THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kim22 not dropped by lately but just been catching up on your thread. Grandchildren are brilliant aren't they, it's so good that they are around at the moment for you. I'm sorry your GP is being awkward about your painkillers if they are helping you it's very strange. It's great you've been out and about, I think it makes you feel better to get out of the house doesn't it. We had a lovely day here today and I so hope it's good again tomorrow, i'll take our dog out for a walk with my husband if it is. My feet and ankles are quite swollen have you experienced that, do you think it's ok?:sad:
 
Hi Littlejem Its funny you should mention about swelling of the feet and ankles I have just come out of the shower and noticed that the foot of my operated foot is swollen so must be part of the course I should think.I also have a sore heel caused by sleeping on my back I wake up with my foot dropped forward and very stiff as well I am back to wearing my big plastic boot which helps but is so hot and bulky! I hope tomorrow is another nice day I really want to get out for a drive with a short, slow walk at the end .Enjoy your walk with your hubby and Henry
 
Keep elevating and icing even your feet and ankles benefit :)
 
I'm now officially confused ... first you say
when I rang the GP to request more Codeine Phosphate he told me that I was on a too powerful combination of pain killers and had to stop the Naproxen and switch to Co codamol instead
and then this
Co Codamol is a combination of 15 mg Codeine and 500mg Paracetamol 2 tablets 4 times a day
Apart from dropping the naproxen, I don't see any difference. Presumably you were taking 30mg codeine with 2 paracetamol and how you have co-codamol which, in two tablets, is also 30mg codeine and two paracetamol! :shrug:
Just to put the icing on the cake I was not concentrating when walking upstairs and managed to go up first with the operated leg in error and felt a sheering pain through the buttock.
Try putting the icing on your behind instead! :snork: Seriously, you would have to try an awful lot harder than that to damage the implants. However, it is quite easy to give the still healing ligaments and muscles a bit of a tweak which can be extremely painful, but they will settle with a bit of TLC.
 
Kim, glad to hear you had a wonderful visit with your daughter and grandbaby! And you have something to look forward to in the next three weeks. Since you've been posting regularly, you'll be able to look back in three weeks and see where you are now to where you are then. You should be able to see quite a progression by then! Sometimes it's hard to see the short-term gain. Give it a few days and things find a way of working themselves out. However, I hope you get those pain meds working for you a little better. Sounds like you might need something a little different at night than what you're taking during the day - just a thought.

Sorry to hear that your heel is still giving you problems. Do you sleep with the boot under the covers or on top? I found that when I had to wear my boot 24-7 that it was easier to sleep on the side of the bed where I could put my foot on top (also acted as my body's thermostat) and was able to prop it up on pillows.

Don't worry about hubby. They're a pretty resilient bunch! I found mine stepped up to the plate nicely during my recovery and he was gracious throughout. He really found a way to bring me down from the ledge when I got myself worked up!

Slow and steady on those walks! You'll get to your destination when you get there. No rush!!!
 
Josephine Sorry I confused myself as well as you When the GP told me that he would prescribe co codamol instead of codeine phosphate as I was taking a too powerful combination I assumed wrongly that this was a step down which of course it isn't as you point out 2 tablets equate to exactly what I was taking before.Now I know why it is controlling the pain and I still feel very wooly headed ! The conversation with the GP came about during a black time when I was feeling really sorry for myself and very sensitive so I took his comments as criticism I am feeling more rational now .Thanks for the reassurance that my mishap going upstairs was not enough to damage the new hip and yes I am still icing including the buttock.Do you think it is wise to start reducing the Naproxen at this time ?
 
Don't reduce anything just now. As yet you are only 3 weeks out and could carry on using what you are using for many more weeks if necessary. See how it goes.
 
dede62 You are right I have something to look forward to in 3 weeks time and by then I will be able to look back and see some progress Slow and steady is my plan for the future when it comes to walking and exercise There is no hurry and recovery ill take place in it own time.How is your foot now ? I hope there is some improvement. Thanks for the tip on wearing the boot I will try it tonight
 
Three Weeks Post Surgery

I had a bad few days last week due to overdoing it but I have decided to put all that behind me as today is another day and I am feeling much better at last I can see a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.The hip is less sore and I am moving better.I am taking short and slow walks daily with 2 sticks outside and moving well indoors with 1 stick I have tried with no sticks but I am not ready yet I am back up to 8 reps of my standing exercises. I still need the strong painkillers and I have just started on Magnesium supplements to help my muscles. I am also eating more protein to rebuild the muscles too.

I am so glad that I am onto the last box of Clexane injections and cannot wait to finish them for good! I sleep well most nights on my back.The only issue is a bit of a sore heel and foot drop but my inflatable boot is taking care of them well. I still need an afternoon sleep and sessions elevating and icing the hip.

So overall a little progress and the biggest thing I have learnt is that SLOW and STEADY is the way forward and I need patience by the bucket load to see me through.

I have started to use After Sun instead of body lotion as I find that the smell reminds me of sunny holidays and this lifts my spirits.As I previously said Roll on Summer !
 
Kim22, Hi nice idea about using after sun as moisturiser to remind you of sunny holidays. I think I will try that.
I still have swollen feet and ankles by the end of the day. I find once elevated they ease up.
I know what you mean about the end of the injections I was sooo pleased to be free of them after 30 days. Glad to hear you are doing well. Taking things easy and not doing too much is difficult when you just want to be up and doing things. Don't worry you will be doing much more soon.
Barbara
 
Hi Kim22. The sore heels drove me mad when I had to sleep on my back. I ended up buying one of those lightweight squeedgy cushions (the type for travelling), and that helped enormously. Queenie suggested a rolled up towel as well - I found a combination of the two worked. Someone else I know suggested a small sheepskin - from somewhere like the babies section in Boots.

Any chance you could change your GP for someone a little more empathetic?
 
Kim22 So glad you're having a better week and getting on with the exercises, well done! :tada: Just a thought about your sore heels in bed. I sleep with a rolled up pillow under my knees to help with my back and I'm wondering if it would help your heels. as your feet would would be almost flat on the bed if your knees were bent, might be worth a try? I'm soooo glad I didn't have to do those injections, I really don't envy you that!!! :sad: Take care and keep doing what you're doing, it's working!! x
 
Elosarabrab Thank you for the reassurance I can't wait to getting back to normal life.
Firebrand Thanks for the advice on sore heels I will get hubby to check out Boots for a baby sheepskin sounds lovely.
Littlejem I will ask the physio about the rolled up towel as I think he not place anything bulky under the legs but I might have got that wrong. To continue our conversation on leg length I am also only 5 ft 3 inches and would love to gain some extra height but unlike you mine would be in 1 leg only instead of both LOL ! I tried standing on one leg it's not easy but it will be great to making your operated leg stronger to support you through the next op.When are you having the next one done !
 
My surgeon said he would do the other hip any time after 6 weeks but I think I'll go back to work for a few months and then go back in for number 2, that way I'm hoping the first one will be stronger. I was told today that I have to avoid going past the 90% for 12 weeks, have you?
Ha ha, not a lot of point if you only get one leg longer is it!! :heehee: Yes you're right, the standing on one leg thing isn't too easy is it, she also said you have to stand up straight and not stick your hip out, yeah right.......I'll keep trying though!!
 
Littlejem I am not seeing the OS until almost 10 weeks post surgical and he is the only one who can lift the 90% restrictions so that will be the earliest He is on holiday and the NHS could not give me an earlier appointment I am looking on the bright side that I will be stronger and more recovered when I finally get the go ahead
 
Hi Kim, you're doing really well! Taking it easy and icing seems to have helped me in my smooth recovery. I'm 5 weeks today and getting stronger everyday.
 
octopus So glad you are getting stronger every day that's great news!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom