Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22 oh what a lovely idea, using After Sun to make you ahve summery thoughts-- sense of smell is so evocative, isn't it? Slow and Steady, then when you get to videotape that first solids-eating session in a few weeks, you will feel so strong and well :) :) (you do have a camcorder or suchlike? LOL)
 
zauberflöte My daughter got a one for Christmas and she will bring it with her
 
Littlejem at my 6 week check up I was told some of my restrictions will be in place to the end of the year... so you are not alone about having some still in place.
 
sandybeach I am doing a little better thanks for asking.I would sum things up as very slow progress but you are spot on when you say things change from day to day.We all need so much patience but want to be back to normal as soon as possible.I am walking and moving better as well as following my physios instructions to the letter. It's easy to think that I should be extending my exercise routine when I read all the things that others are doing but I am resisting this as my physio has been around since pussy was a kitten and helped hundreds of people recover from hip replacements . SLOW and STEADY is my personal mantra now. I am sticking with the strong painkillers as well.

Lots of good wishes and prayers for Thursday. You did remarkably well with your first and I am sure you will do even better this time .Regards Kim
 
Kim22 my surgery is Friday. I'm not worried at all about the upcoming surgery, I would rather not have to have it, I am looking forward to having it done and over with. I believe in the slow and steady. My PT was a bit barbaric at first. Last week she admitted to me that she has never had anyone as young as me that had hip replacement or needed it in both hips. She didn't really know what she was doing to me the first few times I went to see her. I was in so much pain after my second session with her I had to cancel my third one. After that she eased up and things started to go better but I'm a challenge for her because of my limitations with the bad hip I still have.
 
Kim22, Littlejem, Firebrand clifford149,
I'm right in there with you all in the restrictions. My OS says I'll be on them for life. That's a little longer than I had hoped for. On the other hand my PT says I can do "this and that" with no worries. I just want to know if I'll ever be able to put my socks on unassisted. Haha :wink:

Glad to hear your doing so well Kim. I like the way you think. :SUNsmile:
 
Oh my goodness Weezi what restrictions have you been given for life, I've not been told of any lasting that long? Kim22 zauberflöte You would have laughed watching me trying to get my socks on today!! I haven't got round to buying one of those sock helpers and so after my shower this morning I needed to get my socks on by myself so I could walk up to the shops. Well I used my helping hand, pushed them further on by pushing my foot along the floor and then bent my knee/foot backwards toward my bottom to pull it the rest of the way!! :heehee: :rotfl: It took ages but I wasn't going to be beaten, I really do need to buy a sock helper I'm sure it would be easier!!!
 
Weezi. Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat re restrictions. What can't you do?

clifford149 The things that I was specifically told not to do EVER were: lift my knee to my chest, bend over from standing to touch my toes, lift the foot of my operated leg out to the side and up (not sure if that last one makes sense).

Littlejem I also put my own socks on today for the first time in over six weeks, and like you, I was glad there was no audience for the spectacle!
 
Firebrand Littlejem you two are a hoot with the socks :rotfl: I'm soooooo glad I'm having mine done in non-sock weather :yes: Maybe the second one in early October, and between now and then practise putting on socks with my toes? Wish I had my hubby's "monkey toes" that run in his family, but noooo, I have stubby toes that aren't any use at all....
Weezi restrictions all your life? Waaaaahhhhhhh! I am sorry! :kittykiss:
 
@ Littlegem I think you need a sock aid I tried putting them on with a helping hand and ended up just like you !
 
Hi Kim, seems like things are ticking along nicely for you. Good move just following your PTs advice, it's normal to want to recover as quickly as possible but it is not worth taking chances, we all get there in the end.

I find it all very strange when some members say they have restrictions for life and others like me have none whatsoever, I guess it just depends on your OS but why should, say you firebrand, have a chance of dislocation if you pull your knees to your chest or touch your toes but I can do that and have done both of those things after 12 week restrictions were lifted and have been absolutely fine. Is it just the OS covering their backs or is it specific cases? My case was a little complex what with the CDH and leg lengthening but I have not been told to not do anything. Anyhoo just my thoughts........

Keep up the good work Kim, you are doing fab :)

Take care

Ann.x.
 
I am so confused about all the different advice we have been given on restrictions.I really thought that the rules only lasted for 3 months at the most but usually they were lifted at about 6 weeks. I thought that life time restrictions meant no jumping from heights, high impact stuff including singles tennis, running and down hill skiing as well as no contact sports I didn't realise they included raising the knee to the chest and touching toes !

I am not seeing my OS until I am nearly 10 weeks so it will be interesting to see what he says
 
sandybeach You are going to do so well after Friday with all the experience of last time behind you. It's easy to think that most hip replacement patients are our age or even younger because of Bonesmart but in reality we are younger than most The average age in the UK is 68 My OS told me I was one of his younger girls even though he is younger than me I was a tiny bit flattered LOL
 
Yes it will be interesting what he says Kim, hopefully you won't have any apart from the crazy athletic ones. :)
 
I also thought that hip replacement was for older people...like in their 70's maybe late 60's until I got on here. If I had only known different I wouldn't have let mine get so bad before getting things checked out. I have also never heard of lifetime restrictions. I thought that it didn't matter what procedure you had for surgery that it all is the same after you are healed. I left the hospital with no restrictions. Like you said no jogging and my OS said not to try and lift my leg straight out in front of my when sitting down...not sure what's that about but I will find out when I see him in the hospital. But even that is just until things heal better.
 
Quite. It makes no sense to me. I was really upset to be told that some of these things are for life - when other people are cleared for anything short of bungee jumping. And whilst at 5'11'' I'm tall, (the reason given), I don't think I'm that unique?
 
Firebrand your height should be working in your favor I would think....BTW can I have some of that height? The jogging restrictions are more for the wear and tear on the hip joints that's why it shouldn't be done...I've been told. Has anyone else been told that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom