Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

I am making it official! I will not be walking in the Houston marathon in January! The wear and tear on m my body has taken a toll, and I am putting on the brakes! I am deferring until 2016, just in case we decide to try it then.
 
@RestAssured it's a brave decision to make but you've had a couple of setbacks recently and it'd probably wise. I'm hoping to try a 5 km walk in less than an hour by about the end of March but it will be a movable thing. Depends how the rehab goes. Lots of luck with your continuing recovery.
 
I am making it official! I will not be walking in the Houston marathon in January! The wear and tear on m my body has taken a toll, and I am putting on the brakes! I am deferring until 2016, just in case we decide to try it then.

Well done, Sonja! @RestAssured
You tried (girl, how you tried!). Your body gave you a message. You listened to your body. That was the right thing to do.

While I'm sure you must be disappointed, you made the right decision for your body.

HUGS!!!
 
Oh yes I tried! I wanted to do this so badly, but this training is tearing my body apart! Abby became the voice of reason today and even though she did not make the final decision, she brought her concerns to the table. I think I was the only one who was still vaguely holding on by this point to hope, and that was because Stubborn, Impulsive Sonja would not give in! When I finally moved her out of the way, I could think clearly and realized that I have a lot of living left to do! I want to be happy, healthy and whole!:happydance:
 
Wise decision, your body needs more time to heal.
Sometimes being a winner means having making difficult decisions that are in our best interest.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
 
Thanks @Celle and @Pumpkln,

The funny part is Abby came over to the elliptical yesterday morning, listed a EVERY concern she had, Kim had, and discussed it the whole 10 minutes I was warming up on the ellipitical! She made PERFECT sense, but then after all of her reasoning, she said "I am not going to stop you though!":heehee: If you REALLY want to proceed we will. I just want you to think about the fact that you are hurting and cannot walk 9 miles today. After what the Chiropractor told you, and what we see, yes, you would have IT band issues, sciatic issues, foot issues, and it would be very difficult. So before you spend money on airline tickets, please think about it!

Abby cares so much about me! She is one in a million as a trainer and I trust her judgment. No, she didn't make the final decision, but she knocked Stubborn, Impulsive Sonja out of the way to let me think clearly! Abby is truly more than a trainer. She is a person who cares about my physical mental. And emotional well being. Another words, a great friend!

Oh by the way, she found out she is pregnant! I am so happy for her and Lane!:happydance:
 
@RestAssured
We certainly want you enjoying life in 1 piece :) You made a good decision, don't
Ever 2nd guess yourself.
Merry Christmas to you & your Family,
Love,
Diana :tree:
 
Congrats to Kim, for being and expectant Mother, and knocking some sense into Stubborn Sonja!
 
Kim would be shocked if she was pregnant! Abby is pregnant though! I know, I talk about both of them all the time! :heehee:

The day that Abby said she was pregnant, 4 others announced they were at Mission Fitness! John the GM told me not to drink the water!:heehee:
 
Same thing is happening at work. I am careful to take bottled water. Poor Kim, maybe?????


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Well, no, because Kim's not married yet; and her Daddy would kill her!:rotfl: I have thought about gulping some of that water down though. I really wish at times that I had children.:shrug:

By the way, Abby had already noticed what I couldn't see until I saw the body scan! My hip pushes outward, my knee inward, and my foot has to act like a boat counterbalance so it sticks out to the side! I look like someone was playing the game Jenga and that the tiles are about to topple. My knee has gotten weak due to all of the pounding on the pavement it has taken, so we are back to strength training again!:dubious:
 
@trailspud,

Don't worry! Abby and I are working hard 5 days a week except for this week 2 and next week 2. I will be doing Piloxing next week, as well as Chair Fit also! That class is a killer!:heehee: You would think with the word chair in if, it would be easy! No, not in this instructor's vocabulary! She pushes us to the limit of our abilities!:happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well my knee was cranky today!:groan:

I went to core class to strengthen my stomach and obliques, and everything went great until we pulled our knees to our chest, and then started bicycling in the air. I felt a "catch" in my right knee and pain, so I dropped my legs to the ground.

I finished the class and then I went and got on the stair climbing machine to work out the kinks. I think something gets stuck in the knee when I bend it and push it out.

Oh well, that's the only complaint I have so I guess I am still feeling pretty darned good!:happydance:
 
No matter how hard I tried, no matter how much I exercised, I still had my right foot swinging out to the side!:flabber: I stayed positive, worked harder, put orthotics in my shoes to the cost of 500.00 and thought, "OK". This is what I needed.

Then Stephanie, an Orthopedic massage therapist entered my world my accident! I already had a massage therapist so wasn't going to book w Stephanie. Well, mine was booked for the week, so I thought "what the heck," being shy like I am.

I always get deep tissue, but Stephanie asked me if I had any specific areas I needed work on. I said, "yes" my neck; because I have a herniated disc. We got started and she found scar tissue in both knees, and said, your hip, knee and foot are out of alignment. She went to work on massaging the scar tissue away in the left knee. It felt amazing to feel it release at the back. Then she moved to the right knee and said, "no wonder your foot turns out, the scar tissue in your right knee is binding your ability to move the knee in a smooth fashion!" Bingo! I have had issues when I fold my knees to my chest and try to bring them straight out!

After just 2 sessions w Stephanie, I have been able to walk with my foot in an almost normal position. She said it might take 2 more sessions to get the leg in line, but it is getting there!:happydance:

I had a couple of varicose veins that she massaged out, and when she asked me how my neck was yesterday, " I had forgotten all about it!" It had been so painful, but after the first massage, the pain was gone!:yes!:

So, my opinion about deep tissue massage has changed. If you are more than a year out, find someone who is specializing in Orthopedic massage or Neurological massage if you find things aren't working for you. I would not go the route of an MUA on my knee, simply because I have been through enough surgery.

For some people, MUA's are the way to go. Just giving another option that is working for me! I do not have arthofibrosis though, so I don't know if this type of massage would work for it or not.

As for the Orthothotics, they will be going back to the company. Straightening out my gait is causing the orthothotics to hurt my body.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom