Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Every Day you should drink half of water in the US it would be ounces. So for me, say I weighed 260, I would need 130 ounces of water a day. If I exercise heavily, I need to add more. Than is a little over a gallon which is 128 ounces.
In the UK;
1 ounce [US, liquid] = 0.00018070186299366266 barrel [UK]

Hope this helps!
:)

Let's not worry about gallons, as UK and US gallons are quite significantly different.

My arithmetic goes like this:

So for each 2lb you weigh, 0.0520 pints (US fluid ozs to pints conversion)

for each stone you weigh, .0364 of a pint.

divide your weight in pounds by 40, that's the number of pints you should drink

So, divide your weight in stone by 3, that's the number of pints you should drink.

260lb = 18 stone, equates to 6 pints. 12 stone = 4 pints, etc.

1kg = 2.2lb, for each kg then drink about 0.055 pints, so divide your weight in kg by 20, that's the number of pints you should drink

a pint is about half a litre divide your weight in kg by 40, that's the number of litres you should drink

Executive summary

lb/40 = pints
stone/3 = pints
kg/20 = pints
kg/40 = litres

(to divide by 20 quickly, divide by 10 then halve the number, to divide by 40 then halve it again. e.g. 260 --> 26 --> 13 --> 6.5)

The above numbers are rough approximations to make the calculation easy :).

Sonja, what is the basis for this amount of water being required?
 
That all sounds complicated!

Just drink when you feel thirsty and drink extra if you're exercising, or it's a hot day.

Even if your thirst mechanism lags a little behind, it is not seriously so and you won't get dehydrated.
 
That all sounds complicated!
Not if you just take in the summary:

lb/40 = pints
stone/3 = pints
kg/20 = pints
kg/40 = litres
Just drink when you feel thirsty and drink extra if you're exercising, or it's a hot day.
The popular wisdom is that it's a bit late if you're exercising and start to get thirsty.
 
Roy, wow complicated indeed! I. Like 260 pounds. =130 ounces.

Everyday, active or not we lose water through excretion of waste or pee. Then just walking or doing activities around the house causes more water loss. Factor in exercise and if you don't replenish your body your electrolytes are imbalanced. I find that when I am eating, and consuming a gallon a day, my body works so much more efficiently. It is a big trend here, especially w the heat to drink lots of water.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have GREAT news to report! I was doing an upper body workout yesterday and my body "yelled" stop! Instead of ignoring it like I usually do, I put the weights down, and stopped the workout. :wowspring:My heart stayed in sinus rhythm, so I am learning! See, you can "teach an old dog news tricks!" :rotfl::happydance::giggle:
 
Thanks!

Today I drove to Mom's to visit with my Mom and my Sister who is here from the Houston area. We did a lot of walking, and I didn't suffer in the 100 degree heat!

My knee has been acting strange lately. Every once in a while it tries to buckle on me. My revision knee is the type that won't dislocate unless I happen to do the trick of 180 degrees turn so my foot is backwards again.

Of course then I wouldn't know if I was coming or going! @Josephine do you have any idea why this might happen?
 
Roy, wow complicated indeed! I. Like 260 pounds. =130 ounces.
Is it? Maybe it's an American thing, I have absolutely no idea how much an oz of water actually is, although I get pints and litres, so I had to do the sums. So,

lb/2 = ounces
lb/40 = pints
stone/3 = pints
kg/20 = pints
kg/40 = litres

(very roughly)
 
OK, we now know who the math wizards are here! Thank you. @Roy Gardiner ... to complicate it just a tad, I think in terms of how many cups of water I need a day. In the US, 1 cup = 8 oz; 2 cups to a pint (16 oz). Yes, we need lots of water and are evaporating it constantly; I aim for the old saw of 8 cups a day, but average 4-6, plus a few other liquids.

@RestAssured - good grief girl! Glad to hear you are listening to yourself ... finally! Take care!
 
Sonja, being unfamiliar with the knee you have, I have no idea what's going on. Sorry
 
Sonja,
Advise you call Dr Maale and let him know what is happening with your knee giving way. He designed this knee and will want to know. Could also be weak or out of balance leg muscles (some muscles stronger, some weaker).
 
I had to chuckle with the amount of water ...... if I drank all that water I'd just have to stay in the bathroom! :heehee:
What I do to get enough in is everytime I use the bathroom, I drink 8 oz. of water. With as often as I go, it doesn't take long to hit my necessary 64 oz. which is what I always hear.
Amberpep ... i.e. Barb :happyfeet:
 
Rest Assured .... after reading your posts about your heart, please DO take care of yourself .... this is nothing to fool with. Make yourself the #1 priority right now. I'll be praying for you.
amberpep ... i.e. Barb:bath::elevate::sleep::prayer:
 
Sonja, @RestAssured
All this talk of extra water has made me think:
Have you asked your cardiologist about taking on extra fluids? When my husband had atrial fibrillation with some associated heart failure, he had to restrict his fluid intake.

If your heart is struggling, it's easy to overload on the fluids and then you get edema.
If you've checked, that's fine, but I just thought i'd sound a small note of caution. :friends:
 
Thanks @Celle

Yes, they ran every test they could think of, and explained that I was dehydrated! I told them I try to get in at least a gallon a day, because of the amount of exercise I do, but was shocked when they said you must be exercising a lot because of the amount of fluid we had to replace.

He isn't very concerned about the heart; he explained that he felt it is the stress I am going through, and to try to find a way to lessen the load.
 
That's great, Sonja!
You know me - always the cautious one!
 
Celle, I think of you as a very caring friend when you ask questions! [emoji2]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom