Guest viewing is limited

TKR Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Stress Kel, so glad things are looking up for you. Keep taking it slow and easy. Have yourself a great weekend.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Stress
 
I continue to be cautiously optimistic. :spin:I realize this is only 2 days after the MUA but today at PT I got to 98. I was soooo excited I could have jumped out of my skin! :egypdance: I have been trying to be super cautious in what I do here at home but yet super smart. I am doing my exercises religiously and successfully. It is so unlike the last 5 weeks.

I am home to relax and ice now. Happy Friday!
That is wonderful!
Cathy
 
Hi Kel,
How's it going today? Hope your still being good & treating that knee like a baby??!!!!
Snowing here so I've decided to go NO-WHERE rather than risk an unexpected trip :rotfl:
Hope it's proving to be a good Saturday! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi kel, sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work :egypdance:

Take care Fernie
 
Hi all! It's been awhile since I have been here to visit because my recovery has been VERY slow. I am 15 months out and still dealing with pain and swelling. It's actually more painful and uncomfortable then before the TKR!! I have started seeing the chiropractor to help me with the burning sensation I feel throughout my body and my back issues. I have been going there for about a month now and he is quite concerned about my knee pain and the symptoms that he has seen in me in that short time. It's warm to the touch, swollen, and painful. I walk laboriously... I would have thought that I would have developed a pretty good stroll by now. :walking:

Anyway, in our conversation today, the chiropractor mentioned getting a second opinion which I had actually started to think about this past weekend. He was throwing out possible problems and the one that stuck with me the most was a metal allergy or reaction to some part of my replacement. I have experienced so many things since February of 2013 that it almost makes sense.

Anyone have any insight? What in a titanium knee can cause problems? :what:

Thanks.
 
Hi Kelsey, I had my TKR a week after you and a very rough time for a while but at a year out there are times I don't even think about it and I never thought that would EVER happen.

It does sound to me that you should get a second opinion or even a third. You shouldn't be in pain. I feel for you and I hope you het some answers soon that get you on the right road to recovery.

Take care and let us know how it goes. I am sure the angels on this site will have more info than me. Hang in there !!!!
 
Wow Kelsey I had mine 1 day after you and I am biking, walking, doing the eliptical for an hour and that is almost everyday all three of them with no pain at all. It does hurt if I bend it more than it wants and some pain now and then usually when I tweak it somehow. I ended up getting fibromyalgia from the stress of the surgery the doctors think. I would defiantly get a second opinion something is not right there. When you went for your year check up was your doctor concerned at all? Good luck keep us posted.
Cathy
 
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems this far out from your TKR.
seeing the chiropractor to help me with the burning sensation I feel throughout my body and my back issues. I have been going there for about a month now and he is quite concerned about my knee pain and the symptoms that he has seen in me in that short time. It's warm to the touch, swollen, and painful.
You might ask your doctor about complex regional pain syndrome (here is a link), https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/complex-regional-pain-syndrome-crps-or-rsd.21166/
Also have your chiropractor look up Ted Carrick, a neurological chiropractor (Carrick Institute) for information on Brain Based Therapy (just one approach, there are many).

I agree, look for a second opinion from an OS for your knee, a revisionist is best positioned to figure out what is causing your problems.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. You need a second opinion. Sounds like you have an excellent chiropractor who is trying to help. You definitely should not have all that pain and swelling at this point in time. Maybe you could search out a revisionist or tag one of the moderators to help you. Keep us updated!
 
Why don't you give us your city and state? I will tags @Jamie as she is the best at recommendations.
 
Wow Kelsey I had mine 1 day after you and I am biking, walking, doing the eliptical for an hour and that is almost everyday all three of them with no pain at all. It does hurt if I bend it more than it wants and some pain now and then usually when I tweak it somehow. I ended up getting fibromyalgia from the stress of the surgery the doctors think. I would defiantly get a second opinion something is not right there. When you went for your year check up was your doctor concerned at all? Good luck keep us posted.
Cathy

When I last went to see my OS in February (my one year apt) he said the surgery went great and the xray looked great. As far as the swelling and pain, he said some people experience that until about a year and a half. It CAN take longer for different people. Because I had a long time ago diagnosis of Fibro, he said that was the reason why I am having such a difficult time.

I had no reason not to believe him. But it's 3 months later, and I am no better! I am frustrated!

I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks.
 
Wow I got fibromyalgia from having the surgery. I would get another opinion that doesn't sound right at all... Are you any better?
 
@Kelsie Lou, do you by any chance ever drink diet drinks (with ANY artificial sweetener) ESPECIALLY NutraSweet ?


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Hi just picking up on your thread. So sorry to hear you are having pain this far out after surgery. I am certain that would be stressful. I am still dealing with pain issues which have restarted. I had my 6 month check up and felt okay then, but now I am starting to feel more pain in the knee and still icing and using a Lidocaine patch which does help.. I have RA which is a bit out of control now so I am having pain everywhere. The Rheumatologist and pain management doctor are working on the RA pain isue. I hope you are feeling better soon. Hang in there. :loveshwr:
 
@Kelsie Lou ... I'm so sorry, but for some reason I didn't get the tag Kelly made for me. You do need to seek out a second opinion. At this time, I don't have any revision specialists in the Green Bay, Wisconsin area. You're going to need to do some searching.

I suggest you start with the BoneSmart Find A Clinic locator tool (tab at the top of the page). Type in your zip code and how far you're willing to travel and you'll get a list of clinics with links to their web pages. You'll need to go to each web page and take a look at the surgeon bios. Sometimes they are not very detailed, but you'll be looking for doctors who say they do knee revisions or "complex adult reconstruction." Once you get a list of possibilities call the offices and ask how many knee revision surgeries that doctor does a year.

Your best bet for finding a good revision surgeon is to search for doctors at larger hospitals and especially those hospitals connected with universities.

If you do some searching and still can't locate a revision specialist, please let me know (either with a tag in your thread or a private message) and I'll see what I can find.
 
Kelsey, I just used the Clinic Locator myself to see how it works and whether it was easy to use. I was surprised as I worked on it for about 20 min and found two knee specialists and one revisionist on it. They are in Milwaukee, which I know is a drive for you--but it might be worth the drive to have someone look at your knee and tell you what is wrong.

But, it is easy to use the clinic locator and when you click on the different clinics it is fairly easy to see who are the knee specialists and Dr. Michael Anderson showed up as a revisionist. His number is: 414-649-7900. In his clinic, Dr. Joseph Davies is a knee specialist: 414-649-7900 and also Dr. Paul Sienkiewicz is a knee specialist:
414-858-1740.

It is easy to see where the clinics are located and choose one that is an acceptable distance from you. Then you look at the individual docs and see if one mentions that he does revisions.
 
Thanks, Kelly!!! You're right....the locator is easy to use. It's exactly how I do my research when someone needs help.
 
I went to see another OS and he ordered a bone scan of my prosthetic knee and an MRI of the other. He dterermined that my left natural knee is not yet completely bone on bone and he'd like to try injections to buy some time before it needs surgery. And my right replaced knee has not fused. He doesn't not perform KRs so he referred me to his associate who is well versed in revisions. He considers him to be our local expert on young revisions. I will see him on Wednesday. I am extremely nervous but I don't know what options I have. My TKR is loose, I can feel the movement. :( As I understand it, if I choose not to do the revision it could begin to heal/fuse in this wrong position. This will further affect my already bad back and further hurt the opposite knee and hips.

It was good to find out that it wasn't all in my head or perceived. My pain and discomfort are justified.

On Wednesday, we'll decide what to do about it.
 
I am so sorry you have had to go through this. It seems, though, that you are on the right track. The revision specialist should be able to help you choose the best option. Hugs to you-
============•_•============


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom