TKR Staying Positive

To everyone who responded- thanks from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate the encouragement from those who really understand . To @Layla thanks for he suggestions, have been trying some of those. I neede to lose some weight, just not like this! I just got some protein shakes and powder (Amazon).all keep trying. I wish I had somewhere nice to walk but live in a very rural small town, 3000 people, nearest larger city 3-4 hrs. @ Ouchie I admire your strength being a caregiver and recovering at the same time. @ focus positively I’m going to take a little break and rest up today and tomorrow and try to be kinder to myself. I’m laying on the couch right now, ice on knee, heating pad on my back, watching trashy tv
 
@westiemom , it’s good to hear from you. I’m sorry you have pain, I just get a little sore after activity. I quit taking any meds last week, it seems like even Tylenol bothers my stomach. I’m having trouble eating- no appetitebe-and have lost about 15 lbs since this started. I figured out a way to ride more comfortably,I sit on a cushion and put a small cushion under my foot (surgery leg).Sorry you’ve been sick. I had Covid 2 weeks preop. Makes me wonder Covid affected my flexion? It causes vascular inflammation, lasts a long time after. Maybe I should have canceled surgery. I’m trying to get a second opinion from Mayo Clinic, don’t know if they will even see me.No MUA for me, too worried about ending up worse or with a fracture. Maybe a procedure called lysis of adhesions or thinner spacer in future. Wish I didn’t do surgery, but too late for that. I look like a zombie walking, my knee feels like it’s full of cement!! I’m also stuck about 70’degrees. So I know just how you feel. Keep me posted we can sympathize with each other,we are in a club no one wants to belong too!! Also with you on the weather, cold, snow nowhere to walk, I just walk in circles around my house, sometimes I sweep off the deck and walk there. So far we have electricity and coffee, wish I could send you some.
We got our electric back and first thing was the coffee. I am addicted to coffee and DH was worried about me when I didn't even want my morning coffee for days after the surgery. I think he was going to take me to the ER; he knew I was pretty bad off with no coffee. Yeah, the no appetite is bad. I force myself to eat something but it all tastes like cardboard (probably from the covid??) There is really only one hospital group here - I live very rural and the next different hospital group is about 5 hours away. So no one wants to see me other than the original surgeon. I've gone back and forth on the MUA; one day I say I might; the next day I say I won't. There was a thread on here (can't remember whose, sorry) who had the MUA and did fabulously after it. Flexion was great; the doctor took a picture of his leg during the MUA to prove the bend was possible.

Yes, I look like a zombie walking too. I'm still using my walker, as my meds give me a lot of dizziness and I'm scared to death of falling. I also have to get to the DMV to renew my d/l by the 22nd and I haven't been to the eye doctor and know I need new contacts so I'm not sure i will even pass the eye test. Just everything all rolled up and I'm just so anxious about it all. Nothing seems to be going right in my life right now and I'm depressed and so sorry I had this operation. At least at this time in my life. Maybe should have waited till spring and longer after my pacemaker implant. I don't know.

Keep me up to date on how you are doing and we can cry together. My surgeon appt. is Wed, the 15th and I am dreading that appointment so much it isn't funny. It's about all I can concentrate on right now. These 3 weeks of being off PT have not improved my flexion at all, so I have a hard time believing that more time for my knee to heal is going to help. My new knee feels like an alien part and one huge solid thing. Not like pieces of stuff that are supposed to move in conjunction with each other. But I've had xrays that show everything looks perfect; it's just "ME" that is wrong.
 
@westiemom I’m with you- my knee feels like a cement block inside a log. Sorry about your eyes- I’m trying to sort out the eye thing do. I need new glasses, but our local optometrist ( and good friend) died unexpectedly just before Christmas. So have to drive -2 hrs to someone new. Covid can definitely cause decreased taste. The MUA thing rolls around in my mind at night, but it’s too late for my OS to do it, plus he only does 1 a year. Plus my preop ROM was not great so might not accomplish anything, and I worry about a fracture. There are other options later but like you far away for me( 4-5 hrs). And some OS won’t take you as a patient for a yeat My hubs is making plans to visit my son in Spain this spring and I know I can’t go so a downer today. Let’s hope for healing and brighter days.
 
My hubs is making plans to visit my son in Spain this spring and I know I can’t go so
Why not? Spring is 3-4 months away. You can see a lot of improvement in that time, so don't give it up yet. Have faith that you will continue to improve and be able to make the trip.
 
I agree with, benne68, Oldped, don't count yourself out for Spain just yet…if possible. You'll likely be 6 or 7 months post op and have regained a significant amount of strength and mobility with less pain and stiffness. Are you concerned about a long flight, or just guessing you won't be feeling ready? When it gets a bit closer, consider getting your surgeons thoughts on international travel, maybe it will sway you one way, or another.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@Oldped
 
There was a thread on here (can't remember whose, sorry) who had the MUA and did fabulously after it. Flexion was great; the doctor took a picture of his leg during the MUA to prove the bend was possible.

The Surgeon showed me my leg super flexy during my MUA and said it was 123 ROM but ONLY 3 hours later it wasn’t even 90 from the swelling. The ROM kept decreasing from swelling. It’s taken me 7 weeks to get it back to 90. @Oldped @westiemom
 
My hubs is making plans to visit my son in Spain this spring and I know I can’t go so a downer today.

Don’t give up! I’m planning a trip to Europe this Spring. I’ll be 5 months postop both knees (my right had a MUA at 12 weeks postop). I’m being positive about my progress! Call me crazy if you want but I want to get back to living! :loveshwr:
 
My hubs is making plans to visit my son in Spain this spring and I know I can’t go so
Why not? Spring is 3-4 months away. You can see a lot of improvement in that time, so don't give it up yet. Have faith that you will continue to improve and be able to make the trip.
Don’t think I could handle he plane ride and lots of walking, I’m not a great traveler in the best of circumstances. My hubs has decided to go with a family friend who can help him with he airports, etc. my DH has spinal stenosis so I probably couldn’t be much help for him
 
My hubs is making plans to visit my son in Spain this spring and I know I can’t go so a downer today.

Don’t give up! I’m planning a trip to Europe this Spring. I’ll be 5 months postop both knees (my right had a MUA at 12 weeks postop). I’m being positive about my progress! Call me crazy if you want but I want to get back to living! :loveshwr:
I admire your positivity! Hope I can catch your attitude.
 
Managed to shovel 5 inches of snow off deck, front walk/ steps, yay me. Hope I don’t join the ODIC! Currently on couch with ice/ elevation, waiting to watch the Packers.
 
@westiemom I’m with you- my knee feels like a cement block inside a log. Sorry about your eyes- I’m trying to sort out the eye thing do. I need new glasses, but our local optometrist ( and good friend) died unexpectedly just before Christmas. So have to drive -2 hrs to someone new. Covid can definitely cause decreased taste. The MUA thing rolls around in my mind at night, but it’s too late for my OS to do it, plus he only does 1 a year. Plus my preop ROM was not great so might not accomplish anything, and I worry about a fracture. There are other options later but like you far away for me( 4-5 hrs). And some OS won’t take you as a patient for a yeat My hubs is making plans to visit my son in Spain this spring and I know I can’t go so a downer today. Let’s hope for healing and brighter days.
@Oldped:
I'm with you. I cancelled our trip to Scotland last week. We were planning on hiking and walking all the hills and valleys and sightseeing and I just didn't want to wait till the last minute and lose a bunch of money. That was a hard decision to make, as the trip was the biggest reason I had the TKR in the first place - sorta a goal for me to achieve. I'm healing very slowly tho, still have scabs and purple bruising at 2 months. I've always healed slow, so guess I was just in dreamland when I thought I could make the UK trip. :blackcloud:
 
There was a thread on here (can't remember whose, sorry) who had the MUA and did fabulously after it. Flexion was great; the doctor took a picture of his leg during the MUA to prove the bend was possible.

The Surgeon showed me my leg super flexy during my MUA and said it was 123 ROM but ONLY 3 hours later it wasn’t even 90 from the swelling. The ROM kept decreasing from swelling. It’s taken me 7 weeks to get it back to 90. @Oldped @westiemom
Sounds like your MUA wasn't worth it. I dread going back to the beginning of this journey and all the pain and swelling and more waiting to be better. My surgeon is relatively young and I don't know if I would trust him to do a MUA - I've read you need an experienced doctor to do one successfully. I just don't know what to do. :hairpulling:
 
Managed to shovel 5 inches of snow off deck, front walk/ steps, yay me. Hope I don’t join the ODIC! Currently on couch with ice/ elevation, waiting to watch the Packers.
That is quite the accomplishment. DH used the tractor to plow the driveway and shoveled the front deck and stairs in case I need/want to leave the house. Falling is one of my greatest fears (along with never walking normally again - LOL)
Enjoy your Packers game!:goodpost:
 
Yes, I’m very cautious, walk like a penguin, verrry slowwwly. Iv had some dreams of falling and breaking things.
 
Iv had some dreams of falling and breaking things.
Early in my recovery I dreamt that I was drowning. When I woke up and came out into the living room and started telling my husband about it, he actually turned off the tv to listen to me. It’s amazing how many parts of our minds and bodies are affected by this surgery.
 
Today I’m a member of the ODIC after shoveling snow yesterday, knee is more stiff/swollen, it’s the couch with ice/ elevation/heating pad( on back) and heated blanket on top of it all, plus a cat or two!
 
Unfortunately this is how each of us learned our current limits at each step of the journey! Hopefully you'll be a-ok tomorrow.
 
Sometimes we have to do what we have to do. Hopefully you’ll recover in a short time, and have peace knowing your shoveled areas are clear and there’s much less chance of a fall.

I’m almost 8 years post op, and my PKR is very sensitive. I also have back issues. I shoveled just enough of my driveway for my car to drive out. I felt fine the next day. BUT, my body reacted the second day, but I was ok the day after that.
 
After a busy day activity- wise, I took the next day easy, so everything could reset.
 
Back
Top Bottom