Guest viewing is limited

TKR Staying Positive

Has anyone tried a foam wedge in car?
A friend who was 4 months ahead of me in recovery, suggested I put a small pillow under my foot when riding in the car. She said it helped her, so I tried it, and yes, it was very helpful.
 
Yes, but I am worried about complications, especially a fracture since I have osteoporosis. I feel like more intervention for me is not the way to go now, maybe something else down the road a bit (smaller spacer, lysis of adhesions. I am thinking of going to Mayo Clinic in the spring. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m trying to be grateful I don’t have much pain, wrapping my head around the fact that this may be how I have to function. I have a supportive husband and luckily my young adult son is living with us. He’s very helpful.
 
preop ROM only 90. I'm discouraged and depressed, also cabin fever (Wisconsin in winter!) I'm
As others have said above- your tendons and ligaments will have tightened and adjusted to this. Pre-op ROM is linked to post op ROM in most studies I have read.
That's not to say that you can't get more flexibility but it will take time and patience.
It's hard to stay positive- especially when the weather is cold and bleak.
I had my PKR in the late autumn and if I had to do it again I would choose the Spring/ Summer. I found ice the best painkiller but it was freezing at times. I was putting hot water bottles on the rest of my body! Good luck- things will get better.
 
Thanks for the encouragement, I’m trying to give myself pep talks daily. I had a heart to heart talk with my hubby this AM, he listened and was very encouraging.He struggles with walking due to spinal stenosis and tries to stay busy with things he can do and not fixate on what he isn’t able to do. He’s had to give up some things he really enjoys but has a great attitude.So maybe zIm learning a lesson going through this . Your kindness is much appreciated.
 
It’s 1 above here with windchill -5.
:yikes: And I thought it was cold at a windy 30 today in Delaware. We have a winter storm coming on Monday. I met my sister for lunch today and now I’m back home and hunkered down until it passes. :snow:
 
New question- has anyone used an X-10 machine after tkr? It looks like a fancier cpm machine. I’m wondering if it’s a scam and how much it costs.
 
@Jamie, I need your help again. My Medicare makes it a little difficult to use Mayo Clinic providers in Minnesota.They need a referral from one of their providers-I’m working a on a way to get it maybe. Do you have any names for Wisconsin, prefer Madison , but open to others
 
Sadly, I don’t have any surgeons for Wisconsin. If you locate surgeons there and you’d like me to take a look at them, I’d be happy to do that for you. Just post their names here in your thread and tag me.
 
Feeling down today, just seems things are stalled out. I’m 2.5 months out, see a little progress if I look back several weeks. I feel like life is going on around me and I’m just laying here ( usually with a cat on me). I haven’t been sleeping well, wake up and have hamster brain,worrying about future.My knee is stiff ( maybe 70 degrees flex) I can sit longer, still uncomfortable riding/ driving car so I don’t. I don’t really want to go out because lots of flu/Covid/ RSV circulating. I also need some advice on activity. I do some housework(laundry/ dishes/ clean bathrooms) but nothing heavy. For exercises I walk outside maybe 10-15 minutes, 5 minute walks in house 3-4 times a day. If I do more I limp due to lack of flex,my gait is inefficient. Iro 2 lots of PT ( peddle 5 min, 10 mini squats, 10 leg curls, 10 mini bridges, heel slides, hamstring stretch). I’m icing elevating 3-4 times a day, about an hour. My knee is very slightly swollen, not really hot, not painful at he end of the day. Am I doing too much or not enough?I worry about losing what bend I do have. I’m still tired. I looked at my postoperative labs and my hemoglobin is lower than my normal but not anemic,might start some iron. I know I’m early in recovery but see how some are basically back to normal at this point is hard.Thanks for being here, my family, friends are wondering why I’m not back to regular life! I’m trying to be grateful I’m not in pain, have a warm house and family helping me. Oh, And I’m stressed my daughter in California had to evacuate with her nanny family( 1 yr old quintuplets, 2 other kids, staying in an hotel) Please keep LA in your prayers, what a disaster.
 
Feeling down today, just seems things are stalled out. I’m 2.5 months out, see a little progress if I look back several weeks. I feel like life is going on around me and I’m just laying here ( usually with a cat on me). I haven’t been sleeping well, wake up and have hamster brain,worrying about future.My knee is stiff ( maybe 70 degrees flex) I can sit longer, still uncomfortable riding/ driving car so I don’t. I don’t really want to go out because lots of flu/Covid/ RSV circulating. I also need some advice on activity. I do some housework(laundry/ dishes/ clean bathrooms) but nothing heavy. For exercises I walk outside maybe 10-15 minutes, 5 minute walks in house 3-4 times a day. If I do more I limp due to lack of flex,my gait is inefficient. Iro 2 lots of PT ( peddle 5 min, 10 mini squats, 10 leg curls, 10 mini bridges, heel slides, hamstring stretch). I’m icing elevating 3-4 times a day, about an hour. My knee is very slightly swollen, not really hot, not painful at he end of the day. Am I doing too much or not enough?I worry about losing what bend I do have. I’m still tired. I looked at my postoperative labs and my hemoglobin is lower than my normal but not anemic,might start some iron. I know I’m early in recovery but see how some are basically back to normal at this point is hard.Thanks for being here, my family, friends are wondering why I’m not back to regular life! I’m trying to be grateful I’m not in pain, have a warm house and family helping me. Oh, And I’m stressed my daughter in California had to evacuate with her nanny family( 1 yr old quintuplets, 2 other kids, staying in an hotel) Please keep LA in your prayers, what a disaster.
@Oldped - your post sounds so much like my feelings now! It will be 2 months from my LTKR on the 12th. I have been sick and haven't been to PT since before Christmas. Last measured was 70+ flexion - right now I can't remember the exact number, but I had regressed from the week before. We have one car I can ride comfortably in; other than that it hurts very bad. My doctor is an hour away so going there can be very painful for me. I've been laid out flat with Covid for over 2 weeks now and haven't been well enough to do home exercises. What no one seems to understand is that my knee is stuck at about 70 degree. Even two months after surgery, just sitting here, my knee is pinging away in pain. I have no opioids left, just tyelenol which doesn't really help the ache nor the pinging pain.

I have my 2 month follow up on Wed, Jan. 15 and I know my OS is already upset with me because at my one month follow up he wasn't happy with me. I'm nervous as can be about the follow up, pretty sure he (and my Pt) wants to do a MUA. I just don't know what to do. And even though everyone's progress is different, it is so discouraging reading about people who are almost back to normal and walking fine up and down stairs. I lurch around looking ridiculous. I live very rural so no malls to walk in, it's been below freezing for a couple weeks so can't go out. Had 6 inches of snow last night and no electricity this morning. No morning coffee, which just really put the **** cherry on the sundae.

Keep me updated on how you're doing and what your surgeon has to say. This sounds terrible, but in one way it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only one who is having a harder time with this surgery/recovery.
:console2:
 
@Oldped - I’m now at 3.5 months and I’ve found a HUGE difference from 2.5 months. I’m hardly limping, I’m driving but only about 10 miles at a time, I’m doing a few more household chores and go up and down the stairs (still like a toddler) several times a day as I don’t have a downstairs toilet. I do PT at home a couple of times a day then give myself a couple of days off, just basic heel slides, leg lifts etc. Dropped PT sessions after a disastrous “group” session. I have no idea of my ROM as here in the UK doctors don’t obsess about it so never been measured, but I know swelling is going down as driving is easier and I can sit in a dining chair quite comfortably now. You need to be kind to yourself, stop overdoing things and how about finding a hobby such as diamond collages or any other craft to bide the time? You are so early in your journey and have so much healing to do yet. Please take care.
 
@ouchie! I do appreciate your kindness and support. I’m trying to be positive and not concentrate on what some people are doing at the same stage( going to the gym, walking miles, gardening etc) I can’t really drive comfortably, riding is maybe a bit better. If I look back I am slowwwly getting better. I actually have done some scrapbooking and I love to read and watch sports on TV. But I miss my usual outdoor activities. I’m getting a bit more comfortable sitting too. I think I’m going to do less home PT for a couple of days.
 
@westiemom , it’s good to hear from you. I’m sorry you have pain, I just get a little sore after activity. I quit taking any meds last week, it seems like even Tylenol bothers my stomach. I’m having trouble eating- no appetitebe-and have lost about 15 lbs since this started. I figured out a way to ride more comfortably,I sit on a cushion and put a small cushion under my foot (surgery leg).Sorry you’ve been sick. I had Covid 2 weeks preop. Makes me wonder Covid affected my flexion? It causes vascular inflammation, lasts a long time after. Maybe I should have canceled surgery. I’m trying to get a second opinion from Mayo Clinic, don’t know if they will even see me.No MUA for me, too worried about ending up worse or with a fracture. Maybe a procedure called lysis of adhesions or thinner spacer in future. Wish I didn’t do surgery, but too late for that. I look like a zombie walking, my knee feels like it’s full of cement!! I’m also stuck about 70’degrees. So I know just how you feel. Keep me posted we can sympathize with each other,we are in a club no one wants to belong too!! Also with you on the weather, cold, snow nowhere to walk, I just walk in circles around my house, sometimes I sweep off the deck and walk there. So far we have electricity and coffee, wish I could send you some.
 
But I miss my usual outdoor activities.
Do you usually do winter activities? If so, I’m sorry you’re missing out on them this year. But try to remember that this recovery is temporary. You will feel better by Spring.
 
I’m having trouble eating- no appetite-and have lost about 15 lbs since this started.
Try to target protein since it promotes healing, supports muscle strength, enhances our immune system and helps boost our energy level.

Snacks are a good option if you don't want a full meal. Some of my go to protein snacks are -
Greek Yogurt, Peanut Butter & and Apple, Edamame, Hummus and Veggies, Cottage Cheese, Cheese Slices, Protein Shakes, Nuts or Trail Mix, Hard Boiled Eggs, Chicken Salad, Egg Salad, Turkey or Chicken Roll-Ups, Canned Tuna or Salmon, No Bake Energy Bites.
I hope reading this didn't turn your tummy. :sad:

Wishing you a nice weekend Oldped. :) :-) (:
 
I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling down with your progress. I can relate so you’re not alone. My LTKR was measured this week at 67 and it’s 7 weeks postop and my RTKR measured at 90 and it’s 20 weeks post op but had an MUA on it 7 weeks ago. My RTKR was about 90 before the MUA so it hasn’t made any progress yet! I went for a walk in a mall for the first time today which felt so good! :yes!:Better than walking in circles in my townhome! I used a cushion under my foot when sitting in the car to help support it. I don’t need it anymore. I see progress and am taking the PT much slower this time to avoid swelling, pain and tightening of my knees. Less IS more! I’m feeling positive about my knees because they feel less painful than when I pushed through pain to exercise with my first knee replacement. I had them done 13 weeks apart. I live in cold temps ; it’s -9 right now and it’s been scary to think about walking outside on ice and slippery conditions. I also hate hearing how others don’t seem to have the struggle flexing like I do because it makes me feel like a failure and I’m not doing enough but I know that I pushed too hard with my first knee and it didn’t help m get my ROM; it plateaued and then the PT and Surgeon wanted me to have a MUA. So, maybe not be too hard on yourself and cut back on your PT a bit. See if that helps your knee to feel better. @Oldped
 
Also with you on the weather, cold, snow nowhere to walk, I just walk in circles around my house,
I appreciate your worries about infection right now but is there a mall or garden centre or museum you could visit at a really quiet time? Like early in the morning?
I found just being out seeing other people and having a coffee really helped my spirits early on. The weather really got me down. If I ever have to do this again I will pick the Spring.
 
@westiemom you really have been through challenging times. Do deal with our new knee replacement is enough, but when these other problems arise it's threefold. Our minds work overtime and the real issue is what is right for us. I read many people's fabulous progression and then compare to me and oh no, mind goes into overdrive what am I doing wrong. I had RTKR on 9th December so at 4 weeks and really annoyed that I am rather slow in recovery. But, am I? The wonderful support we get on here tells me otherwise. We are all individuals, no 2 are the same. Like you, I have had grief with PT only been once, had to cancel the other day as unfortunately I suffer with a really horrid back and now is playing up. Worried about getting into the car I cancelled, she called me back and told me she is not happy with my swelling!!!!!!!! Really, my fault, and that was just over 2 weeks post surgery and rom of 25. If I don't get to 90 in 2 weeks MUA. Really didn't want to hear that. So, after digesting much positive information on here, we Must take each day and listen to our bodies. You say you are at 70 degrees, what's wrong with that, so early in your recovery plenty of time.e to progress. Stay positive, says she old worry pants, but our minds need the talking to. Wish you well and here whenever you need to shout, scream or laugh x
 
@Oldped I too lost a whole stone after surgery due to the ordeal of it all. Those early weeks are hell aren’t they? I stayed with my sister for 3 weeks post op and her husband is a brilliant cook, all wasted on me! I used to force down a piece of toast in the morning, leaving all the crusts as it was just too much. My appetite finally returned a few days after coming home, and especially after my husband came home who had been in a care home temporarily as he has Vascular Dementia and couldn’t stay home alone. It’s hard being a carer but even harder being alone. I’ve kept the stone off so far and as I am a chubby girl so I was quite pleased at the weight loss! Take care my dear.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom