THR Solar 7's recovery

I'm suffering from depression undoubtedly, not sure what to do about it though.
Although post-op blues are normal, the kind of depression you are describing really needs to be addressed or it can slow your physical recovery. You might need short-term treatment with a mild anti-depressant to get you through this phase of recovery.

Please contact your PCP and share your situation. If he/she won't prescribe medication, ask for a referral to someone who can.
 
@Solar7 I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so low. I'm not sure if this is applicable where you live but my son was recently offered help through a social worker. His primary doctor made the referral and just having her to talk to seems to be helping him and she also helped tweak his medication a bit.
I hope you can speak with your Primary care doctor soon.
 
I am sorry you're struggling with depression. I agree with those that encouraged you to contact your PCP for advice, resources and meds temporarily if the situation warrants. You mentioned you are fearful of falling or dislocation, causing you to dwell on the negative. In an effort to avoid being as sedentary, consider pushing yourself more. Possibly using a cane until you're feeling steadier on your feet will help. Think about trying to get downstairs and out of your bedroom multiple times per day to begin with. Take baby steps and when you're confident in doing that, try venturing out of your home for a short time daily so you feel part of the world again. It may just boost your mood and the fresh air and sunshine can't hurt either.
I hope you begin feeling better soon.
@Solar7
 
I hope you're feeling better on this three month anniversary of your THR.
Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas and many blessings to you in the New Year!
@Solar7
 
Thanks everyone for the kind words since my last post. Unfortunately my health coverage doesn't include anything for mental health. I'm trying to push myself with a little bit more activity lately and spend more time with people. It's helped some.

Unfortunately on Saturday I tweaked my leg getting out of an Uber, and happened to have locked myself out of the house (I have a key coded door but the batteries died), so I had to sit outside in my backyard and wait in the cold for my dad to drive over with my spare keys, lol. The next morning I really suffered, but by evening with some ice, pain meds, and a nap, I was back at it and feeling good by the afternoon.

But then last night I went to a holiday party and beat some college kids in beer pong. That involved moving quickly and twisting in ways I haven't in a while, so I'm officially part of the ODIC today, lol. Been in bed pretty much all day, might navigate over to the couch, but that's it for today!

Trying to let myself not overthink and just enjoy Christmas and New Years, then make life changes as possible.
 
Trying to let myself not overthink and just enjoy Christmas and New Years, then make life changes as possible.
It sounds like you're already making those changes. Having some fun. Good for you!
I hope you recover from Beer Pong...whatever that is? :what:
I'll go do a quick search and educate myself. :wink:
 
I think if you're bouncing back the next day then the hip is good. We're same dates and I'm the same.
I have a full on day that wears me out but the next day I'm ready to go again.

You're doing well:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::SUNsmile:
 
So happy to hear that you got yourself out of the house for some social activity. Laughing here about the beer pong.
I've always found that pushing myself out the door usually makes me feel better.
Unfortunately on Saturday I tweaked my leg getting out of an Uber, and happened to have locked myself out of the house (I have a key coded door but the batteries died), so I had to sit outside in my backyard and wait in the cold for my dad to drive over with my spare keys, lol. The next morning I really suffered, but by evening with some ice, pain meds, and a nap, I was back at it and feeling good by the afternoon.
Aww, sorry that you were in pain after getting locked out of your home, what a sinking feeling! But your recovery from that sounds pretty good, that's very hopeful.
 
Last edited:
Trying to let myself not overthink and just enjoy Christmas and New Years, then make life changes as possible.
It sounds like you're already making those changes. Having some fun. Good for you!
I hope you recover from Beer Pong...whatever that is? :what:
I'll go do a quick search and educate myself. :wink:
Think of one of those carnival games where you try to throw a ring or ball into a cup or tiny glass... then break it out into teams and have people throwing ping pong balls. When I was in college, it was normally played on a ping pong table with beer in the cups... these days it's more specialized narrow tables, and we fill the cups with water instead of beer that a dirty ball has been in. Much more hygienic!

I think if you're bouncing back the next day then the hip is good. We're same dates and I'm the same.
I have a full on day that wears me out but the next day I'm ready to go again.

You're doing well:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::SUNsmile:
Good to hear! Merry Christmas!
 
A standard followup post with a question... for those familiar with the anterior approach, is it concerning to get more numb down my thigh? Near the incision, it kinda has come and gone, until last night's ODIC. Now the whole thigh is numb down to the knee and fairly cold.

Nothing awful, just looking for thoughts. I generally feel much better than this morning.
 
Numbness comes with this recovery at different stages. I wouldn't be too concerned.
Sometimes still get a little numbness.
 
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the thigh and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process. Hopefully this eases your mind.
A great day to you, Solar!
@Solar7
 
My husband had anterior approach in 2019. His recovery was successful however he still has numbness down his thigh.

It's not painful, just tingly to touch. He thinks it's getting better but he doesn't think about it.
 
Anterior a year and a half ago and still numb on thigh. I’m just used to it now…everything else healed up great, can’t complain. 99/100 :)

So, I wouldn’t sweat the numbness. If it heals up, great, if it doesn’t, won’t end up being a big deal
 
Well, I just think it's odd that the numbness has grown sharply in the past few days. It used to just be around the incision - now it's going all the way to my knee... three months after. Suddenly happened on Tuesday.

Incision is hurting today. Every day it's something new! Sheesh.
 
@Solar7 yeah, that something new every day is unfortunately how most recoveries go. Its pretty much like riding an out of control roller coaster. Once you get rid of one glitch, zip, zap etc then another one takes its place. Have you tried icing around the incision area to see if that helps? Or you could try a heating pad and see if that helps. I'm 4+ years out and I still occasionally ice or use heat.
 
I still ice & use heating pad occasionally if I overdo. You are making yourself nervous by over thinking each ache & pain. As you are reading here, we all have had many of the same issues even long term well after a year. This is not to say you will or to be discouraging in anyway.
You won't magically wake up one day and be 100% pain free, doesn't seem to work that way for most of us.
Hang in there, you will see progression but you need to let your body (and hip) lead the way.
All my best.
 
Leg is feeling good today, so that's a welcome sign going into an overly busy Christmas weekend. Have a bowling thing tonight (I'm going to sit and watch), then meeting some friends for drinks.

Once I finally get to my parents' on Sunday afternoon I'll be able to relax a little. Right now my hair's on fire! Lol.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all if I don't check in again until after the weekend.
 
Enjoy your weekend and merry Christmas. Here's hoping the New year is a good one.:santa-dance::presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Back
Top Bottom