THR Solar 7's recovery

@Solar7 you may want to step back from that more than just one session. I had a PT manipulate my SI joints of her own accord and basically set me so far back in recovery that it was almost like starting over. She caused me pain, swelling and difficulty walking. Needless to say that was the end of my PT sessions and will think real long and hard about going if I ever have to have lefty done.
 
Just a little Saturday update... close to a month since I went under the knife. All in all, I'm happy with the recovery, but over the past week I've felt like the implant/leg feels a little bit alien. I don't know if my mind is still just trying to get over the mindset that for nearly two years the leg was not to be trusted, or what. Or maybe it's the tweaks and minor pains that are making me go yikes.

I spent the most time outside I've done since the surgery (only about 20/30 minutes) to observe the eclipse this morning, which was nice but a little underwhelming.

Still debating PT and my next steps. I was intent on telling them off a little yesterday, but felt good and was really pleased with how effortless the balance board had become in just a week of work. So, there's three more paid sessions set up for next week, and I'd have four more after that before seeing my surgeon for what is supposed to be "release." But the release is only happening because he's moving away, and I don't know if I should transition to care with another doctor in the practice, or fly/drive down to Phoenix for a 3 month check-in with the original surgeon in his new practice.

That brings me to my next internal debate: how cautious I'm going to continue to be with activity. The surgeon has put major caution at the forefront of my mind, leading to me doing absolutely nothing but sitting in the house and going to PT activities. He's even said I shouldn't be going out unless I'm absolutely sure there's no chance of obstacles or unexpected falls, like avoiding friends' houses who might have pets or throw rugs or whatever. I still haven't driven.

Right now my best friend is supposed to be in town for Thanksgiving and if I were to follow my surgeon's cautions, I'd see him for no more than a quick 10 minute hello if he can make it by wherever I'm living at the time. At the two month mark, I'm tempted to say "screw it" and maybe resume a normal life. Then again, the other side of me says "you've gone through too much to throw it all away a month early because you're impatient, you'll have the chance to do this later." I imagine the caution is because I'm coming off of a pelvic break and have major atrophy in this left (surgical leg) still, and probably will for quite some time.

Being stir crazy is a big problem! At least the new Spider-Man game comes out on Friday, so I'll have something to sink my teeth into for 30ish hours.
 
Hi @Solar7 From what I've read on this forum it seems to me that it's the younger fitter folk who have the greatest struggle with the necessary reduced activity of recovery. Just keep listening to your body and be prepared to rest and ice as you gradually increase your activity. The loss of muscle tone you describe will make the joint more vulnerable so please be careful. As others have said, walking is the best exercise after hip replacement.
Enjoy the new Spider-Man game but don't sit still for too long!
 
@Solar7 Hmmm it sounds to me like your surgeon is ultra conservative about recovery from hip replacement even with a history of a pelvic break. Generally speaking one can drive when you don't need daytime narcotic pain meds and can move your leg easily through the motions of driving -- even the emergency ones. I was given the OK to drive at 6 weeks post op and that was with having 2 hips replaced at once. And yes one does need to be a bit cautious about avoiding falls BUT that does not mean you need to confine yourself to your house! Getting together with friends is a big help during recovery - either at your home, their home, or a public place. And walking outside (if the weather is conducive to such activity), even if you still need a cane or crutches, is good for your gait and strengthening your leg as well as getting sun on your face and fresh air in your lungs.

Maybe talk to your PT people about any specific cautiousness YOU need to take when going out and about.
 
Definitely see your friend… it will feel It is part of getting back to normal… I was going out within a month of the op with a cushion for hard restaurant seats and using two crutches. Everyone understood if I had to get up and stretch for a bit and my friends’ senses of humour cheered me up and I was delighted they made an effort to see me. I would completely crash out the following day to recover as v tired but it was worth it.
 
I agree with the others…fresh air and time with friends will help your morale, which is so important for healing. Isolation and boredom can lead to depression.

When I was a few weeks out from my second hip surgery, I had two friends over and they brought pastries from the local bakery. We sat out on my patio (me with my legs up on a chaise lounge) and drank tea and ate pastries and chatted. It was a very good day! Cheered me up a lot.

You can see friends and get outside without stressing your hip.
 
@Solar7 I agree with @djklaugh and @SurreyGirl , see your friend(s), get out in the fresh air, and just listen to your body and be aware of your surroundings.

After I had my spine surgery at about 2-3 weeks out, my friends were having their annual ornament exchange party. I really, really wanted to go and see all my friends and catch up. So hubby piled me and my walker, decorated with a bright red Christmas bow, into the car and off we went. I wasn't really in need of the walker much at home but knew there would be tons of rambunctious kids so that was my safety barrier. It worked really well and keeping the kids from knocking into me. All my friends were awesome about making sure I had the most comfortable seat for me and any food and drinks. It did me a world of good, went home and slept like a rock! :banana-santa:
 
Is there anything else about your medical history that your doctor is taking into consideration? That could explain the tighter rules. As a slightly more mature hippie, I do not see a month as such a long entity. Today I was supposed to go out to eat but it was raining. I am not ready for rainy walks yet so lunch was at my house. I probably could have done it successfully but I could easily work around it.
 
Hi @Solar7 From what I've read on this forum it seems to me that it's the younger fitter folk who have the greatest struggle with the necessary reduced activity of recovery.
Makes sense! Especially after a year and a half away from normal activity. The most I've been doing for a long time now is maybe going to the movies, or walking from the parking lot into a restaurant to sit. My brain wants to get out there but simultaneously isn't used to being able to go out! I think I have my own mental block of what I'm really capable of doing now, because I couldn't even stand for 5 minutes before surgery.

@Solar7 Hmmm it sounds to me like your surgeon is ultra conservative about recovery from hip replacement even with a history of a pelvic break. Generally speaking one can drive when you don't need daytime narcotic pain meds and can move your leg easily through the motions of driving -- even the emergency ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if I can drive. My car is at my house (and I am not) so that's probably the biggest restriction. If I can do leg presses, I can handle the pedal.

@Solar7 Getting together with friends is a big help during recovery - either at your home, their home, or a public place. And walking outside (if the weather is conducive to such activity), even if you still need a cane or crutches, is good for your gait and strengthening your leg as well as getting sun on your face and fresh air in your lungs.
I guess the problem is that my friends don't really have interest in coming all the way out here to sit here and watch me play videogames, and I can't really get out to see them. Walking around the neighborhood isn't exactly very good for sightseeing. It's just concrete and rows of houses, lol. The wonders of the American Southwest. I do need to try testing exactly how long I can walk... it feels unlimited from my experiences going to PT.

Definitely see your friend… it will feel It is part of getting back to normal… I was going out within a month of the op with a cushion for hard restaurant seats and using two crutches. Everyone understood if I had to get up and stretch for a bit and my friends’ senses of humour cheered me up and I was delighted they made an effort to see me. I would completely crash out the following day to recover as v tired but it was worth it.
I'll be aiming to do that over Thanksgiving, but we'll see. If he stays on the Strip... I don't know. It's a month today, so maybe it's about time to risk a restaurant or something. I don't need crutches/walker/cane for anything, so maybe it's worth trying. I don't think I'll be as delighted with my friends' efforts, sadly. Not that I have bad friends, but people are busy and far away.

@JusticeRider & @Elf1 I'll just sort of point to the above as my friends go... I'm definitely struggling with depression already. I suppose part of it is also pride... I'm not very interested in getting out in front of people whether friends or strangers and looking weak. That said, I'm doing pretty well and it's getting close to beginning to risk it, even if that means waiting two weeks until my final appointment with my surgeon.

Is there anything else about your medical history that your doctor is taking into consideration? That could explain the tighter rules. As a slightly more mature hippie, I do not see a month as such a long entity. Today I was supposed to go out to eat but it was raining. I am not ready for rainy walks yet so lunch was at my house. I probably could have done it successfully but I could easily work around it.
I did break my pelvis last year, so that's the big medical hurdle. Instead of just a deteriorating hip over a long time like I'm imagining many here have dealt with, I laid on my back in bed for three months with no weight bearing, was in a wheelchair when in public, and my legs atrophied. I never got the physical therapy one would get after a broken pelvis because we were solving the mystery of why my non-broken side was such a problem.

I just never really got the strength that I needed, and as a bonus, put on weight on my upper body because I couldn't exercise it off. Since early/mid 2021, I put on 40 lbs and didn't use my legs, so from just under 170 to over 200. I've lost 15 or so since the surgery, but blah. That adds to complications.
 
Separately from last post: my ONE MONTH update!

I'm basically graduated from all PT workouts that don't involve resistance equipment, with the exception of bridges, balancing on the operative leg, and the balance board. Otherwise, everything is involving weights (which I know isn't what Bonesmart typically suggests). They haven't been painful to do, so I'm doing them. But boy... am I wiped today. I came home starving and really need a nap.

But PT is really happy with my progress, says the hip seems great, they like my range of motion, I seem well ahead of where many people are after this surgery.

The debate between myself and my parents has now moved to the "what's next" stage of things. I'm two weeks away from my final appointment with the surgeon. If he "clears" me, I'm wondering exactly what that means. Go home? Drive unrestricted? Go anywhere and everywhere? Halloween parties? Resume drinking alcohol? Start my job hunt and tell them I'm ready for 40-60 hour weeks ASAP? Start dating again? End PT?

Or... is it still a slow curve into activity at the 3 month point? Will I still need some help and need to take things conservatively?

All in all I'm happy to be where I am, it's beat my initial expectations. I don't want to get too ahead of myself though.
 
I am not certain if you're looking for answers to the questions above, but I'll take a stab at it.

If it were me, I'd go home and acclimate with the new hip, you'll easily establish a routine at this point and should be fine on your own.

You may be released to drive, but driving unrestricted may not be comfortable. It took me a few months to even want to be in a car longer than 30-40 minutes due to restricted movement from the tight confines of a car seat.

I believe your energy level will dictate how often, and for how long, you'll want to be engaged in any particular activity. As far as parties go, I think common sense will tell you what's safe and what you're able to tolerate. I certainly wouldn't advise partying hearty and risking a stumble and possible dislocation at this early date.

I don't see any reason why you can't begin a job search. We do recommend a Phased Return to Work beginning at twelve weeks post op, and if you were offered a job soon, possibly you can work something out with your employer.

As far as quitting PT, we don't recommend PT, it in most instances. It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.

Dating... you can date whenever you feel ready.

Have a nice week, Solar!
@Solar7
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the driving I have the all clear at around 6 weeks.

I think that whatever you plan is ok provided you use common sense when it comes to shielding your hip in the early weeks from anything that could accidentally cause harm. You may feel great but everything in there is still trying to knit together.

Personally I'd move away from my parents asap. You'd cope at your own home without them bouncing you.

You're progress is fantastic.
 
Last edited:
Recovery, home, and work are the majors for most. Recreational activities are the minors. I would focus on the big things and once they were managed, I would move to the small things. I am only doing recovery now because once I resume work I will struggle to have time just to focus on recovery or rest. My time will be stretched over so many other things. Good luck with your decisions!
 
I am not certain if you're looking for answers to the questions above, but I'll take a stab at it.
I'm always open to feedback! I enjoy hearing perspectives from everyone here.

If it were me, I'd go home and acclimate with the new hip, you'll easily establish a routine at this point and should be fine on your own.
It's just so much work getting everything home... I might give it the remaining two weeks. I don't know yet. But even at two weeks I've had it up in the air, and I'd imagine your suggestion still stands then, haha.

You may be released to drive, but driving unrestricted may not be comfortable. It took me a few months to even want to be in a car longer than 30-40 minutes due to restricted movement from the tight confines of a car seat.
I can't imagine anywhere I'm going to drive to over 30-40 minutes, but maybe a trip out to a nearby town while the weather is cooling could be a possibility and something to think about with 30-40 minute distances. Maybe I should go for a drive near my parents' house and see at what point I start to feel uncomfortable sitting in one spot for too long.

I believe your energy level will dictate how often, and for how long, you'll want to be engaged in any particular activity. As far as parties go, I think common sense will tell you what's safe and what you're able to tolerate. I certainly wouldn't advise partying hearty and risking a stumble and possible dislocation at this early date.
My energy is so confusing! Yesterday I was majorly exhausted after PT, almost to the point that I was concerned, but I have to remind myself I'm only a month removed from major surgery with weak legs. I'll have to ease myself into party activities, but Halloween looms large. But I don't get cleared until the 31st, and I doubt anyone will be throwing big parties on Tuesday night. Maybe I can find something mellow. :martini:

I don't see any reason why you can't begin a job search. We do recommend a Phased Return to Work beginning at twelve weeks post op, and if you were offered a job soon, possibly you can work something out with your employer.
Work definitely scares me. My career is intrinsically stressful, fast-paced, and I very much doubt I'll be able to find a sympathetic employer. While I'm going to acknowledge my recent surgery/accident in interviews as part of an explanation as to why I have a gap in employment, starting out slow is probably off the table.

As far as quitting PT, we don't recommend PT, it in most instances. It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.

Dating... you can date whenever you feel ready.
I do think my body appears to be ready to do some strengthening, but I wonder if it's worth the out-of-pocket costs. Maybe I'll let them know I'm going to cut it off and work slowly in the gym on a few things while focusing on walking and recumbent biking.

Dating will be weird! I don't know how women are going to react to a hip replacement and if they'll consider it an "old" thing. Who knows?

Thanks for the help!

Recovery, home, and work are the majors for most. Recreational activities are the minors. I would focus on the big things and once they were managed, I would move to the small things. I am only doing recovery now because once I resume work I will struggle to have time just to focus on recovery or rest. My time will be stretched over so many other things. Good luck with your decisions!
I'm personally worried about putting work too far ahead of recreational activity so I don't run head first into stress and depression without enjoying some of the benefits of recovery. Just like you're saying, once I resume work I'll struggle to have time to focus on recovery, rest, or even just plain fun. Long hours, weekend work, always having the next project in the back of my mind while just trying to enjoy dinner... blah!

:sos:
 
Feh. I went out to check out some office chairs on my first journey out of the house outside of PT. Ran into a friend, which is wild - I haven't seen them in a year and a half, and the first place I go anywhere, I run into someone immediately. Someone I even talk to every day! It's amazing we didn't both mention we were heading out to OfficeMax, since we talk about the minutae of the day all the time.

My dad and I stood and talked with him for ~10 minutes, then sat in some chairs. For some reason, my back flared up really bad. I don't have bad back pain in general, but it definitely kicked in. We stopped to have some lunch and by the time I stood up to go to the bathroom before leaving, I couldn't confidently make it to the bathroom back to the entrance because of my back.

I don't get it. I tried some brand new running shoes - the same style I was wearing before surgery that were the only shoes I could walk in comfortably. What the hell happened?

Now I'm home and can barely move. Zero leg or joint pain, though.
 
I'm sorry your back is giving you trouble.... :sad:
Hope it is feeling a bit better today.
A heating pad might help?

My bad hips caused me alot of back pain (along with my labor intensive job) and all of the investigating my back pain delayed my hip diagnosis....
It took a while after my surgery before it really subsided.

Regarding shoes... I have found that ever since I had my hips replaced, they don't like certain types of shoes (even types I had before and worked well) and also bother my back...
One pair even bothered my shin...
I assume it is all about the gait and pronuncation of the foot.
I had 2 pairs (fairly expensive) that I eventually gave to charity...

I have Brooks that really work well for me and a pair of Sketchers...
Unfortunately, I don't have a method for this.
The others felt good walking about in the store but just didn't work out.:shrug:
 
I can still get back pain if I overdo or stand too long in one spot, like prepping a meal at counter, cutting veggies, and beginning to cook more complicated meal. Add bending to go in and out of oven and there you go...back pain.
Best thing is ice and relax. If I take a nice long stretch my back usually goes back to normal. I have floor exercises for my back, have had back issues off and on over the course of last 30 years due to type of work and just my age.
When I started driving again I just went around the block in my car to see if I could hit brake ok. Like everyone else here sitting in car for any length of time was difficult. I found within one hour I needed to get out of car.
I'm sure getting back to your own place will be easier than you are thinking. And I'm sure your parents will be happy as well!
I enjoyed some wine (one glass) probably a month or so into recovery (honestly don't remember), but we enjoy wine here in cooler weather. I was off narcotics very early, made me nauseous so stopped taking them.
I wouldn't go too crazy with alcohol for simple reason you could trip and fall.
There will be plenty more Halloweens in your future.
Take time to recover.
All my best.
 
Thankfully two days or so of rest seem to have resolved the back pain. I'll bring my shoes to PT tomorrow to see if it's normal to them that running shoes can cause back pain. Another thought is that maybe standing and balancing on only the operative leg was just too much, and my back suffered for it a day later. Or maybe it's the foot pain I've been experiencing in my balancing exercises. Since the accident, my feet have been a big problem for pain.

Otherwise things are going pretty well. Might move to 2x a week PT next week and potentially end it.

12 days until "release!"
 
Another thought is that maybe standing and balancing on only the operative leg was just too much, and my back suffered for it a day later.
I would say it is probably the PT. Unfortunately the after effects of over doing usually don't show up on the day. You did PT and then had an active day following it. Sounds like you just joined the ODIC (over did it club).

You are only one month out from surgery. Slow and steady - plenty of time for strength training once that hip is healed.
 
Saturday update... PT couldn't figure out what was wrong with my back. I'm happy I'm seeing this particular PT, because everyone that's worked with me came to check in when I returned, and offer their thoughts. Ultimately we just agreed that I'm just going to have to be wary of it as I continue to heal.

I've finally agreed to an exit plan with the parents assuming my surgeon gives the all clear on the 31st. Over the next week we're packing things up in phases to go back to the house, getting some foods over there, all of that. I need to show my parents I can handle the stairs (no problem) and walk through the grocery store lifting some common items (no problem), along with driving the car (I assume not a problem).

I think it's @Hippie Chick that has mentioned going back to work stress - while I'm not returning to an old job, I'm definitely noticing my anxiety levels are skyrocketing knowing that the expectation if I return home is going to be that I'm now healthy enough to work. I've been worried about this point of recovery all along... that the reward for the struggle is going to be immediately diving into stress again. At the latest, I need to be working in January, as my parents aren't happy providing me a loan. I hate what I do but I don't have the luxury of taking a low paying, low stress job, since I have to pay them back.

I'm going to try my best to take some kind of a vacation before working so I get at least one little nugget of celebrating recovery before my life revolves around work again.

Long vent as usual, hah!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom