Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sooooo happy to be on the other side! - Jude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, then you need to lighten up with that exercise---less of them done slowly and easily to discomfort only. You can always do bending exercises off and on during the day just a few at a time rather than a lot at one time. This usually is more productive in the long run.

This is a really long recovery---so slow yourself down, take it easy, and baby that knee. It will heal and bend and stretch properly when its ready and not a moment sooner. It will be at least 3 months post op before you'll begin to think you did the right thing; and about 6 months post op before you begin to feel that you'll be "normal" again; and by one year you should be delighted with your results. But do keep in mind that some of us take longer than others.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
A couple of cool improvements in the last couple of days...walked up and down a few steps like normal without even thinking about it. That is the same area I fell in my first day home. Since the steps were made from bridge timbers they had really high risers that were impossible so I had those rebuilt plus others in the living room. My husband has Parkinson's and left today to San Francisco for spinal surgery so the new steps will help him, too. What a tough time this has been.

My other surprise move was getting out of bed and immediately standing and walking without that part where you oof and hurt and feel stiff before you can walk. I loved it so much I did it a few times and showed anyone I could buttonhole to watch!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sooooo happy to be on the other side! - Jude
Aren't they just wonderful, Jude? Helps you realize that things really ARE getting better. I always suggest that you make a physical note of these so that you can take a look at them when you're going through one of those bumps in the recovery road to help you keep your spirits up.

In this recovery truly
[Bonesmart.org] Sooooo happy to be on the other side! - Jude
Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Had outpatient PT yesterday for first time. Was a little late getting started because of early complications and home health stuck around longer. I am going to a 2-therapist independent place which I loved. No crowding, personal attention and their philosophy of treatment completely jibes with mine and Bonesmart. Added 5 new exercises to my old routine and dumped a couple that no longer made sense at this stage. Was a little sore that evening but when I did the routine again today sort of sailed through it and felt great. Was surprised somewhat that I lost a few degrees off my 0 extension but more surprised that I upped my flexion from 113 to 124.

The stabbing knee pain that started a couple of weeks ago is a problem...think chrondomalacia? ...so we will be focussing on healing that first. This is the first time I can even think about doing this again but it is clear now how terrible a condition the left knee is in.
 
Subject change...could one of you delightful admins change my thread title to Jude's Journey?
 
JUDE'S JOURNEY...don't know how to change my title to this one, help appreciated!

I sure don't have anything dramatic to share. I am 7 weeks post and doing well. Plusses: haven't regained any of the 17 pounds I lost; extension is usually at zero with an occasional slide back to -2; flexion is over 130 at PT today. I have always been pretty flexible and that must make a difference to how you do, right? Now strength has to catch up. I like PT, have two therapists who ask for regular feedback on how it's feeling as we do the work. Don't know how many sessions I get but I want to continue for as long as possible. To have my hubby recouping from spinal surgery in SF makes for a lonely time but we will both get through it.
 
It sounds as though you are doing splendidly!!!
Well done!!
 
JUDE'S JOURNEY: Had my 8 week check-up with OS and he was super pleased. Only real issue besides continuing pain, especially getting up from a seated position, is my hypertrophic/keloid scar, which I intend to treat with a silicone scar treatment. I signed up for another round of PT to strengthen my quad and it will also give me a free pass to use the gym so I can work out on my own. I am biking, doing leg lifts on the roller bar, straightening leg on 32 pounds of resistance on those metal plate machines....used to be a gym rat and now can't remember the equipment names....

So I got brave at my OS appointment and signed up for my left knee to be replaced on St. Paddy's Day! I swore for the first few weeks of recovery that I would never do this again no matter what, but it seems a shame to waste my new good knee by dragging this other painful leg around. I am hoping to plan pain control better this time around among other things I might improve upon.
 
Sounds like a wonderful plan to have two good knees. That is what I based my decision on - why have one painfree knee and still be limited and in pain after activity. Best wishes for March and Happy Thanksgiving. Keep us posted on your progress and your March surgery.
 
JUDE'S JOURNEY: RLS and BPPV - It's about 10 weeks since my RTKR and today my knee felt it's best yet after a couple of weeks of feeling like little progress was going....am sure it was behind the scenes. Or maybe it's because I had a 5-day break from PT. Problems now are a recurrence of BPPV, a positional vertigo I had a few years ago. Put that together with RLS that just cropped up and I have a real dilemma as the RLS makes me move and change position all night which triggers the vertigo. Arghhh.

I read the paper here on how RLS can happen after knee surgery and possible things to do to make it better but would appreciate any comments from anyone who has had this problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom