THR Solar 7's recovery

Hello my hippy twin.:wave:

You can excercise all day but if you eat like a horse you're not going to lose weight. Sure you build muscle and that burns fat,raises your metabolism which is great but if you say have a cappuccino and muffin after you're nullifying what you've worked off.

Cutting down carbs and sugar is important. Here in Australia sugar is often referred to a the new heroin...highly addictive, makes you fat and a higher risk for dementia plus a whole lot of other risk factors for other diseases . Spikes your blood sugar as well.not good.

More protein to fill you up and keep you full.
Here it's summer so I'm drinking more alcohol and eating more bbq and salads and the weight is staying off.

Just walk...30 minutes a day or 150 minutes a week in total but whatever you can manage for now being 4 months on , good for the hip and muscles as well,eat more mindfully and fill a water bottle up and drink up.

Sleep,very important for weight loss,healing, mental health. A good 7 hours plus each night.

Wish you well.:flwrysmile:
Hi hip twin!

Cutting down calories is 100% part of my diet. Like I mentioned in my older post, the goal is roughly 1200 calories or less. I'm not a sugar guy. By nature, when I go on my annual diet, it's a lot of greens and proteins, minimal sugar. I actually hate cakes, cookies, pies, and all of that.

Booze is unfortunately my enemy. I can cut it off successfully, but I always want to go back. Still, I take this healthy break almost every year.

Drinking lots of water, eating vegetables, and sleeping 8+ hours are definitely my healthiest habits.
 
“Abs are made in the kitchen”
When I worked at a gym the joke was...

Female client: what do I need to eat to get a fat booty? Rice?

Trainer: go do barbell squats

Female client: how many crunches should I do for abs?

Trainer: chicken

The unfortunate truth about abs is they won't show unless you're bf% is very low, so your nutrition has to be locked down.

@Solar7 if you want to do a cut

-don't go below 100g of protein (1g per lean pound of body mass is better)

-don't go below 50g of fat

-you can't get enough vitamins at 1200 calories, so consider using a CICO app that has micro nutrition stats, and supplement accordingly.
I'll be following this, for sure! Thanks for the advice.

I'm not looking for abs myself, just decent shape. I think my prime bodyweight is around 160-170, and I believe I'm between 200-210 right now. Not afraid to eat a lot less. I'm certainly not going to starve to death. But I want to be mindful of what my body is doing to heal around this hip replacement.

I lost 40 lbs after the main part of the pandemic, so looking to kinda do the same.
 
@Hotchocolate chicken ! I’m dying. That’s so funny, and true. As I’m eating my salad and chicken for meal #1.
 
Had a really concerning tweak the other night doing absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. A sudden, instant BAM and I couldn't put weight on the leg. Thought that was it, the dreaded dislocation. Thankfully, I was in a spot where I could kind of just fall over onto my good side and lay down.

It faded and I was able to walk again, but I'm still dealing with soreness. Really wish I knew what happened.

On one hand, I'm kind of disappointed that at 4.5 months, I'm not really confident in my leg yet. Unless my car is in the parking lot more or less within eyeshot or my house is within eyeshot, I really second guess if I should be doing something.

On the other hand I know I know I partially have myself to blame for not exercising enough and building strength. I think the upcoming diet and becoming less top heavy will help things out. We shall see!
 
Good luck with your dietary changes. I know they will help tremendously. Also if you slowly increase your exercise you will definitely feel stronger in the next few months. I am there with dropping some weight and increasing exercise. Though I feel strong in my hip, I still fall back into a rolling gait I developed before surgery.
Good luck! It all takes time.
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Great news on the diet / weight loss. Wishing you luck as you add exercise to the mix.
Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. :wave:
@Solar7
 
Ease into it, and if you can, find a knowledgeable trainer to help work on the right things. Good luck!
 
Today was Pokémon Go Tour, which means they had 8 hours of activities and special Pokémon available. Lots of walking... my true big test!

I played all 8 hours and walked 9.2 miles, never really stopping to sit or anything! Minimal OTC painkillers were there for before and mid-journey, but nothing major. What a huge confidence builder!

We'll see how soreness affects me in the morning, but I do intend to play again in the morning. Hoping this results in getting sub-200 by Monday AM in combination with my diet.
 
I played all 8 hours and walked 9.2 miles, never really stopping to sit or anything!
Wow, that is impressive! How are you feeling today? Did it put you on the ODIC bench, or did your hip take it in stride?
 
I played all 8 hours and walked 9.2 miles, never really stopping to sit or anything!
Wow, that is impressive! How are you feeling today? Did it put you on the ODIC bench, or did your hip take it in stride?
My hip feels great, but unfortunately I messed up my big toe on my surgical side (it was looking bad and then I stubbed it when I got home, think I might lose the toenail)... and most intensely, my non-surgical side knee is KILLING me. I'm talking excruciating, limping pain. I'm a little worried I might have torn/pulled something it's so bad. We'll see after a day or two, but I've been laid up most of the day letting it heal up and be iced.

I'll update in a day or two - my hip area feels pretty great though. Lots of leg soreness, but the good kind of sore.
 
Wow. Well done! And for losing the weight too . I am having a dry Feb and put on weight.. grrrgh! Not sure what I am doing wrong but it is depressing. I did note I am more tempted to have sweet stuff. Guess that is a result of giving up wine.

6 months on my hip is doing ok but still with sone annoying numbness and stiffness. Hopefully this will resolve ..
 
We'll see after a day or two, but I've been laid up most of the day letting it heal up and be iced.
You are wise to do this. I hope it improves after a couple of days. Please let us know!
 
My legs are still sore overall but that excruciating knee pain is gone, thankfully. Tomorrow or the next day I'll be able to start using my recumbent bike again, and take some walks.
 
Well, I hit the 6 month mark a few days back... things are going pretty well, but certainly not perfect.

What really stinks is that I had an appointment with my primary care physician for tomorrow since I can't follow up with my surgeon... and my PCP quit his practice yesterday.

Now I have to go through finding a new doctor and all new referrals for everything. Wahoo.
 
@Solar7 Oh drat! That is a real nuisance! Can the staff at your PCP's office suggest someone else? Or do you know of another good PCP in your area?
 
Well, that stinks and I am sorry you have gotten stuck in the middle of things. If it helps, my PCP- my second one- dropped out a the practice and left me feeling like nobody could replace her.
I stayed with the practice and was handed over to the 'new Dr." She had the youngest baby face!
Well, she is amazing. so very thorough, too. I hope things work out similarly for you, also.
 
Oh criminy I HATE when that happens!!!
 
Solar,
Same thing happened to me, my primary for last 30 years retired suddenly right before my annual physical. And primary doctors are very difficult to find. Fortunately the practice assigned me a new doctor, I had the choice of looking elsewhere but all my records are there & I didn't want to go looking. My partner had to find primary last year when he went on Medicare & it was a nightmare. I think he went to several places before he found a doctor to take him. With Medicare you have to have a primary.
See if where your primary has been if they can just give you another doctor???
All my best.
 
Back
Top Bottom