had the surgery.:flwrysmile:
 
I am 8 weeks out of LTKR. It has been such a struggle for sure. I am wondering when will this get better? I have been going to PT all of the 8 weeks and I don’t think I need to continue to go. My knee is still really stiff and I have been going the days I don’t have PT to my gym and do stationary bike, recumbent bike and a little walking. I had a gentleman ask me today while I was walking was I ok? He said I seemed to be walking in pain! I am so over all of this. My surgery was on January 10th. I went in to see OS post op appt. and haven’t seen him since. I go back March 28th for 2 months follow up. I am thinking about calling and go in sooner if I can. My PT seems to think I am doing great but my leg is not making me feel that way. It will be stiff, and I can’t do so much without it telling me to get off of it. I read where others are healing well but I wish I could say the same. I have asked myself is there something wrong? I still elevate and ice a lot.
 
Hello again, @trishb13

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Trish,

I know it's hard, but please try not to worry so much about the speed of your recovery. We've told you this before.
You had major surgery and it is going to take a long time to recover fully. Remember, this is a year-long journey.

You've worked hard at your recovery and now is the time to ease off all that work and give your knee some time to rest and heal.

Stop going to PT, stop doing all the exercises and just use your knee in your activities of daily living.
It doesn't need additional exercise and you won't lose the gains you have already made.
A bonus if you stop the exercises is that your knee won't get so stiff. That stiffness is a warning that you are using your knee too much.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM and aids recovery anyway - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal.

[Bonesmart.org] Struggling after 8 weeks
Patience, Grasshopper! It really is worth while spending time to allow your knee to heal. It will reward you for this later.
 
That is exactly what I am thinking. My husband says you need to continue all of this exercise so it will get better. I am going to slow down and take it easy and see if I can get better.
 
Exercise made my knee worse. Terribly worse. I don’t do any PT now and no exercises at home. If I do too much, my knee gets stiff. I sit around at home and don’t do much. I’m much happier this way.
 
Back
Top Bottom