TKR Staying Positive

Today I’m a member of the ODIC after shoveling snow yesterday
Uh oh :sad: So sorry, Oldped.
ODIC is no fun. You know the remedy though and throwing in a cat or two for good measure should do the trick. Soon you'll be GOLDEN! :thumb:
 
I love your sense of humor!

In the middle of summer, I iced and froze. I have a heated throw that I totally recommend! One would help to keep you warm during that awful windchill.
 
Windchill here this AM -25! Why Am I on the couch with ice on my knee, I could just stick my leg outside
I struggle to even imagine that level of cold. I hate it here in London in the Winter and it rarely goes more than a couple of degrees below zero.
 
I have both a heated throw, a heating pad, a heated mattress pad, and 2 kitty heaters (they’re nonelectric, run on cat treats)
2 kitty heaters (they’re nonelectric, run on cat treats) :heehee:

You have quite the set-up, lucky lady. Stay snug as a bug in a rug. :wink:
 
I think just about everyone hits the ODIC at least once. Pretty sure I joined at least twice :heehee: I'm a slow learner. I too am bundled up like an Eskimo with 3 dogs helping keep me warm. We have sunshine at least but today is the last day of relatively nice temps - around freezing. DH made all preparations so we don't have to leave the house till at least Wednesday when it should hit 40 degrees! :SUNsmile:

I cannot seem to stay warm while icing even with afghans, dogs, and a heating pad. My leg clear down to my toes is cold. I can't wait for DH to get home and we can have our afternoon coffee.

Stay bundled up and hope we all survive this polar vortex coming our way!
 
@westiemom, Wisconsin is starting to feel the polar vortex, it’s headed your way. You need a heated throw, it really keeps me warm when I’m icing. I am in th ODIC again, shoveled several sets of steps, plus paths to our birdfeeders. Hubble filled our feeders and put out more suet. Our low on Monday night predicted to be -23! I am stiff today , not too sore. Taking the day off from PT, just doing stuff around the house. Maybe think my bend is a little better but maybe I’m overly optimistic.
 
If you think your bend is a little better, then I bet it is! Stay warm and wrapped up in the heated throw. I can't Imagine -23! I freeze when it's 23!
 
@Oldped

We are at 21 degrees today - time to go out and sunbathe! :ice: Have no idea what the windchill is. It got down to 1 degree last night without the windchill factored in. I haven't been outside since last Thursday and have no desire to go outside. Staying warm here on the couch with the dogs and blankets and afghans while running my ice machine.
I stood up for quite a while making soup in the crock pot for dinner tonite. And to whoever said this feels like Groundhog day - no kidding. I'm not sure why I thought I'd be further along at almost 10 weeks in, but I'm still walking like a zombie and trying to not shuffle versus actually walking. DH is pleased with my progress; I just thought I'd have no pain by now, no icing and every day I'd feel a little further along the journey. I'm usually very realistic about things, but somehow this journey was apparently wrapped in a pink cotton candy cloud in my mind.

Stay warm and hopefully better temps will be right around the corner. Wednesday we are supposed to get above freezing, so barring anything unexpected happening, I'm planning on us going out for dinner for my birthday. No place fancy - Mexican, since I haven't had any since before my surgery. :yahoo:
 
@westiemom, temp here this AM -23, windchill -35, very cold but our house is well insulated with good furnace so we’re warm. I agree, Groundhog Day it is. I can walk unassisted but with somewhat of a stiff leg, hubby calls me a pirate!! I get up , do PT, a few chores, ice/ elevate, repeat. I wonder if I will get back to normal. Everyday different sore spots , knee, back, ankle, foot. I don’t get out much,ice plus snow plus cold, plus illness makes me nervous, don’t want to fall or get sick. I just have to hope we’ll get better over time. I too had an unrealistic expectations of this. Enjoy your Mexican, maybe a margarita or ice cream?
 
Need some advice about activity levels, should I be doing more or less? Three months today, not where I hoped to be (back to normal life) Most days up on my feet with chores / walking sitting about 2 hours, do some gentle bending. Then ice / elevate maybe 1 hour, then up again, shower and up / down stairs, sit to eat, then ice / elevate for one hour. Up for dinner, usually do kitchen cleanup as hubby cooks, maybe fold laundry, cat chores. By 7:30 I’m exhausted, lay on couch ice / elevate then bed about 9:30. Usually read, fall asleep, sometimes up a bit in middle of night, doze off until hubby / son get up at 6:30-7. Feel like I should have better stamina / energy. Usually I walk on deck / around house maybe 20 min total. I don’t get out lately, too icy /snowy cold. Hubby does shopping, gets mail, runs errands. My bend is not good, walk with peg leg. Should I be doing more or less?? This is really getting to me mentally, people feel you should be all better, don’t understand. Oh, and after I sit awhile get pins / needles in side of op foot? Appreciate advice and ability to whine here.
 
P.s still bothers to ride in car, even with pillow on seat, cushion under foot, can drive a little but difficult, too.
 
Hi Oldped, I am sorry you were misled to believe you'd be back to normal life so soon. As you're realizing, this recovery takes longer than just a few months. Making an effort to eat enough protein throughout the day and staying adequately hydrated may help increase your stamina. It may also benefit you to go somewhere indoors to walk if the weather is too cold and slowly begin increasing your daily steps to over 20 minutes. Consider going shopping and running errands with hubs and if you tire out, retreat to the car to wait for him. There is something about getting out into the land of the living that can motivate us. The extra movement involved can improve circulation, promote healing and reduce the swelling in your knee.
This is really getting to me mentally,
Staying home for extended periods of time is not good for anyone. Getting out will reduce stress and improve your mood.
Oh, and after I sit awhile get pins / needles in side of op foot?
It can be due to nerves regenerating. Avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time, or in the same position. Stand up and stretch and walk every half hour to full hour. Elevate when you're sitting, it will improve your circulation.
You can even do ankle pumps off and on while sitting.

Hope this helps. Sleep well tonight and Happy Three Month Anniversary! :)
 
Thanks @Layla for the advice, I’m thinking I might go out for a short shopping trip. I am really trying to boost my protein intake, had delicious venison chop with gravy tonight! Venison has higher iron, much less fat than beef. I’ll try to move every hour or so, I usually sit no more than 20-30 minutes with leg down. I seem to walk best after elevating/ icing, but get “log leg” quickly. Walked in the deck today, even though windchill-20! Fresh air/ sun felt good Thanks again, I appreciate I can vent here and people understand.
 
At three months it was very difficult for me to sit that long with my leg down.
 
Should I be doing more or less?? T
As someone who overall has done well and at 2 years plus is way better than pre- op and can do anything I want ( walk up to 18,000 steps a day/ look after a very active 3 year old)- I think you sound as though you are doing plenty.
It is incredibly irritating when people casually express surprise that you are not fully recovered. I had an old work partner who used to drive me mad at about your stage by keeping asking me if I was fully back to normal.
It is important to listen to your body and go steady on recovery. Only you can tell what is too much or when to gradually push yourself and introduce some strength work. It is better to rest early on but then persevere with exercises later- rather than overdo things and then give up in despair. I still do some regular glute/ quads and core pilates 3-4/ week to maintain my muscles.
Good luck!
 
It sounds like you are doing quite well for being only 1/4 of the way through this yearlong recovery process. Listening to your body and your knee, knowing when and what to do, should be your best guide. Some can do more than you at 3 months, and some can do less. Each recovery is different and no 'one size fits all'!
 
Thanks for all the encouragement-it is reassuring, I just need to have patience and not compare myself to others. It’s a fine line between doing too much and not enough. I’m looking forward to spring and feeling better!
 
Back
Top Bottom