Guest viewing is limited

Strengthening tips for thr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ann
I know il get their in the end I'm determined to be on top for my holiday next feb
I'm still getting loads of foot/ankle pain in both feet argh what a pain il be glad hen it goes
I've tried the exercise with the iced water it's nice when my feet are hot
How are you has your knee and ankle pain got any better
 
Morning Angie, pleased to hear the iced bottle is helping a bit. It's great that you are still staying positive, having something to aim for...your holiday is a good motivation, where are you going?

I'm feeling better today thanks, last night I didn't have as much knee pain which is brilliant. The ankle is slowly improving too, I found not putting my feet up on the recliner during the day helps, it's when my feet are elevated that the ankle plays up so trying to remember not to do that too much. I'm doing my exercises on a morning and throughout the day I do a few when I remember.

Hope you have a good day, the sun is popping it s head out here, hope it is out for you too today

Take care

Ann
Xxx
 
Hi Ann we had the sun the sun then rain only a light shower we all need this lovely sunshine
We are going to Florida all being well that was always the plan to go next feb we thought we had timed theop out right to go next year I just need to start fighting a bit I think
It's strange what you said about elevating and your ankle pain mines the same I thought it was because its on a small stool ad it was too hard
Hope you are having a lovely weekend
 
Oo Florida, how lovely. Have you been before? I found the climate really helped with my aches and pains and at least the parks have plenty of resting places so even if you are not A-ok you will be able to rest up plenty but I'm sure by next year you will have come on leaps and bounds :)

It is weird about the ankle pain after elevation isn't it. We are advised to elevate our foot if we have pain but doing so, in our case exacerbates the problem,it's very confusing sometimes this recovery stuff!

Hope you are feeling good today

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Morning Ann we went to Florida last march (2011) and I fell in lo e with the place had next to no pain only a few problems with my foot the heat was lovely
We promised kids we'd go next feb but as I've said I didn't expect to be so slow on recovery at least when I see this gp next week I know she will tell me what I need to do and who I need to go to
Its strange but my hip feels so much stronger in the past few weeks and I will be so glad to get off the crutch even in the house I don't even mind if I've got to take it to Florida mind might not come back this time
Hope you are well
 
Hi Angie, hows it going? It's great that your hip is feeling stronger, that's good news. You could take a folding walking stick with you to Florida, would be easier than the crutch. I find the crutch so cumbersome, especially whilst shopping, you either need to lean it against something or dangle it over your arm if picking up stuff. Often, I will lean it against the wall to inspect something then walk away and forget it a then me or hubby have to race ( well, I didn't 'race') back for it.lol. I never want to come home when in the states either, it is just sooooo lovely isn't it, do you get a villa?

How are the new shoes doing, are you managing to wear them okay now, oh, what day is your Doctors appt. iI'm looking forward to hearing what she/he has to say and advise. Hope it goes well.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hi Angie

Sounds like you have a great goal to aim for. - Florida next February.... Something to work towards.

Good luck with the GP, let us know how you go.
 
Hi Ann and smja hoe you are both well my doctors app is next Friday 20th I can't wait to be honest was at hydro on Tuesday and pt has said hip is ok it's all other problems holding my recovery
Also said he has never had a thr patient take as long or be as slow to recover from this op even someone a lot older I had to laugh to myself cos she obviously hasn't been on this forum but it also made me feel a bit well I'm not sure maybe it's all in my head! She also couldn't believe how hard my knee/calf were I know it's hydro but maybe she could have took a bit more notice of what I was saying anyway gave me no help or advice with ankle pain which is now constantly waking me up and the itching argh is a nightmare
Florida I can't wait it's what's making me fight at the minute we stayed in a hotel last time and prob will this time to be honest I know a lot of people stay in villas but I got told Kissimmee is where they all are??? Probably wrong mind
I know what you mean bout the crutches they are a pain specially if the fall
I'm not wearing my new shoes at minute my feet and ankles are swollen still quite a bit I keep trying them to see if my feets gone down
On a really good note I'm managing to walk in the kitchen without a crutch/cane bit more of a waddle but oh it feels brill hurts my knee and foot like crazy mind

How's your knee/ankles Ann are they any better is it next Tuesday you go back to pt
 
I've had problems with my right foot for a couple of years and for all the pain in my bad foot is worse than in the foot of my operated leg it's a similar pain
My gp said its very complex (which I've been told the same for 3 years) but ive never had problems prior to thr in my calf or foot of my operated leg

Hi Angie,

I have been pondering this since your wrote it and wish that I had some semblance of an idea about what could be going on!!! I see that you are going to be following up on it with a specialist -- bring your notepad, hopefully you can get a lot more information and recommendations.

I think a trip to Florida sounds great!!! We went a few years ago in November, before Thanksgiving, and that was a very good time as the crowds were non-existant for the most part at all the parks. It's such a cheerful place to be :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi c mac I hope floridas quieter when we go I can't stand for long so big queues are really hard
As for my problems well I'm not sure now what's going to happen I've just had a phone call telling me that the doctor I was meant to be seeing next Friday won't see me as in her opinion she can't help me!!! So I'm confused as to what I'm meant to do about the possible vascular problem and my foot/ankle problem which today has floored me cannot walk much or stand
I have to make the decision as to whether I go back to my os but what is the point it's not meant o be my hip but problems developing after my op
I feel so let down and really now don't know who to turn o if it is vascular and it's left will something happen? Finally thought I was moving forward hippies
Advice if poss please
 
Oh Angie, I am truly sorry to hear this, how upsetting you. I know how you feel when feel you don't know who to turn to next. How about seeing your GP again as she was so sympathetic towards your issues when you last seen her, or giving your OS's secretary a ring and ask for a call back from either him or a specialised nurse( don't know if your hospital has these but our Musculo Skelatal dept does) i would definitely be making another appt with your GP about the possible vascular problem.

This is the problem when issues arising from surgery but not directly involving the hip become frustrating. Who the heck are we supposed to turn to in these situations? Nobody bothers to tell us that. Sorry, I am getting so angry on your behalf now, it's just infuriating. I hope you manage to speak to someone soon about this, someone who can give you some help in getting these thngs addressed.

Take care and try to keep your chin up pet, I know it's hard.

Ann
Xxx
 
What -- she's not going to see you?!?!? I don't understand how she can determine that she cannot help you with OUT seeing you first... Can you call back to her office and inquire as to whom she thinks would be able to help you??? Yes, I agree with Ann about also contacting your GP for a different referral.

Hopefully you are moving forward with just a brief pause.... :console2: Sorry the leg is feeling so uncomfortable today too.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Ann and c mac I'm getting re reffered to the foot specialist again (I waited 4 month to see him the last time) but in the meantime I'm going to my podiatrist to see if he can help
I can't believe it to be honest I thought your gp was meant to help all I got was a call from my doctors secretary again saying that both doctors agree they can't do anything more I am going to ring the homeward team on monday to discuss the problems in my leg (really too annoyed to o it today) and request to be seen mainly over the possible vascular problem
Ann you are so right I never ever got told about possible problems with knee and ankles after a thr I feel I walked in blind but I also went to a meeting before my op and they were never mentioned
My pt said hips ok but why won't somebody take responsibility for the problems arising due to having the op I know a lot on here are having knee and ankle pain and I'm not alone which helps a bit
Get over this horrible day and try and start to fight
Have a lovely weekend and thanks for being such caring people x
 
Hi Angie,

Is either your GP or the specialist that cancelled on you able to tell you exactly what the "vascular" issue is called so that you can do some research and better understand what they are saying is the problem while you wait to see the foot doc and podiatrist?

I, too, have had problems (knee and back) since my THR surgery and had not been prepped for this possibility ahead of time and not had much information proffered from the OS about the problems afterwards either. My OS also focuses on the hip and the implant -- it's just where their focus is, by design of their specialization. For people like you, me and Ann -- and hundreds of congenital hippies before & along with us, the Perthes or Dysplasia condition that we were born with and lived half our lives with makes the THR surgery a bit more complex to recover from and adjust to. We have soft tissues (tendons, ligaments and muscles) that have a tremendous adaptation that must occur after we get the new hip. The alignment of our entire side is changed -- completely, and even thought it may be only by inches or centimeters that is enough to cause pain and disruption in various places. Our other joints are trying to compensate and adapt -- our low back joints, knee joints, ankle joints, feet are all adjusting to these tiny changes that have come about with the new hip.

The OS doesn't talk much about this to us ahead of time, maybe it's because he cannot predict who will have a difficult time with this adjustment and who will not -- he just doesn't know. It is frustrating, but one of the things that I try to console myself with is that when I see the OS he says the appliance is fine -- everything is healing nicely and in it's proper place. Next, over time, I've had to try to find other professionals that can help me with the soft tissue adaptation. These may be professionals like physiotherapists, massage therapists and acupuncturists. Of course, as you mention, having access to similar stories here on the forum is helpful in allowing you to see that you are not the only one with these post-surgical experiences.

I don't know if any of this helps you at all and I hope you don't have a horrible day because of those docs. You are only 4 months out from a surgery that has changed and impacted your entire body and now you need to try to give yourself plenty more time for healing and adapting to occur. Hopefully during this time you'll get further reassurance from some medical & para-professionals in dealing with your knee and ankle as well.

Take care, :friends:
Cardie
 
Hi c mac thanks for your lovely words and wisdom the vascular issue I have no idea what she thought it could be my leg from the knee down is swollen,rock hard and painful,knee swollen and both feet think its fluid. Doc said my calf/leg should not be as hard but seeing as I haven't heard again she mustn't think it warrants me seeing a vascular surgeon
I know we all suffer varies problems after thr and I imagine tkr but I think for me I'd been told " have your hip op and e ery thing else will be ok " I know one day it will and I really wish my gp/pt etc would listen and discuss with me things like people do on this forum as it feels you people are the only ones that do listen me
I am going to try and get whatever help I can for my foot/ankle pain and try to forget about the mention of the "vascular" problem I think that's what's knocking back I'm also due to go to pain clinic in sept so il be arranging back injections again
Really appreciate your words c mac
 
Hi Angie....
I want to also encourage you to do water exercise... find a good pool and walk in the water, it's incredibly helpful and will help you rebuild your muscles fast. I had my first water exercise two days ago and it was fantastic. As I stepped into the water, and found myself walking in the pool, without the crutches and without pain (the water is so buoyant that it really supports your body), I suddenly felt a surge of joy rush through me and thought 'this is what is possible' and 'one day I will walk like this again!'. One word of caution though - pace yourself. The feeling of lightness in the water is so fantastic that it's easy to overdo it, because you won't feel much, if any pain. So easy and regularly does it.
As far as I'm concerned, hydro is the way to go, especially if you struggle with other muscular-skeletar challenges.
Best of luck to you!!
Desiree
 
Water certainly is one of the best post surgery therapies.

Good for you Desiree, so pleased you enjoyed it, but also that due to lack of gravity it is important to not overdo it

How did you find it getting out of the pool, when the gravity hit ? Desiree;
 
Just reading a little article in a newspaper I picked up at the library --- it's an article about Varicose veins.

"When symptomatic, varicose veins may cause ankle and leg swelling, heaviness or tension, aching, restlessness, cramps, itching, and skin discoloration. After a long time some people develop skin ulcers, which can become infected."

Maybe this is what your GP & that specialist think you are dealing with??? Just a thought -- read it and you came to mind so I thought I'd write to you...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Desiree thanks for replying I go in the hydro pool and do agree it feels brilliant to walk unaided I only do a couple of exercises now and just enjoy the walking
You are so right about overdoing it you don't realise how much you are doing
Poppet oh you are so right the first time I had hydro I didn't think I was going to get up the steps my legs felt like concrete blocks such a strange feeling going from feeling so free in the pool to that heaviness but it also goes so quick
I'm so looking forward to dumping my crutch outside the pool. Now
 
Morning Angie. I hope you had a good weekend :) How are you doing today? Are you going to be making some enquiries to see if you can get referred to someone...anyone?

It's good you are enjoyng the hydro, hopefully you will see results from that soon, fingers crossed

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom