Guest viewing is limited

Strengthening tips for thr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Angie, great to hear you have managed a walk around ' The Toon' :biggrin: I'm so happy that you are feeling much better and that things are improving.

Keep up the walking and the positivity

Well done you:thumb:

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Angie, so sorry you are getting mixed messages. It is enough to go through the surgery and try to recover, but to then have to be confused about what you are supposed to be doing is not right. If you have questions about your restrictions, you should ask your surgeon. Your physio should be working from that point, not their own.

Like Sandy said, try not to compare yourself. We are all different, have different starting weaknesses, and different healing rates. Even if you feel your physio has been holding you back, just start from here and move forward, which it sounds like you already have, with your walks with your hubby. You go girl :) hope you get things sorted out for yourself soon, Cathy
 
Hi cathy I see we had our op on the same day something else in commen aswell as thr I've got a different pt now who des hydro and hip class she lovely and really good I've now started to go up the stairs without my crutch thanks to pt daren't attempt downstairs yet I've realised we are ll different thanks to this forum I think some days you look and think why arnt I doing this and that but I also know my neck and shoulder problems are slowing my recovery cathy but I know I need to be grateful after realising a lot don't get pt thanks cathy il keep fighting ack just like all the lovely people on this forum
 
Hi Angie......... have not been on the forum for long myself and trying to read all the posts! So have just read your story......

You are about four weeks ahead of me......... I not only have osteoarthritis, I also have PMR ( Polymyalgia Rheumatica) so like you had awful problems using the walker and crutches...... no-one had any answers for me re the difficulty I had so I just determined to get off them asap!

Apart from doing 7 lying down exercises and 7 standing exercises three times a day for the first 12 weeks, my private physio gave me some extra ones to support the muscles in my operated hip area as I was walking with a very strange gait when I came off crutches and it was a mix of the post operative damage to the muscles and my PMR....... she had me walking upright and without the rolling gait within a week...... but it was hard work and I persevered with it all...

During this time I was out and about having lunch and coffee with friends and even managed my first trip to the hairdressers in week seven!! That was wonderful and made me feel normal for the first time in over a year:biggrin:

Since then I have begun to go into town for a mooch about the shops, stopping for a coffee if I got tired or my muscles in HR side started to complain...... so I would encourage you to get out and about.

I was late in getting back into the car ..... took me eight weeks before I felt safe if I had to do an emergency stop! But have not looked back. Only drive locally at the moment but am planning to do a 45 min drive to my daughters when we get back from holiday the week after next. I will be in week 12 of my recovery then.

I have also been building up my walking on a daily basis and am now up to three miles!!!!:yay: But I was a walker prior to needing a hip replacement and tried to keep fairly fit in the year I could not walk without awful pain..... started swimming instead.....

Wishing you well in your recovery:friends:
 
Hi poppyfields you are doing wonderful I think you have done really well I started driving at 8 weeks but only short journeys too but walking I still can't walk to the end of my road but it's mainly because of the neck and shoulder hurting so much I've had 3 pts the 2nd one done nothing I think his held me back a lot he wouldn't even let me stop hip precautions my ew pt lifted them straight away last week ready some threads I feel a little let down and think I should have been a little further on than what I am it's. Crazy the fact that I could walk further prior to my op but il keep trying I will get to the end of my road you will do that drive to yours daughters poppyfields after a lovely holiday good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time
 
Thank you Angie and I do wish you well in your on going recovery too...... stay determined and focussed and you will get there:friends: Hope to read you are managing to walk a little further when I get back:thumb:
 
Hi poppyfields I've been and had a walk in the town today and had a coffee must say it felt fantastic may have overdone it a bit but it's worth it I'm really proud of myself shows what peoples encouragement on ere can do
 
Hi Angie, so pleased to hear you enjoyed your trip to town today. How did the shoe hunting go?
 
Hi Angie...... that is fantastic.... well done!!!!!! Just the first step in many to follow:dancy: Keep on with the attitude and you will get there.... I am delighted to read this:yay:
 
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me? I'm now 3 months post op. I'm getting a lot of pain from my neck, shoulder and down my arm (suffered nerve pain on right side for 4yr) which is getting aggravated by using crutch or cane.

.
Hi Angie
I sure can understand where you are coming from. Have you tried hiking poles? I use these as I cannot use the cane anymore it just causes havoc with my neck and shoulders. I find that the poles are much more stable than a cane . I cannot imagine crutches as my shoulders would have fallen off if I had to use them. :groan: We were supplied with a 2 wheel walker (for a period of 3 months after surgery) and then to a 4 wheeler. I went to the 4 wheeler after about 3 weeks POP. Hang in there, we are all in this together and alot of us are in the Slow Healers Club and darn proud of it, too.

Take care :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Ann I've found a nice pair of shoes in clarks a slip on with an elastic strap but insole is air sole(but didn't have my size so I'm ordering online) they look comfy fingers crossed have you been shoe shopping yet
Oh poppyfields it was great but il admit it floored me for the rest of the day but that feeling of doing something that I used to do was fab onwards and upwards hopefully
Hi mad rocker the neck and shoulder pains awful isn't it I keep asking for a bit of treatment but they say my hips the priority but the hiking poles sound good I've read threads and noticed that a lot of people use them but could you tell me 1) would I get the same support as the crutch. I can stand but can't walk still without support and 2) can you use them indoors sorry to ask but I don't know anything about the poles thank you I'm glad we ave a slow healers club
 
Ooo that's fab that you have managed to find some new shoes, shame they were out of stock though. Hope they arrive soon and that they feel GREAT. Yes I have bought shoes, two pairs of slip on pumpy type....only cheapies from primark just to see how I got on with them, ended up sore the next day..doh!!! So leaving them for a bit. Also bought flip flops which are very comfortable, unfortunately not worn as much as I would have liked due to the weather.

I am going to give the poles a go but not just yet, I still feel weird if I walk more than about 50 metres without my crutch and think the poles won't offer enough support at the mo.

Ann.x.
 
Hi Ann i love flat pumps even though I know their prob not the best for mr but I think now after all us hippies go through we deserve a little bit of naughty for a little bit anyway I've never tried flip flops but my daughter loves them I was reading on your threads about having a bit of a wedge on the heel that sounds a good idea won't it be great to be able to throw them crutches once and for all itl come for us onwards and upwards we go
We need some lovely hot sunshine Ann I don't like going far if it's rained/raining think you feel so much better in the sun
 
Yeah it will be wonderful to ditch the crutches Angie. I'm the same as you, the rain puts me off going out but I did on Saturday as I hadnt had a walk that day and it was quite okay actually, i was well wrapped up though, it was lashing down.

Just popped on to mention the ankle pain we were talking about. Thinking about it, I have been waking up with it every morning for a couple of weeks now so I decided it might be my sleeping positions so last night I put a pillow at the bottom of the bed and rested my feet on it, it felt quite lovely actually. Woke up this morning on my back.....as I always do....my feet were still on the pillow and although a little cranky, after a few minutes if exercising them they felt great. When I got up woohoo, no pain and now I've been up a couple of hours still not pain, not in ankle or heel or tendon. I am so over the moon, it's just fantastic not having it there. So just thought I would tell you so you could give it a whirl, hope it helps

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Ann il try that tonight and see if it helps it must be disturbing me during the night because I woke up early this morning with my leg hanging over the edge of the bed don't think that's doing my hip any good so hopefully itl work for me too I wonder if it's due to our legs being stretched during our op that causes our ankle pain itl be nice to wake up to no pain il let you know tomorrow
 
Well I took Ann's advice and used a pillow under my feet while in bed must say it helped I had a bit of pain when I got up but went after 5/6 steps and never woke up once but I had again put my foot off the bed not really sure why I've started doing it but it was still o nice to have a nights sleep
Thanks ann
 
I'm so happy to hear the pillow helped Angie, it's such a joy when we find something that can ease our pain. It is a bit weird you sticking your leg out of the bed...have you perhaps just been too hot...blimey, Imagine if that is your new sleeping position.lol

How about switching sleeping sides with hubby then you can't pop your operated leg out...or are you concerned he might bash your hip accidently during the night. I was scared of that happening and me and hubby swapped sides post op. haven't moved back yet as it felt so strange sleeping on the other side and I woke up sore the one time I tried it.

Hope it keeps improving...have you got your new shoes yet?

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Ann my new shoes have come today avnt tried them yet
I'm not sure if I could swap sides with my hubby I've always slept on the same side and to be honest I think e would worry more about hitting my hip than me I think I am getting too hot my feet and ankles really itch if they get too hot so maybe it's just doing it automatic
How are you feeling ,much better I hope
 
Hi Angie, interesting you mentioned about feet and ankles itching when you get hot. I have experienced this for the past 7 months since surgery. I know heat drys the skin out, but I have a feeling the drugs are still finding their way out of the cells...

Get hubby to put some skin lotion on at night, it helps heaps :)

I also put my leg straight out of bed... Interesting, the positions we get in...

I haven't read through your thread for a little while Angie, but how is your mobility going?
 
Hi smja I get him to rub some e45 itching cream in but to be honest no matter how gentle he is the pain knocks me a bit yucky spoke to doc last week he said it was fluid due to lack of mobility with the op
My mobility is a bit better than it was still haven't walked to the end of the road but I am constantly walking around the house and out the back I'm trying to do a bit more day to day
It is strange how we put our legs out of bed isn't it mind I'm glad I'm not the only one curiously I wonder why we do it
Hope you are keeping well
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom