BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Strange New World

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Denny39, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Denny39

Denny39 senior

United States United States
    Hi @ApricotPie. At 4 weeks you are probably still struggling with several things. The first 4 weeks of my second one was was quite scary. Having already been through the process once, I thought I knew pretty well what to expect. But the first 4 weeks were VERY different from the first time. I actually became sufficiently concerned to call my surgeon and ask what the heck is going on here anyway??? But he asked me a few questions, and said it sounded pretty normal to him. At about 5 weeks, things began to improve rather rapidly. Now, just under 9 weeks, I am walking without a cane most of the time, and going up and stairs normally (using the handrail) most of the time. I’m still very much aware that I have grumpy and cantankerous knee down there, but it is getting better, as you say, very slowly. There’s that annoying patience thing again.

I can’t say that my second one was either better or worse; just different. What I can say though is that neither of them was any fun whatsoever, and I am really glad I only have 2 legs. But I have no reason doubt that 6 months from now I will be walking MUCH better than I was just a few months ago, when my future was either TKR and TKR, or learn to drive a wheelchair. Now, I’m very glad I took the route I did, and I am confident that you will be as well. So hang in there, this will soon take its rightful place in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Enjoying ready your recoveries from TKR @Denny39
    I’ve had two THR’s & booked in for first TKR on 14th October.

This THR recovery has been fab...(5 months post op) but hampered now by bone on bone knee... Your accounts of recovery are very helpful so I know what to expect... slow & steady recovery with lots of patience thrown in.. I guess!!
    Love the ‘grumpy & cantankerous knee’ ... that’s how mine is now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Denny39

Denny39 senior

United States United States
    @Hoppy Nanny, no guessing required; LOTS of patience required. But it’s eventually well worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Didot

Didot member

Australia Australia
    @Denny39 How are you going with the second one? I seem to have lost touch with your more recent posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019