Guest viewing is limited

TKR Starting recovery

Hello to all- update- at 18 days post- op I’m doing well- except I appear to have the super irritated peroneal nerve that I was fearing.. Around the middle of last week, the nature of my pain changed, to more of an aching quality, and it also increased. By the weekend, it had gotten so bad that at times I really couldn’t put any weight on that leg at all without crying out. It almost feels like sciatica. Pain is mostly from the knee area down the outside of the calf and the front of the foot although sometimes gets also behind the knee and elsewhere.
Luckily, I got a refill of the oxy this past Monday and I’m on that pretty much around the clock again. I’m not really sure where to go from here, I was doing so well in recovery and now I’m hardly exercising at all because I’m just trying to rest this thing and let it calm down.
:headbang::boohoo:
 
now I’m hardly exercising at all because I’m just trying to rest this thing and let it calm down.
Don’t worry about not doing formal exercises. At only 18 days post op all you need are gentle movements, and gentle knee bends, for mobility.

I hope the oxy helps your pain settle down. :console2:
 
Great to hear from you this week. I'm sorry about the irritated peroneal nerve. It sounds like you had a miserable time last weekend. I'm sure with the post op swelling and healing soft tissues in the area it's very uncomfortable for you. Be consistent with Icing and Elevation, if you're not already, and be gentle on yourself, not forcing any movements. Hopefully with the Oxy...and more time, it calms down. If the pain worsens or isn't gradually easing, it won't hurt for you to touch base with the office of your OS. One day at a time, Lovebugs, that's enough for now. :thumb: Please keep us posted.
@Lovebugs
 
Layla, thanks.
You(and all the moderators) strike just the right tone, IMO. Gentle reminders-which I need, new suggestions, etc. without ever
 
Whoops, this got sent before I was done!

Without being condescending.
When we are in pain, plus all the other activities of daily life, family issues, medication issues, etc. it is so easy to forget some of the basic things.

And I love the support and kindness that I get here!
 
Such kind words for the forum, Lovebugs. You're a pleasure to support and encourage.
Thanks so much for sharing your journey with all,
Happy Sunday!
@Lovebugs
 
Hi all, updating at almost one month post op. Had my last orthopedic appointment today and all looks well- except they put me on oral antibiotics for a short time since there is one tiny spot on the incision that isn’t completely closed. It probably is closed, but they don’t wanna take a chance and I agree.
Had a good walk through the hospital(with a cane) just getting to the ortho department.
My pain has settled down quite a bit now and is mostly just aching, often behind the knee, which I find curious.
I will be going back to work next Monday, but it shouldn’t be too stressful because I only work three 5 hour days a week.

And I really want to know if someone can repost that great drawing about the theory of recovery and the reality of recovery with the scribbly lines, I really like that and I wanna make a copy of it if I could. Thanks in advance.
Best wishes to everybody!
Lovebugs
:upright: :spider::flwrysmile:
 
Is this the one you are looking for?


[Bonesmart.org] AJ’s LHS THR
 
Happy One Month Anniversary. Lovebugs!
Hip-hip hooray for a send off from the OS. That's what we want...you're doing great!

A word of caution, go slow and easy at work. Often time colleagues assume because you're back, that you're fully healed and ready to roll. You might want to sigh, moan, and say "ow" once in awhile so they know you're still healing,:heehee: Just kidding. :wink:

One month post op is still very early into recovery, so I wish you the best and hope you're able to do nothing more than rest at night after your days at work...at lease for another couple of months.
Many bring ice packs to work to store in a community fridge, or even close by in a small cooler, it that's something that brings you comfort. I wish you the best upon your return, please let us know how it goes for you. :thumb:
@Lovebugs
 
I too had pain behind my knee. I found that turning the ice where my knee was resting on the ice seemed to help me somewhat.

As for going back to work, I realize you say you only work three to five hour a day per week - that's still a different routine than your used to doing. It will be taxing on you for sure. Make certain you don't sit / stand in any one position for too long or you will really become stiff.

Your doing great.
 
I just thought of a couple points about formal PT overworking patients after joint replacement. (which I just allowed for the second week in a row to happen.)
1. One reason that was a positive for me to go through this to get my knee replaced is that I will be taking much less medication such as NSAIDs for pain. I already have GERD and possibly something else going on reflecting damage to my esophagus.
So here I am after a PT session taking Advil again.
2. Increased pain definitely affects our gait,
and that is not something we want, obviously,
especially not to just satisfy a PTs or doctor’s requirement for arbitrary numbers.

I think I’ll be canceling the last of my PT sessions, and will consider finding one not affiliated with this hospital system for one last session a few weeks from now.

I’ll likely be labeled a “naughty patient” but so be it.

Hopefully this is some food for thought for other people in recovery.
:heehee::shrug:
 
here I am after a PT session taking Advil again.
I'm so sorry your therapist is pushing you to pain. And I'm glad you are going to fire him/her and find someone who understands this recovery.

You are only one month post-op. There's still lots of inflammation inside that knee, even if it's not visible on the outside. When the inflammation recedes, your flexion and extension will come back.

In the meantime, can you talk with either your surgeon's office or your PCP about prescribing something for pain that won't bother your stomach?
 
Well, I can take Tylenol but had wanted something to lessen the inflammation, at least for a day or 2.
I am not aware of anything besides NSAIDs that will do that. I can’t take oral steroids.
 
Have you tried topical diclofenac -- while it is technically an NSAID. the research I've read indicates there is less systemic exposure, so perhaps it would help without putting your GI tract at risk?
 
I seem to be stuck with the inflammation and increased pain for the time being. Pain above the knee and sometimes behind the knee. My back is hurting in its usual(several years) area on the lower left. I’m icing and elevating often.
I had the same scenario after my first knee replacement! Except the back was better then.
So just trying to keep it moving gently and using mostly topicals and Tylenol as needed.
I thought I had found a new PT, then realized they are not in network with my insurance, so too expensive. Will look more and start calling after the Memorial Day holiday.

Thanks for checking in! :ice::whistle:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom