Guest viewing is limited

TKR Staying Positive

@Oldped best place for you whilst you don't feel great. The exercises can drain you and you need to reserve your energy. I managed to go around the apartment with my feather duster, took the glass tops off bedside cabinets to give a good clean and by then my knee told me to rest. Just makes you feel a little normal to do things. Just been to doctors as my ear was not quite right, given drops so hopefully will help. Strange getting out but feel I would like to get to the seafront if we get some sunshine soon. Everything takes that bit longer doesn't it. Enjoy your couch and be mindful x
 
Well, I liked the Stay Positive title to this thread. I have had both knees replaced last year. First one was July 12 and the second on December 16. I have to say the second one was way easier than the first. It took 19 trips to PT on the first and only 9 for the second after I found Bone Smart. I have 0/125 ROM on the left and 0/130 ROM on the right. I found just getting up for a walk every hour and doing small PT sessions at home very effective. I was happy to be able to climb stairs normally and this strengthen my quad muscles. It was not an easy journey but made it this far. I can do all everyday tasks at home and after years of pain I can walk. My dog will be very happy to have me back to visit the park in the springtime. I will stay positive.
 
Hi @jimbof315 sounds like you’ve done and are doing really well. So looking at your ROM results has there been any difference with the December replacement in terms of ROM to the July one,despite a more intensive PT regimen with the first?

I ask this because I’ve not even been able to start out of house PT for various reasons, so am interested in your recovery. Can you remember if you experienced more or less pain with one over the other?
 
To my friends. @westiemom, @Andypandy, @beralc, how are you today? Overdid it a bit yesterday, so on the couch with ice now, knee a bit achy, such a fine line between enough and TOO MUCH!! Trying to do little chores, cleaning out junk drawer in laundry, getting rid of books, then knee says NO. Very cold here, wind chill -40 F last nite , but Saturday 40 F above. Dr appt tomorrow AM, then hope to go to local concert tomorrow night if feeling ok,. My nasty flu is almost gone, still tired and no appetite. No ice cream van for me please, maybe hot chocolate . Hope you’re all ok.
 
@Oldped did mention you in an earlier message re my physio. Like you, overdid it yesterday, today flipping awful, swollen, hurting and I have just had a good talk to it, let's improve. Just a couple exercises this pm but I have learnt not to keep pushing. We will get there, albeit a bit off now and then:rotfl:. Hope all goes good at docs, let us know. Enjoy concert but be mindful. Sending hot chocolate with whippy cream and chocolate flake x
 
@Oldped @Andypandy @westiemom
Sorry to hear you’re suffering from over doing things. As you say we just learn for the next time but it is difficult trying to do more and not too much.
I’m suffering a bit tonight as yes I got a bit too encouraged by my leap forward and definitely did too many steps! Well i would have felt left out if I didn’t join the ODIC at least once :heehee: Still icing and elevating now and will keep it low key tomorrow.
Had a chat with my GP today and he’s very kindly made a gap for me to come and see him for a complete MOT tomorrow and see if we can get to the bottom of the abnormal bloods. He’ll take lots of new bloods and check my oxy sats etc. So that’s good anyway.
Wishing you all better days ahead x
 
Hope you get things figured out tomorrow @beralc. I’m going to the dr tomorrow too. Funny how we all overdid it? I’ll probably be joining the ODIC tomorrow too.
 
Yes @Oldped it’s always going to happen isn’t it. As long as we can learn from it that’s the main thing. Mine was because I had our two little grandsons over and we’ve not seen them for 6 weeks!!! We usually see then a couple of times a week. What with my situation and then getting one virus then another, we’ve played it safe and steered clear.
So if I’m a bit sore as a result it was definitely worth it. Good luck at the docs tomorrow ❤️
 
Had appt for 2nd opinion on stiff knee, not great news. I had labs, fluid aspirated from knee (looked clear, actually not too painful) OS thinks Arthrofibrosis, but feels like much of Arthrofibrosis due to low grade infection in knee. If infection, 2 stage surgery (washout, antibiotic spacer, iv antibiotic for 6 weeks, then revision) If just scarring referral to Mayo Clinic for research protocol with hinged knee for replacement, med protocol after to prevent scar tissue, maybe 70% chance of improvement. In some ways a relief, but mentally tough for me right now. I really am feeling I should not have done my tkr, but that’s water over the dam now. Really going to work on positive attitude, take it one day at a time. Going to research hinged knees, think Pumpkin has one?
 
@Pumpkin would you be willing to share why you got a hinged knee? Trying to get a bit more knowledgeable for my journey going forward-thanks.
 
I am sorry to read this, Oldped. Hopefully the blood tests for inflammation are normal and the fluid culture is negative for infection. I realize this is not what you excepted and it's understandable that you're regretful right now. You did make the best decision with the info you had in search of a better quality of life through TKR. I believe you will still get that, only the path there may be a bit different than what you planned. There are countless stories of successful revision surgeries here on BoneSmart. Know that we're here for support always. I'm holding positive thoughts for the best possible outcome. Hugs
@Oldped
 
@Oldped
About 6 weeks after my TKR I had a near fall that stretched out the Lateral Collateral ligament, and tore two ligaments in my foot. I did not want to fall, using every ounce of of muscle to stay standing resulting in the injury.
I ended up with a flexion instability requiring a hinged knee to stabilize my knee.
It has been over 10 years and my knee is still going strong.

Hope that helps,
 
@Oldped…..please don’t rush into any decisions about what to do next even if there is an infection. But, ESPECIALLY if there is an infection that turns up in the culturing of fluid, it’s important to get a good infectious disease doctor involved along with an orthopedic surgeon. If you are in a rural location, this is likely going to mean you’ll need to travel to a larger city to get the level of care you need.
 
@Jamie , thanks for your concern. I talked to my dr. today, she will give me a referral to the id Dr she uses at a regional medical center,who was a classmate of hers, he travels to a location about an hour from us. @Pumpkin , thanks for the answer. I’m not sure why a hinged knee was recommended, maybe more room in knee? I think they remove ligaments due to scarring?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom