THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Firebrand, I can't see what difference your height would make to it all, it is not as if you are unnaturally tall for goodness sake, what about other tall ladies or even the men who tend to be on the taller side. Let's see if Jo Josephine has any wise words for us on this one.
 
The things that I was specifically told not to do EVER were: lift my knee to my chest, bend over from standing to touch my toes, lift the foot of my operated leg out to the side and up (not sure if that last one makes sense).
What a load of tosh, never heard the like before! Can you seriously imagine, of the 0.8 million hip replacements that are done world wide, that even 0.0001% of them are complying with such restrictions even IF they were given them in the first place? which I can assure you they were not! What about dancers, horse riders (specially if they had a right hip done!), rock climbers and so on? You only need to look in here to see what I mean Stories of amazing hip recoveries.

Surgeons who give out this kind of advice are operating on a "cma" basis (cover my [insert word]) to prevail against law suits on the basis that they can then say they specifically told you not to do it! The fact that those actions are infrequently involved in dislocations anyway seems totally beside the point to them! Don't let it worry you and live your life as you want to. Millions of other people do and come to no harm.
 
Really, you'd just have to know this doctor of mine. I think he tells all his THR patients that they will be on restrictions for life for the very reason that @Anniepops mentioned. It's a nice broad blanket of coverage. Or it could just be me, LOL! I did tell him that I was anxious to get back to my tumbling class. :heehee: Just kidding. Seriously though, no one would be more upset than I would if I did something crazy to dislocate new hip. There comes a point when you know, for the most part, what your capable of doing and what your not in my opinion.

Littlejem and Firebrand - I don't see how you guys managed to get your socks on without a sock aid. :rotfl:

@zauberflöte- That's true, it is flip flop weather! :SUNsmile:
 
Kim22 you are right I definitely need a sock aid!! Weezi I don't know how I did it either but as the old saying goes, 'where there's a will there's a way'!!
On the subject of restrictions, the longest I've been given is 3 months and that's for the 90%. Physio wants me to start pushing it while standing, by bending the knee up as far as I can although I can't get it very high yet she's happy for me to go slightly over the 90% if I can. :what:
 
Thanks Josephine. I was so shocked and upset when I was told this - and of course made to feel that it would be all my fault if I did one of those things and dislocated. As Weezi says, of course I don't want to be doing anything that would put it at risk, but surely if Wayne Sleep can return to doing what he managed to do with his body in ballet, I can cut my toenails?

The Dr I saw who told me this at my 6 week check up wasn't my actual surgeon. I'm afraid he struck me as one of those rather patronising types who is really just interested in the mechanics of the process and had marked me as someone who came across as less than 100% grateful for what they'd done. I have still got an open ticket for 6 months, so I think I will phone up today and get an appointment with my surgeon in the diary.
 
sandybeach I was told that the Great North Run ( half marathon) was out as road running loosens the cement and wears out the hip implant prematurely I had no intention of doing it by the way LOL
 
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that 'cos I'd have done it with you................yeah right!! I must admit I have done a few of the race for life runs of 5k and would have loved to try it again but looks like that won't be a good idea!! :sad:
 
I have a sock aid and I cant use it properly. The type I have is soft plastic, you put the sock over it and supposed to put your foot in. The problem I have is the sock makes the plastic squash so impossible to put foot in. Maybe there are other types with firmer plastic which would work as they are supposed to. I am putting socks on my toes and using the carpet to push them on to my foot. Seems to work.
As for the restrictions I was given 3 months then told to increase what I do gradually. The only things not permitted were things like jogging and high impact stuff. My friend joked once I get other hip done shes putting my name down for the Great north run. I get tired just watching them on the TV.
Barbara
 
Sorry to take over another person's post, but I have phoned and got an appointment to see my actual surgeon on 1 May, as I can't quite believe the restrictions I have been given for life. It's like taking delivery of a new sofa and keeping the plastic wrapping on. Yes, it'll extend it's life, but its also impractical.
 
Firebrand That's brilliant news be sure to take in a list of questions .You are so right about comparing the daft advice you were given to buying a new sofa and keeping the plastic cover on. I am sure we will all be interested in what your actual O S has to say

My OS seems to get round the CMA issue I this way eg I asked would I be able to kayak eventually when fully healed and he replied "well its not something we would normally recommend but I know lots of my patients have done it without any problems " or words to that effect
 
Thanks everyone for your help and advice on this. The bizarre thing was that he told me high impact sports were ok to do after 3 months - specifically tennis and running. (Neither of which I would do if you put a gun to my head!) I think he disapproved of me asking about going back to martial arts. It ticks me off when that type of medical professional sees I am a middle aged, working class woman, and gives me such rubbish advice.

Kim22 I hope that you get to go back to kayaking.
 
My OS never said anything about any restrictions after my original 6 weeks restrictions. And I never asked because it never occurred to me that I needed to ask. I just figured I could do whatever I wanted to within reason. I have never for one moment worried about dislocating my hip and don't plan to start now.
 
Hi...wow quite a lot of difference with restrictions particularly for the posterior approach....while some have stated that with the anteriof there are few or none?....I was told 6 weeks is the normal length of restriction and so will confirm in 2 weeks time.
 
I remember years ago before I had hip problems, a few ladies in an exercise class I went to were talking about one of them who had a hip replacement. I remember it to this day because the hip replacement patient said she could never use a ladder or kneel. I thought to myself, "wow, I never want to have that surgery!" That was so much bunk! It is so not true, but I guess that's what the woman's doctor told her. She wasn't putting in too much effort in the class either.
 
There does seem to be a ridiculous breadth to the advice from our surgeons and physios and it's such a shame that some of us have been given such worrying advice, especially if it's not strictly correct! I don't blame you Firebrand for getting a second opinion! Wow kayaking, Kim22, I'm very impressed, great fun and really good exercise I would imagine!! :)
 
My OS never said anything about any restrictions after my original 6 weeks restrictions. And I never asked because it never occurred to me that I needed to ask. I just figured I could do whatever I wanted to within reason. I have never for one moment worried about dislocating my hip and don't plan to start now.
Good for you
 
Littlejem and Firebrand I must confess that I have never been in a kayak yet ! We have a static caravan on the North Northumberland coast which we bought for the lovely walking about a year before I developed hip pain but I have not been able to hike for the last 2and a half years so I have spent lots of time sitting on seats overlooking the bay watching other people having great fun sea kayaking with a longing to give it a go. I love the water and swimming and like to think its something I could eventually try.That is why I asked my OS the question. I have been inspired further by the kayakers on this site. However it is a bit warmer in Florida I would need a wet suit of course as the North Sea is always freezing.my first love is walking and my first goal is to get back to walking the coast and in the nearby Cheviots as we used to.Its great that I have had the surgery and can now really imagine that happening
 
Firebrand you go girl! And you could always get a second opinion from another OS ?
Kim22 I love my little interludes of tame bay kayaking-- give it a try, wet suit and all :)
clifford149 I'm having anterior. I asked the nurse what restrictions I'd have, and she said none really except not to extend the leg too far out behind me. I was assuming that would be for a limited period of time. But. I haven't, of course, gotten my discharge instructions yet. Hope there are no surprises!
 
Hi zauberflöte....that's great news about restrictions I guess the only other short term limitation mentioned by some anteriors is
Quadraceps being inititially sore having gone in around them...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom