Strengthening tips for thr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squats:yikes: I am only a month behind you and would not even dream of doing them!!!! Think you are amazing for even attempting them Angie!!!
 
I'm not doing them any more poppyfields my knee is still really sore and my rom a lot less than it was
I'm so thankful I went ack and checked all the info Josephine put on my thread I never thought I could hurt myself doing the squats just a pity cos I enjoyed them
 
Hi smja I really don't want to sound selfish or ungrateful especially after so many hasn't had pt offered but I really don't feel as though I have had much help with my 3 different pt's I ask for help/advice but don't get further forward I've found more help and advice on this site my last pt is a bit better but I think she's pushing me too hard and none of them will take my other problems into account
I'm pushing myself with the walking after advice on this forum and yesterday walked the most since prior to my op and felt fine a little sore today but it's worth it
I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm ungrateful because I don't mean to be its just I've now seen 3 pts over the past 8 weeks and I've been took off one crutch. And given a few more exercises I've not had my rom checked for 5 weeks not sure if that's normal but I think it's worse
I think I've been led to believe that the exercises was more important than the walking but I don't think that's the case
Once again hippies I'm sorry not ungrateful just fed up
 
Oh Angie, don't for one minute think anyone would think you are ungrateful, we have come to learn through BS that there are PT's that are brutal in their exercise regimes then there are the nice ones who have the more gentle approach. It's just pot luck which ones we get to see. It's not your fault that the PT is not really working for you, our recoveries are so different, some are so poles apart that it is difficult to comprehend how one person is flying along in their recovery then others are going at a snails pace. I have learnt so much on here, I will be eternally grateful that I had the forum guys to turn to in my times of uncertainity and worry. You ARE getting better, it's just taking some time but you will get there in the end. Well done on the walking but please try not to push yourself too hard.

I too am slightly concerned about my ROM but I was amazed when I managed the exercise bike the other day, I am getting better just not as quick as I would like or expected. I just have to remind myself that I had a timeframe of a year for full recovery and I am not even half way there yet.

Thanks for popping over to my thread :) I am going to see what The PT says about my knee but I think this is another result of surgery that many others have experienced so I am not going to worry about it yet.

Stay strong and take care

Ann.x.
 
Hi Ann thanks for yor lovely comment I do wish I'd found this site prior to my op simply because off the information you learn it's so much more than what I was told at appointments I went to which was meant to help prepare me for the op and after
I do feel let down with the pts and am trying to decide whether to stick it out or pay private luckily the pt who designed the hip exercises regime post op is based at my gp's surgery il be interested to see what happens with you Ann please let us know my pt has never looked at my knee I think after my hydro is finished il make the decision to go private at be interesting to get another opinion
Good luck for your pt ann
 
Thanks Angie, I will report back tomorrow. I am gonna be a proper whingebag and mention all my issues, they will probs be glad to get rid of me once I'm finished hehe.
 
Morning everyone just wondered if anyone knows whether it's more effective doing the thr exercises stood up or laid down its just I've seen the same exercises in both standing and saying I just want to do the ones with the upmost effect
It's tie for me to start and fight my way to a brill recovery for my holiday
Thanks hippies
 
Morning Angie, I think it's necessary to do both as the standing up ones and lying down ones help in different ways. For instance...I could do the standing side abductors quite quickly..albeit not too easily at first but could not manage the same lying down for weeks on end. I still do both now as routine.

Hope you manage okay with the exercises, try not to push yourself too much.

Ann.x.
 
Thanks Ann I've made an app to see doctor today with my feet and knee because my pt won't do anything so I'm hoping I get something sorted out I've had 3 hydro app and no change in the exercises to be honest I've gone through the threads you and Josephine has put on for me and I haven't been told to do half of them but the ankle pump exercise I knew nothing about them till I joined this forum so I never started them till end of may I think the fact I've had 3 different pts have confused my exercise regime simply cos the 2nd one only gave me 1 extra one in 4 weeks I'm starting to get really annoyed over my pt sessions in my hip class I get told to do things and have to keep saying I haven't done that or I haven't been shown that
This forum gives more info than all the pts have with me really annoying!
 
Good idea to see your GP Angie. The thing is, if you haven't tried some of the exercises then at first it is going to be difficult for you and you will think you will never be able to do it but give it a week or so and you will be amazed at how much easier it gets and how much better you are doing. It's just such a shame that you could have been further forward by now if only given the correct advice but here's hoping you come on leaps and bounds now you have an idea of what to do to build up your muscles.

Hope your GP refers you for PT and the appt comes soon but in the meantime keep trying the suggested exercise but take it easy.

Let us know how you get on today.

Ann.x.
 
Well I've seen my GP who's surprised at my pt and really annoyed at the hospital for not arranging to see me last week but she's really concerned over how hard my calf is and the fluid and discolouration in my feet and thinks the problem might be vascular. I've been booked in to see another GP who I've dealt with for years but only deals with musculo-skeletal problems to see what her opinion is.

My GP did say that she will not hesitate to write to my consultant demanding he sees me if they think the problems are coming from the hip,she also commented on my lack of mobility too so maybe they might sort pt out for me.

Has anyone else still had the fluid/ discolouration problems 17 weeks post op? I'm a little concerned now over this.
 
Oh Angie, I'm really sorry to hear your GP thinks you may have vascular problems....as if you haven't got enough on your plate already :friends: i will tag Jo to see if she has any thoughts on this Josephine:

It's good to hear that your GP is taking all your concerns very seriously, it seems like she will get things moving in the right direction for you.
It's Musculoskeletal the word you were looking for, that's what the department I go to at the Freemans about my hip.i hope the doctor there can put you on the right track and sort out all your problems.

Big hugs

Ann
Xxx
 
Well, having read all your symptoms (on this page) and checked that you are 16 weeks post-op, my guess would have been that it's little or nothing to do with your hip. Hips generally have a way of sorting themselves out and really don't need a lot of physio. In fact, very few hippies in the UK get any physio whatsoever anyway.

Let us know what comes up.
 
Thanks Ann I really like the gp I saw today as she doesn't mess about with things I know once I see the other gp you are right on the word I can never remember it I know if anything needs to be done it will it's nnoying the fact that I've been mentioning the problems to pts and no ones bothered
I've got to wait till the 20th but itl fly round and I've started oe of them exercises you put on Ann just gently but it's a little bit more
Thanks ann
 
Hi jo thanks for taking the time to go through my posts il be relieved that any problems aren't to do with the hip I think my gp is concerned that the knee and foot problems started after my op so the hip maybe part of the problem
Fingers crossed it will all resolve by it self
Orry to hear you've been unwell
Take care
 
I won't go out if it's raining but last week did hydro and hip class on Thursday my hip area was sore so I took it easy but still done my exercises and wlker as much as I old in the house on Friday I started with severe pain in my knee and on the side of my leg which I couldn't get the pain under control I iced it and put biofreezw on but the pain still knocked me sick it settled over the weekend but not fully and my knee felt twisted,on tuesday I went to hydro where my pt did very gentle exercises with me but asked me to see my consultant to check my hip mainly for peace of mindi rang the hospital and spoke to the nurse who done my post op check she told me at first I'd overdone it and then said I wasn't oing enough I needed to walk more outside and work through the pain quite the opposite off wht the pt says but looking through the exercises jo put on my thread I think I've hurt it doing the squats I love doing them but reading the info do think that's what's hurt my knee I'm not sure how long it takes to settle but it's over a week now and still not right I've got to give it a few weeks and if the problems still their I can go to the hospital what level of pain do you stop at the more I try to do I just seem to cause problems for myself thanks again

Hi Angie,

So, I am just going back to this post which I think was this past Friday -- about 1 week ago. Is the pain in your lower leg or upper leg? Could it be broken link removed: https://www.rice.edu/~jenky/images/itband.2.anat.gif related? Does the swelling that you describe in your legs/feet go away when you rest with your feet up for a while, or over night when you are sleeping? I'm sorry that you are having these troubles and hope that between us BoneSmarties and your physio/med. team we can figure out what might be going on.

Nothing new and wild with your shoes, right? No super flip flops like Anniepops; :heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi cardie thanks for your reply the pains mainly on the inside of my ankle my leg from the knee down at the bavk(calf) is rock hard and always has been the swelling goes down slightly during the night but I'm constantly waking up with my leg (sometimes both) of the bed and bad pain in my ankles my gp said this is a sign of vascular problems I tried yesterday to elevate my legs and pump my ankles but the pain in both legs (top to bottom) was so bad I could hardly walk and the swelling in my feet was very bad I struggled to put my shoes on I pushed myself to go outside (while I was on the phone to my hubby just to be on safe side) which helped a bit with the pain and swelling
Its annoying because I've mentioned these problems to pt for the last few weeks but all they did was check the pulses in my feet never looked at my knee or calf
I've had problems with my right foot for a couple of years and for all the pain in my bad foot is worse than in the foot of my operated leg it's a similar pain
My gp said its very complex (which I've been told the same for 3 years) but ive never had problems prior to thr in my calf or foot of my operated leg
You know something I go to bed each night with the same thought 'maybe when I get up tomorrow il be tons better'
I can't wit to come on here and say I feel great it will happen I just hope it's very soon
Take care and again thanks for taking the time to reply to me
 
Angie, I too can't wait for you to come on here and say you feel great. Hopefully, with the new dctor you have been referred to that might just happen one day soon. Fingers crossed eh :)

How was today for you, ave you tried the botte of ice for your foot yet?

X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom