Strengthening tips for thr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone yesterday was my 2nd hydro session and last night same as ast week after my hydro I couldn't sleep ast week wasn't too bad went to sleep just after12.30 am but last night was awful the last time I looked at the clock was 3.45 I only ended up with around 2 1/2 hours don't know if it's just coincidence or what prior to my op I had some nights were it took a while to sleep but was put down to hot flushes etc
Today I had my 2nd hip class too wasn't feeling fab as I was tired but thought it would do me good as I enjoyed the last one but then an older gentleman also a thr patient asked how far I was when I explained 15 weeks today oh my god "you are ouble my post op ,you need to put you leg out more,why can't you,do you walk far why not etc etc so as you can imagine I came out feeling hopeless asking myself if I'm not doing enough if I'm being lazy, but I do as much as I can and I'm not lazy so why can't people keep their ignorant opinions to themselves and after all that he went on to tell me I should really go and get it checked with n x ray! Don't know when he qualified as an os
Hippies how do you deal with ignorant people like that cos his just pushed my confidence down hill again
Sorry for the whinge but I know you lovely people won't mind
 
Of course we won't mind!!! We've all come across some know-it-all lout with no credentials at all to be spouting this stuff. The best course of action is to smile sweetly and get the heck out of his space! Please pay no attention to his drivel.....
 
I'm sorry you had to deal with such an ignorant, rude person. You are right where you are supposed to be in recovery and he has no right to act otherwise. :hissy:

I hope you feel more supported here because the whole Bonesmart family is pulling for you! We understand that you're doing great.
 
Angie,this week I have had two local people show a look of shock surprise when they ask when I had my THR and I say 16 weeks ago, they then ask why I am still using a crutch. I just tell them that not all hip replacement surgeries are cut and dried, which as we know they are not. Just remember you are more well informed than they are. You are making progress and that's all that matters not anyone elses opinion. You will get there in the end.x.

Ann
 
Angie,

People do not understand what you have been through but they also can be so rude. I recently had an acquaintance say "what do you mean you are still healing?!" And along the way a lot of us have had to deal with this sort of thing. Some days I deal with it better than others. Thank goodness we have BS where everyone understands and can respond with kindness and caring. It has made me more aware of others in public and what they may be going through. Hang in there.
 
Hi everyone I know you're right but what I find most annoying is he had also hac a hip op you expect it off people who haven't been through what we have obviously he breezed through his op and recovery but on the up side I also spoke to a lady a lot older than me who told me she had had a revision and her first hip she got told would last 10/12 years and it lasted 22 years that really gave me some hope for mine to hopefully last the same if not more
I would never dream to give an opinion compared to how I am to someone else I've read so many threads on here and my only thought as been gosh how wonderful to be so well on recovery and for the slow healers like me I know what you are going through,I also know some people are having a worse time than me and I feel so much for them
Just goes to show what caring good people we are on this site and at the end of the day we are the ones that matter not the ignorant rude people who give rude hurtful comments
 
Hi hippies just wondered if someone could answer a couple of questions for me. Does walking around the house a lot count towards your 15/30 minute walk or does it have to be constant outside and also do you think you stop when you get pain or as I've been told work through it and push yourself it's just that I thought pain was a signal to stop or slow down what do you hippies think
Thanks
 
Hi Angie, any activity "counts" toward whatever goal you set but please don't push yourself! I do not agree with working through any pain. Pain is a sign your body gives you that you have gone too far. Stop, rest, ice if you need to and start again another day.

Recovery is all about finding your limits, accepting them for now and trying again later. Soon there will be less and less limits and more mobility.
 
Hi Angie,
Pain is a sign to stop and rest. I tried to work through the pain as suggested and have found that the next few days aren't so great. I have been increasing my walks slowly using a step counter. My walk is usually broke up into three walks a day, morning, after lunch and dinner. I found it easier to do more without pain this way. If possible I do try to get outside for the walk as the sun does make me feel better. :SUNsmile:
Pat
 
Hi jacey and pat thanks for replying the reason I ask is I constantly walk round the house and out the back doing short walks weather permitting il admit I won't go out if it's raining but last week did hydro and hip class on Thursday my hip area was sore so I took it easy but still done my exercises and wlker as much as I old in the house on Friday I started with severe pain in my knee and on the side of my leg which I couldn't get the pain under control I iced it and put biofreezw on but the pain still knocked me sick it settled over the weekend but not fully and my knee felt twisted,on tuesday I went to hydro where my pt did very gentle exercises with me but asked me to see my consultant to check my hip mainly fr peace of mindi rang the hospital and spoke to the nurse who done my post op check she told me at first I'd overdone it and then said I wasn't oing enough I needed to walk more outside and work through the pain quite the opposite off wht the pt says but looking through the exercises jo put on my thread I think I've hurt it doing the squats I love doing them but reading the info do think that's what's hurt my knee I'm not sure how long it takes to settle but it's over a week now and still not right I've got to give it a few weeks and if the problems still their I can go to the hospital what level of pain do you stop at the more I try to do I just seem to cause problems for myself thanks again
 
Hi Angie, my advice is if it hurts honey....

Stop...

You are not meant to push through the pain..

Squats at 3+ months.. I have only just attempted them at 7+ months... I would recommend you slow down and let everything settle.. But if concerned do seek medical advice.
 
Hi smja hope you are well thanks I agree I always thought when it hurts stop! But not according to this nurse but I think il listen to me and people who's been in my situation
I'm not going to do anymore squats at least not for a while I do think I may have overdone it with them hurting my knee in the process
One day at a time I think
 
Hi Angie, sorry to hear things are a bit rough at the mo. I agree with our wise woman Sandy, you shouldn't be continuing if it hurts so bad. As the time goes by during recovery I think we come to recognise whether the pain is muscular i.e there because we are awakening those tired muscles or whether it is due to our replacements. I havejust managed to do the exercise bike yesterday and I was pretty knackered, my thighs were shaking but I knew it was just because I am basically unfit :) And not because I was doing any damage to my hip.

We need to listen to our bodies and just stop when it gets too painful. So you are dead right....listen to yourself and not that nurse.

BTW how are the new shoes....

Take it easy

Ann
 
I count my walking round the house as exercise Angie, after all, we are using our muscles and if doing some housework this involves bending and stretching so that is good exercise too I think......well, tbat's my excuse fir not doing as much walking as perhaps I should.......I blame the weather :loll:
 
Hi Ann how are you hope you are doing ok my shoes are ok bit of a struggle to get on without help but seem to be ok just hate wearing new shoes
I agree Ann I'm following the advice on here and listening to my own body last Friday really worried me as the pain was knocking me sick but I really done loads of squats Tuesday and Wednesday mind the pt let me alo she had me stepping up a step with both feet for 10 mins or more which il admit hurt a lot and I ignored the pain but oh no never again I get pain il stop
Congratulation on the bike Ann it sounds as though you done really well so keep up the good work
Strange what you said about housework etc because that's what I think I'm constantly doing jobs in the house up nd down stairs so I think we do do a lot of exercise the weathers against us at the minute I've early even blew over in the wind so I ont think its worth going out
Roll on summer that's what I say
 
Haha Angie, 'roll on summer' THIS is it I think.lol. We have been so unlucky this year with the awful weather. I'm feeling okay thanks. Got PT on Tuesday, that should be interesting. I'm pleased the shoes feel okay, I know what you mean about getting them on though, that's why I am loving my flip flops at the mo, no asking for help to put them on. I can manage to tie laces now but by doing it my old way, sitting on couch and flipping operated leg to the side resting it on the couch and struggle to reach, it is awkward but I can do it if necessary.

Sometimes I cannot believe how aggressive PT's can be, it's like tbey haven't got a clue how painful their exercises can be. I am prepared for Tuesday, will be stopping immediately if I feel it is being detrimental to my recovery, I have heard far too many horror stories on here now to know that I should not let them push me too far.

Be careful in that wind Angie

Ann
 
Great I'm so glad you've finally got your pt it's about time don't overdo it Ann I think I've defo overdone exercises and I'm still suffering a week later you've come so far you don't want knocking back that's how I've felt this last week
I'm taking the advice from all you lovely hippies today and previous I think people know best whos been through it
I can't get down to my feet mind I haven't for years ha ha il give it a try the way you do it I think see if I can manage that should be fun
 
Hi Angie

I think you need to have a stern word to this PT of yours... I would be asking her, where is your 'duty of care' when you keep pushing me ways past my pain barriers... I am sure my OS would not be happy to know that I am being pushed to the point of pain...

Just don't do it hon... it makes me quite cross when I see how some PT's have the attitude of 'no pain, no gain'....

Tell her her you think you are capable of exercise wise and ask that she works out a progressive slow improvement program from that point... Goodness me... She is not training you for the Olympics - take car and big hugs xx
 
Hi smja Im not going to push myself again to that limit and will be telling her in future when the pain hits I stop I think sometimes because you only have limited sessions with pts they try and push a little bit but to be honest I'd rather pay for some extra pt than be pushed over my limit
I've been doing what everyone's suggested in my threads ie) smaller Walks a couple of times a day mind I got caught in a downpour pretty funny trying to get back in before it got heavy
Also stopped the squats and the pains slightly better In my knee fingers crossed that's what the problem was
Take care have a fab weekend
 
Good for you Angie... You know here in OZ we don't get PT post the hospital and my OS said ... Just walk, that is the main function if hips.. so let's go walking :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom