Guest viewing is limited

TKR Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that I got a Cold Compression Therapy machine on Thursday. I haven't yet noticed it making a difference. My knee still feels very swollen and stiff... I am open minded to what it can do for me.

Anyone else have any experience with these?
 
Congratulations on your new knee!
Is the cold therapy machine the kind that circulates ice water around the knee? I borrowed one from a friend for my post-op period and that plus my frozen 'peas' were a godsend.
Really for the first 10 weeks I did a LOT of 'laying around' icing and elevating.
You are still so early in the recovery period, so don't fret yet about swelling and rom. Some days there is great progress and other days you feel like you are regressing. Just be patient. It won't all be healed at 8 weeks or 12 weeks or even 30 weeks, it takes a very long time. My OS said the knee could continue to swell for a year post-op.
I am coming up to a year now and even with a glitch that I experienced I still am so glad I had it done, and I feel terrific. You will too!
 
I did have the ice machine that circulated cold water but this one is different, it does circulate cold water but it also has a compressor and pumps air into the sleeve as well. This one insurance does not cover, I am renting it for a few weeks.
 
Hi Kel, found you! :happydance: Sounds like you have been having quite a journey. I hope things are getting easier for you and each day is a day nearer to that pain free knee,
Keep your chin up, sending a big basket of warm hugs your way,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :egypdance:
 
Hi Kel. on reading your posts I can see you are not having the best of times. As well as dealing with your TKR you are having family issues too. Believe me I know how hard it can be coping as a step-parent. I was married with 3 kids when I married my husband. My 3 boys put him thru the hoops when we first got married and sometimes we just felt like giving up. Its hard and I couldnt imagine going thru it when I just had a major op. So you are doing really well you have my admiration. Just try and concentrate on you for the moment its your time and I hope you husband realises that. Keep on healing. Best wishes and take care.
 
Super duper tired today! Sleep has been eluding me for days!. I absolutely cannot get comfortable due to pain, meds, restlessness, and an overactive mind. I am supposed to take a ride with my mom and brother today. I have been looking forward to getting out of the house and being normal. It's a good thing I get the back seat to myself. :) At least I get to stretch.

Well, I'm up to shower. Can't wait to go see my niece. <3 Wish me luck.

Have a great Tuesday!
 
I hope it turns out to be a great outing Kel & you have a good visit with your niece! Keep that leg UP on the back seat if you can manage to! Hopefully your feel much brighter for a day out :flwrysmile:
 
:ok: Thanks Jaki! I am hoping Mom has a comfy backseat!! :beg:

Sun's a shinin and so am I!! :SUNsmile:
 
Oh my... it was WONDERFUL getting out of the house today. It was a long car ride but I am home. The first thing I did was hit the couch to ice and elevate. :) Now to rest.
 
My PT was too aggressive and caused my knee to swell. I actually started loosing flexion around 4 wks and ended up having an MUA. Now he never brought me to tears just very uncomfortable but it was still too much for my knee. I changed PT after my MUA and she never came close to bending it as much as he did and I am doing so much better. I also learned early on that I was not elevating high enough. Once I started doing that a lot of my swelling subsided.
 
60mom if I am looking at your dates correctly, were you at about 5 weeks when you had the MUA done? And it was it successful for you?
 
I am having a pity party...

soooooo discouraged that my recovery is taking so long!!! :-/ I want to be able to walk without crutches! I want to be able to bend my leg. I want to walk to the mailbox... normally and drive to the store! :boohoo: I want to be a success story!! :gaah:
 
Super duper tired today! Sleep has been eluding me for days!. I absolutely cannot get comfortable due to pain, meds, restlessness,

Oh, my!!! Can I empathize with you!! I was there, too---sleep eluded me and I actually began to dread night time, as I could not get comfortable! It was, I have to say, the most frustrating part of recovery; I could not get a good night's sleep. I wandered around the house and slept in the guest bed, the sofa, the futon, and I would finally throw the futon mattress on the floor and crash there.

I watched all kinds of late night TV---Law and Order---too many episodes to document.

I finally gave in and took up my OS's offer for a prescription of Ambien---ten nights later, I was sleeping great.

Please understand that this is all normal, and it will subside---I know that it is tremendously frustrating, but nap when you can and understand that you will get over this hurdle, too!
 
Kelsie-

You are only 4wks out..holy moly....prepare for 3 more months of pity parties, I'd lay in as many balloons as you can find, streamers, lots of cake and a couple cases of wine! :mcoffee: It's going to take you a few more weeks before you feel anywhere near normal. It will happen, but it will take time. We all empathize with you, we've all been there. No sleep, drugs that make us whacky and if we're lucky give us some relief but the long haul to "normality" is something most of us are not prepared for when we arrive home. The recovery is tough, the surgery is the easy part. Don't give up, take advantage of the good info in the library and read other peoples threads. It really does help and will give you the encouragement you need on those days when you feel things will never get better. They do, and they will......but it's gonna take some time....
 
Oh I can so relate to you and all of your thoughts and feelings! Although, my pt was great! I was always a bit sore after but I told them when I walked in the door, " if you hurt me, I am not coming back"!
My OS told me that from his experience younger patients seem to have a bit more trouble with this surgery. I thought it was the worst thing ever..BUT, I am doing well now and you will too..don't get caught up in the numbers...do your exercises at home, ice, elevate and rest and you will be fine! I didn't believe anyone at first. I kept thinking..omg ..this is awful, I am never going to b normal, but it is happening and it will with you too. Try like heck to stay positive! Yes I laid and bed and cried some nights and wondered why the heck I ever did this...it is a journey and being patient a huge factor! There were days i literally thought i was going crazy! Good luck and keep smiling...it will happen! 3 months ago tomorrow for me and this is the first day that I have taken only one pain pill .(tonight) ..and I rarely have to ice at all anymore...and..I teach kindergarten :)
 
{@60mom if I am looking at your dates correctly, were you at about 5 weeks when you had the MUA done? And it was it successful for you? }

Kelsie Lou, I was 5 1/2 wks. a bit early but I had insurance that was running out. He did say he broke up a lot of adhesions (I do have a problem forming them in the past) and I do think it helped my flexion. I got to 122 right after, went back a bit but am at 120 now. On the down side I have had a lot of pain since and I don't think that is very typical. It is getting better but it was worse then post surgery. I just wonder if I hadn't had PT if I would have needed it. I will never know!
 
Kelsie it sounds like you are doing good. Please take care of yourself first! It is hard but it is what you need to do.

i have been a step-parent twice in my life ....it is a very tough job. Please make sure you set some boundaries with your husband as you need time to heal and recover from this very traumatic surgery. I many years ago married a much older man with many kids when I was much younger and I did everything for them as he had to travel for his job and their biological mom was too busy. In fact, he did not even come home from a job when I had our son. So I came home alone with my new baby and his kids after a c-section and nearly worked myself to death. Thank goodness I am no longer with this lout and married a much nicer man years later.

Point of my sad story is that people usually think of their needs first so you need to make yourself your own priority. If he wants to take them have him hire a nanny or take another family member to watch them. You my dear need to rest and take care of yourself!!!
 
Hi all,

I went to see my OS on Friday and he has recommended a MUA next week. I have read a lot of different things on BS and the internet about when (and if) this procedure should be done. I will be 5 weeks post-op and realize this is early in the recovery process. I have had difficulties along the way with managing the pain and ROM. I have learned from all of you the best ways to deal with pain and swelling… Ice, elevate and rest. I have also learned not to compare myself to others and do what’s right for me (well, I’m still working on that!!!). :angel:

I have suffered with fibromyalgia for the last 10 years or so. The doctors have never been aggressive in the treatment however. I have just dealt with pain along the way. It’s become a way of life. I have scoliosis, degenerative disk disease, arthritis, and knee problems. I have been taking narcotics for many years to treat the pain. I believe I have built up a tolerance to the meds that I am taking.

Post knee surgery, my progress has been very slow. I have been going to PT twice a week. My treatment was very aggressive at first until they acknowledged my limitations. A week and half ago, my ROM was at 70 degrees. This past Thursday it was measured at 58 degrees. This was disappointing to all of us. So not only have I struggled with bending my knee, but my progress has gone backwards. :what:

At Friday’s visit with the OS, we decided we needed to be more proactive in my overall treatment. Doc suggested that I meet with a rheumatologist to get the fibro under control, schedule a MUA, and have a femoral nerve catheter put in the week after the MUA to help control the pain. He believes the fibro has slowed my progress.

There have been many stressful things going in my life as well as an active, crazy household. I have always put everything and everyone else first. I am making a conscious effort to put me first.

*Sorry for starting a new thread. I am hoping to get thoughts and opinions regarding having the MUA done at this stage of recovery. Thanks.*
 
Kelsie I had my surgery a week later and for some reason my ROM is not increasing much. I hover at 65 and 70. I do everything I can and have PT 3 times a week. I push myself to its painful and then I stop. My PT thinks I need to push harder but I am really trying. I might be a slow healer. It was just a few days ago that I have been able to lift this leg up and down from my bed and couch on its own. So don't feel bad as you are not the only one.

I believe I read on here that Josephine does not recommend this until at least 12 weeks but I could be wrong.

I have decided that I am going to keep trying and not contemplate a MUA until 12 weeks as I am slowly but surely progressing in other ways and getting stronger

Hang in there! I am sure other members will have advice for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom